Antenna Mod - Mavic

Reaction score
So, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how hard it will be to add the small DBS antenna to the Mavic Controller?

Ocusync or lightbridge, the ITELITE antennas should work... With of course a new mounting bracket!

What do you all think?

@DirtyBird
@GadgetGuy (you've been quiet on the Mavic?)
@MaxxUAVJake

Let's discuss! 27 minute and lightweight bird, an antenna mod might push this little drone farther with less than the P4 or P3!

Maybe Windsurfers will be enough to get 5 miles? 6?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lets get some lighting arrangement for this small bird so that we can see it from far.

Windsurfers and other range extenders will definitely work conceptually but would need redesign.

Lets get some lighting arrangement for this small bird so that we can see it from far.

Windsurfers and other range extenders will definitely work conceptually but would need redesign.
who needs a antenna mod when it goes out 4 miles already

4 miles? lol. That's pretty far! But 4.7 or 5 miles is possible with just an antenna mod on a P4.... With the Mavic it goes 4 miles out of the box (P4 said 3.1 which I never could get).... But if I wonder is 6 miles possible with wind surfers or a mod?

Reactions: MrTommy and jeganx
I disagree... It will go 6 miles on a battery! lol.

If this bird is lighter, it probably will have an optimal speed of 35 or 36mph, 6 miles is possible.....

Reactions: dirtybum

People are always going to try for more. I have no doubts that 5 or 6 miles will be possible without doing a battery mod.

I would add a antenna mod.... I love the portability, but for the spontaneous and quick needs, the wifi and phone will due

I disagree... It will go 6 miles on a battery! lol.

If this bird is lighter, it probably will have an optimal speed of 35 or 36mph, 6 miles is possible.....

So you're saying the battery will do a 12 miles round-trip going 35mph? Even with no wind, the 21 minute normal flight time advertised by DJI(15% reserve) doesn't really allow for that. I don't think you'll ever fly zero wind, and I don't think 35mph qualifies as normal flight. A constant 35mph and you're probably looking at 18 minutes.

Reactions: flpholt
People are always going to try for more.

Sure,
But the Mavic really doesn't look like the kind of drone to strap extra batteries on.
Or put a panel on the remote. It barely holds a phone, lol.

To me, modding a Mavic, would be like putting a lift kit on a station wagon.
Some people will want to do it, but just a few.
That's just my thought, tho.

8 miles round trip stock, is pretty far, as it is.

I guess time will tell, if everyone wants to mod out a Mavic.

Last edited:
I love how compact the Mavic is.
I hate lugging around a giant case, holding my P3.
Having everyone staring at you, wondering what's in the big box.

The Mavic looks like it might even fit in my jacket pocket.

I'll save the P3 for mods.
It's more suited for that kind of thing.

As far as battery mod goes I am sure the Mavic can handle 200/ 300 grams of extra weight 3 cell batteries don't weigh much.i will be doing a batt mod.as for antenna mods if the itelite works I will still use my tripod mount with I pad then use a 4 foot lighting cable to the remote.

As far as battery mod goes I am sure the Mavic can handle 200/ 300 grams of extra weight 3 cell batteries don't weigh much.i will be doing a batt mod.as for antenna mods if the itelite works I will still use my tripod mount with I pad then use a 4 foot lighting cable to the remote.
I'm sure it's possible.
But looking at some released images of the Mavic,
I ask you, where you are going to mount the extra battery?
On top of the existing battery?
Anywhere else, is covering something up.
0-gif.65088

14324610_10157663722115413_1765025998926507158_o-jpg.65117

Yeah was thinking the same about the surfers, but last week I placed some surfers on my p3 controller and wend out to test it.
Usually without I could manage up to 3Km but amazingly with the surfers I got 5Km with almost full bars.

But.. Being in the Netherlands that is very crowded I spotted a problem, 5Km seems to be the spot where you already encounter a village or city, so basically 5Km is the widest that you can fly without crossing over populated areas :)

I'm sure it's possible.
But looking at some released images of the Mavic,
I ask you, where you are going to mount the extra battery?
On top of the existing battery?
Anywhere else, is covering something up.
0-gif.65088

14324610_10157663722115413_1765025998926507158_o-jpg.65117
maybe on the top there is plenty of room for a battery or bottom but underneath the bird is not a good idea risk of damage to the external lipo.one tiny hole in lipo and kaboom!!!I have mounted A battery on my p3 covering up the vps which I never use anyway.or maybe on the side with some 3M industrial Velcro tape.or maybe maxx UAV will come up with some kind of 3D printed batt mount?

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to see what people come up with.

Good luck.

Reactions: dirtybum
I love the idea of mod. But if it sacrifice the portability and compactness of Mavic, it somehow defeat the purpose of having a Mavic. Probably a foldable dbs? Then my gold sunhans can be easily fitted in this with a evolite-ish mount that is also easily detachable. Then it might work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart