Antenna Mod - Mavic

who needs a antenna mod when it goes out 4 miles already
ohh dear you haven't been flying DJI long have you lol
that 7km range will be flying in prefect conditions .
my P3 advance with light bridge was lucky to get 2000 feet unless it was wide openfields .
you need all the range you can get .

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ahhh..4.3 miles is plenty . Only 2000 feet you say... I get easy 2 km in the city with my P3P but some days just 1Km..many factors of course like K index...but you should be getting more than 2000 feet with your P3A

Reactions: flpholt
my P3 advance with light bridge was lucky to get 2000 feet unless it was wide openfields .

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app[/QUOTE
I've hit 6,200ft in my neighborhood with my p3a. Over 2 miles out in the country, and could have gone further. Stock no mods , not even windsurfers...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited by a moderator:

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app
if you are getting only 2000 feet with a p3a you must have a problem I can get better than that with my p3s in wifi congested area p3a 2 miles same spot

I have no doubt when you know what you're doing, you can assemble your own the ultimate kit and make significant gains with all the right parts. And it does sound like you know what you're doing. For my P4, I just purchased the Itellite antenna and necessary internal cables they offer online in a kit form. There's another kit that starts with the antenna and adds two Sunhans amps as well. But I was initially drawn to the cleaner look of just the antenna. After I installed the antenna, I noticed a significant gain in distance when I was flying in an open field (no obstructions). But when I attempted to fly around my own neighborhood, there was little to no gain in distance. The signal was lost as soon as any of the neighboring structures (homes) blocked the LOS between RC and drone. From what I've seen on YouTube, I knew I could do better. I've seen several videos posted where the drone pilot has take off from their backyard or front yard, and have flown out to much greater distances. In almost any urban area, as soon as you're a block way from home base, you're bound to have a building obstructing your LOS, unless you take it straight down the street. But that's not how these pilots are flying them. They're taking off in a rather tight area of homes and other buildings, and flying considerable distances to reach their downtown areas. They're taking off from their street and there are several obstacles between them and their drone during the flight. I'm not as interested in standing in an open field just to earn the ability to say I flew 8+ miles away. I'd prefer to fly around the home area and not be concerned with losing my signal two blocks away. I'm flying at altitudes of 200, and have tried taking it up to 300 and 400. My signal still drops off pretty quick.

To be fair, I have yet to drive to an open field and try this new configuration (since adding the amps) for a fairer comparison. But I can say that around my own neighborhood, I see no improvement and am losing my signal at about the same or close to the same distance as I was before adding the amps. Sorry for the long post. It just seems no matter what I modify, I can't achieve the distance others are achieving from their backyards. I'm getting a Mavic Pro soon and have decided to keep everything stock. I'll see how that goes for me.

sorry to hear. The issue is very complex.
Did you try different channels including up to 30? It's enough if one Wifi source along the way overrides your signal. It depends on so many parameters so it's every time very specific fot each location. Try consequently one channel after the other. Especially 21 upwards. What amps you got?

if you are getting only 2000 feet with a p3a you must have a problem I can get better than that with my p3s in wifi congested area p3a 2 miles same spot
This is what I keep thinking. My P3 4K also can get 2-3km easily in congested area, although the video feed already lost at about 1.5km, but it can still receive the 5.8Ghz signal. I think this is due to that most home/office wifi are using 2.4Ghz instead of the 5.8Ghz.

Are dji's antennas highly directional requiring the rc to be pointed at the drone the whole time?

Are dji's antennas highly directional requiring the rc to be pointed at the drone the whole time?
Yes. Even though it looks like an omni-directional antenna, but I've seen the inside. There's a long flat board as the antenna. It is directional.

I am being lazy, but do you think it is an internal issue or something that can be fixed as I am seeing similar behaviors with my P3A.

I picked up a used P3A and after 30-40M my remote starts reporting heavy interference (or whatever the error is) and I pull back down. My P1 can fly in the same area without issues, but I am only using a GoPro without streaming.

Actually, it has kept me from even flying it far or high because I am afraid of loosing it..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers