Another Interesting Morning with the Vision+

Reaction score
This morning was interesting. I hiked maybe an hour through these mountains in my backyard.. not too far a hike, but long enough that when i finally got the phantom out of my backpack and set it up, calibrated, sat lock, look down at my app "NO SIM CARD" Dooh!!!! Then I remembered, my spare card I use to keep in my backpack is now in my Flytrex chip! And since it's the newest (well not anymore) Core 2, it still logs all the data on the chip until you install the card later and then it dumps the data to the card. So xfered the card to the camera... beautiful.. no show stoppers here... Then crap, left two of my props on the counter, luckily I have the spare props in another pocket! Sweet, another show stopper averted..

I do a test flight and bring her home, change the battery, and then I power up and get the 'Compass error' message via the app. The compass failure occurred when I had the phantom sitting on a huge rock rich in iron...

excerpt from wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_deviation
"magnetic deviation often refers specifically to compass error caused by magnetized iron within a ship or aircraft... This iron has a mixture of permanent magnetization and an induced (temporary) magnetization that is induced by the Earth's magnetic field."

I'm thinking **** I'm glad this app lets me know this before I fly. No problem, I do the compass dance, but it's not calibrating... red blinking lights... did it 4 times with no luck... Figured i would try one more time, finally, no blinking red lights, good satellite lock. I remembered Pullup's comment in another thread, perform a hover test before flying off... i did, and it did a major toilet bowl effect that I haven't seen in a while... i let it hover for a bit, and it eventually stabilized... but that told me enough info i needed.. don't take any chances, bring her back, hook her up to the assistant software to be safe and perform an advanced cali if needed. So who knows, maybe my experience and the help from this forum saved me from a pending accident. We'll never know.. but I have no regrets on playing it safe.. even with 4 full good batteries left.. :)

I take it you updated to 3.06? I'm having the same compass problem. No toilet bowl effect, I just keep on trying till I get calibration.

Never had that happen, but better safe than sorry! (Still on 1.08) :lol:

JWarren said:
I take it you updated to 3.06? I'm having the same compass problem. No toilet bowl effect, I just keep on trying till I get calibration.

Yep, i'm 3.06. I actually forgot to mention this. The compass failure occurred when I had the phantom sitting on a huge rock rich in iron...

excerpt from wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_deviation
"magnetic deviation often refers specifically to compass error caused by magnetized iron within a ship or aircraft"

This was without a doubt, the cause of my problem!

Noticed two things that Im not sure I noticed prior to 3.06

Before actually lifting off, often times the compass arrow is grossly inacurate. I think lift off and often have major TBE for maybe..two or 3 revolutions. During this time the compass arrow corrects itself and is then very accurate, much more accurate than prior to 3.06. At that point, all fine. I did notice twice that after landing but not powering off anything (except a full throttle down/stopping the motors), if I then pick up the Phantom and move it, I almostinstantly get the "compass needs calibrating". If I then power everything down and restart? No compass calibration message/no calibration required.

phantomguy said:
Noticed two things that Im not sure I noticed prior to 3.06

Before actually lifting off, often times the compass arrow is grossly inacurate. I think lift off and often have major TBE for maybe..two or 3 revolutions. During this time the compass arrow corrects itself and is then very accurate, much more accurate than prior to 3.06. At that point, all fine. I did notice twice that after landing but not powering off anything (except a full throttle down/stopping the motors), if I then pick up the Phantom and move it, I almostinstantly get the "compass needs calibrating". If I then power everything down and restart? No compass calibration message/no calibration required.
very interesting... your description of having the TBE after immediate takeoff is what i experienced when I did the hover test. I will be doing a hover test more often, if not everytime from this point forward... you could be on to something..

Wise decision Randall to aboard flight and return home.
Better save then sorry.
As you know by now, anything that discomforts or isn't looking good has to be a reason not to fly.
I always let her hover for @ least 10 sec before it can go.

I will say this, since updating to 3.06 hovering has been rock steady with ZERO drifting.

JWarren said:
I will say this, since updating to 3.06 hovering has been rock steady with ZERO drifting.
ya, my TBE was the first flight following the calibration error. I successfully calibrated it, but I think there was still an issue with it as I have not experienced the TBE in a while. I haven't had the chance to hook it up to the assistance software yet, but will later.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl