Another P3 dropped from the sky

I am impressed everytime by the group of guys on here that are able to give accurate analysis of the flight logs. Your service is greatly appreciated even though the news is sometimes bad at least it gives people an answer which is invaluable. I hope I never need your help but I'm glad you guys are here. Thank you

That's what I needed.

So I figured out what the actual cause of the crash was. I don't think you will be to happy about it either. First I'd like to say good to see you calibrate the compass prior to flight.

Now the part you hate to hear about which is the cause of the crash. The reason is due to someone installing Inspire1 Firmware. The data log clearly shows it has Inspire1 firmware..

Sorry to be the one of bad news, but at least you know now.

I just checked my downloads and sd card and I definatly used the correct Firmware for the Advanced - P3S_FW_V01.06.0040.bin (Inspire/ Pro / standard are named different to this, I just double checked)

But thank's for your help for trying to figure out what happened fly NFrank, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Now that is some interesting theory we've go here!

Considering that the P3 system would accept and function (as in work to some operational level) with an Inspire FW in the first place - I don't know about that but my guess it is indeed possible - then it is also possible that a FW from a different AC could cause a failure in propulsion originated in the battery system somehow.

In plain words, the FW could overload the maximum discharging capacity of the battery (commonly referred to as "C rating"), causing s shutdown or sudden voltage drop (or any other issue) in the battery or the smart management, or even in any of the subsequent systems such as ESCs, motors, etc.

That would most likely occur during a burst or other heavy demand maneuver (by command or otherwise) when the max load can be exceeded, and I'd guess it's even possible that a problem in the very P3 firmware could cause that as well in some very specific situations. Although I admit that DJI's engineering in both HW and FW are quite advanced, and most certainly operating within strict and rather safe margins. And... not discounting that we pilots can screw up this rather sophisticated system in so many ways as well, of course...

I'll check the specs of both P3 and Inspire batteries for C ratings and see about that. Tomorrow, because now I'll go out and do some flying and shooting around town - it's such a clear, warm and spectacular night here! :D

It wasn't the wrong FW, I still have it on the card I used, I updated the correct one for the advanced P3S_FW_V01.06.0040.bin (strange it is called P3S but thats the correct one, I just downloaded again from DJI to double check the name)

Now that is some interesting theory we've go here!

Considering that the P3 system would accept and function (as in work to some operational level) with an Inspire FW in the first place - I don't know about that but my guess it is indeed possible - then it is also possible that a FW from a different AC could cause a failure in propulsion originated in the battery system somehow.

In plain words, the FW could overload the maximum discharging capacity of the battery (commonly referred to as "C rating"), causing s shutdown or sudden voltage drop (or any other issue) in the battery or the smart management, or even in any of the subsequent systems such as ESCs, motors, etc.

That would most likely occur during a burst or other heavy demand maneuver (by command or otherwise) when the max load can be exceeded, and I'd guess it's even possible that a problem in the very P3 firmware could cause that as well in some very specific situations. Although I admit that DJI's engineering in both HW and FW are quite advanced, and most certainly operating within strict and rather safe margins. And... not discounting that we pilots can screw up this rather sophisticated system in so many ways as well, of course...

I'll check the specs of both P3 and Inspire batteries for C ratings and see about that. Tomorrow, because now I'll go out and do some flying and shooting around town - it's such a clear, warm and spectacular night here! :D

I can say that making such a mistake is very easy to do. You have to really look at the firmware prior to downloading it. It needs to be color coded, or something. So I saw the two main areas that show it as having inspire1. And because of that I did not look at the other areas I focus on. I did make some mental maps of how the crash begun by looking over the horizontal speed, the pitch, and roll readings. It appeared to wobble some before tumbling, rather then flipping or rolling throughout the fall..

I hope you can get back in the air soon!

Same happened to my p3p already sent in to Dji for repair. Checking my Rma online I see that it says assessed damages and repair needed . Then says payment receiveed under payment info, I never got a quote not ever submitted a payment ( does that mean warranty is covering repairs?). And if so what repairs and what caused my bird to fall from the sky ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18