Any luck with class d waivers

Reaction score
Not sure if I just got the luck of the draw on the reviewer or not, but was trying to get a waiver for class d, 3 miles out from airport and stated my maximum height would be 100 feet agl. It was rejected and they suggested I could move two mile east and be approved. If I was 3 miles east I would be in class g and wouldn't be askling for a waiver. Going to try again with more details and a 50' altitude cap.

Anyone else have an airspace approval with suggested text to increase the chances. Most of the waivers I see being approved are not for airspace.

All class D requires is contacting ATC and telling them what you will be doing

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Class B, C, D and E are controlled airspaces. Controlled airspaces require ATC contact/notification. Especially Part 107! You must know that to pass your 107. We can not plead ignorance[emoji3]

Not for Part 107 flights.
Let me clarify. Should have expanded my comment. Part 107 flights require prior authorization before flying in controlled airspace.

I know they require ATC authorization, but was trying to have the waiver as a preexisting document for the local authorities. Some local citizens say you can't fly here and if you have the docs, it sort of closes that piece down.

trying to get a waiver for class d, 3 miles out from airport and stated my maximum height would be 100 feet agl.

Try for an Authorization, not Waiver. Maybe that's the problem. I did a Class D Authorization. 4.8NM on the 055 radial from KPOC, 200' AGL, 0.1 NM radius I also noted that I knew that I was on the runway heading of nearby KCCB (Class G) one mile away, knew the arrival / departure pattern having flown there and was also a current VFR ASEL certified pilot.

The more assurances you can give them as to your knowledge of the airspace the better chance of approval. If you have a VO that also may help.

Not to be pedantic but I believe that these are all controlled airspaces, regardless of hobby or 107, which I am sure that @Richard R is saying. As such, and as has been stated, they would require ATC authorization. That is not so much for this conversation but for anyone that comes along later reading this thread. With that said... I think that @daveisim is telling you what I have always heard as well. The more information that you can provide, the better chance that you will have of an approval which is to the point of what you originally asked.

I hope to know more after tomorrow. There is an FAA event in Hood River, Oregon from a Tower Controller at PDX, who will give an overview of the PDX Class C airspace (Topic: Controller/Pilot Forum with emphasis on ATC Control of PDX airspace and surrounding VFR towered airports)
I hope to be able to get a chance to ask just these type of questions since I live a little over 1.5 NM from there and have another smaller private airport about the same distance.

One of my questions is since we have numerous tall evergreens, we are the Pacific Northwest after all :), and I am surrounded by them; Is it possible to get a blanket authorization to fly line of sight BELOW the tree line with a VO? I have heard many that will say, "You can do whatever you want below tree line since no aircraft will be below that. You can even go a little above the trees!" While the logic may be true I am sure the legalities of that are not. No air traffic from PDX nor from Pearson would be that low... however there is this little thing called LifeFlight that may come over :)

Mostly what I would like to be able to do is to go up to a local park with others and "take our drones for a walk". There is a looped path around this park that is lined by trees that is perfect for learning to control and maneuver the aircraft. There are times when we would be to only people there.

With the recent snow and ice in the Columbia River Gorge the presenter cancelled today and will reschedule. :(

I will have to wait until later to get my questions answered I guess.

Class B, C, D and E are controlled airspaces. Controlled airspaces require ATC contact/notification. Especially Part 107! You must know that to pass your 107. We can not plead ignorance[emoji3]

Yes but Contact and Notification are not the same as Authorization and Or a Waiver. Under part 107. must you have a COA or can the Tower give you permission to fly in there airspace. I guess interpretation is everything. I read the Regulation as you must contact and get permission from the Controlling agency. Not the FAA and wait 90 days for a Waiver or Authorization.

All part 107 controlled airspace access requests (either waivers or authorizations) have to go through the FAA webpage online process. None are granted by directly contacting the ATC for the area of interest.

Reactions: JesterPhotog
Yes but Contact and Notification are not the same as Authorization and Or a Waiver. Under part 107. must you have a COA or can the Tower give you permission to fly in there airspace. I guess interpretation is everything. I read the Regulation as you must contact and get permission from the Controlling agency. Not the FAA and wait 90 days for a Waiver or Authorization.

Yes, I believe that you are correct. I have always taken it as read that in this discussion that we are speaking of authorization. I know that there is the camp out there where they say that "All I need to do is to 'notify the tower' and then I am good!" I see nowhere that that is the case. To the contrary, especially under Part 107, I read that you MUST obtain prior approval/authorization from ATC before lifting off.

The same advice for things read or found on Internet forums goes... Talk to a lawyer or the FAA. Internet "flight instructors", "pilots" or "lawyers" are just that, Internet somethings. At least that is what my wife's sister's hairdresser's nephew said that he read someone had said somewhere :)

So I would need a Authorization to shoot Real Estate here? I heard or seen somewhere that someone got a Blanket COA, is there such a thing? Like just for Real Estate jobs keeping it under 200' or something like that and you can pretty much go most places besides close to a Class B.

Actually, I don't think you need anything if your location is at that point indicated. You are in class g airspace, just close to the small airport in the center of the orange disk. As a hobby flier, you would contact the airport to notify them you were flying, but as a part 107 pilot, you aren't even required to to do that. Your app is giving you an advisory that you are close to the airport in question, nit telling you that flying there is restricted.

Reactions: JesterPhotog
You are in class g airspace, just close to the small airport in the center of the orange disk.

Yes. Agree.

But there in lies the rub of AirMap. It won't tell you why / where the things are that it's advising. And cluttering up the list with so many non-relevant things such as schools, hospitals, etc No option to not have them. And putting Advice items that are relevant way down on the list.

AitMap in general gives lots of false positives and not giving info on actual "Strictly Regulated" areas. It gives lots of false negatives by not putting items on the "Strictly Regulated" list. It is simply not trustworthy in this aspect.

Yes, I have emailed them about all this. A long time ago.

Be aware that when you change the settings from Hobby to Commercial that the airspace circles will change from NM to SM - at least for Class C airports.

B4UFLY is soooooo much better in showing actual airspace and giving a valid list of places when you ask it for Status..

I use B4UFLY (and sectionals - VFRMap.com) for everything except to get contact phone numbers. Yes the interface is a bit clunky and it doesn't auto update airspace as you scroll but it is trustworthy.

Yes, I believe that you are correct. I have always taken it as read that in this discussion that we are speaking of authorization. I know that there is the camp out there where they say that "All I need to do is to 'notify the tower' and then I am good!" I see nowhere that that is the case. To the contrary, especially under Part 107, I read that you MUST obtain prior approval/authorization from ATC before lifting off.

The same advice for things read or found on Internet forums goes... Talk to a lawyer or the FAA. Internet "flight instructors", "pilots" or "lawyers" are just that, Internet somethings. At least that is what my wife's sister's hairdresser's nephew said that he read someone had said somewhere :)

If you are a hobbyist you can fly in controlled airspace with notification to the tower and airport management. You don't ask for permission. They won't grant it. you call and tell them where, when, how long, alt., etc and they say "thank you" and hang up. No permission needed. This is all on the FAA.gov website.

If you are a Part 107 commercial pilot then you MUST get an Airspace Authorization from FAA by submitting a request through the online portal.

NO EXCEPTIONS (yet)

You can not just all the tower if you are flying commercially and ask for permission.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl