Another Flyaway here.. with video.

TeeJayN said:
Actually you can see the Vortex Ring circling effect fairly early on - at 1:45 stare at the buildings, ignore the yaw movements, and you can see the toilet bowl circling. In a Dji video this circling is blamed on the compass that needs calibrating. But all those that are experiencing this issue say they have successfully done the compass calibration, so what gives? After 30+ flights I've had zero issues but, as noted repeatedly, all seems well and then, without warning, it just happens. Will my next flight be The One? Until recently this adventure has been pure joy. The Plus, when everything is working correctly, is very stable, amazing to fly, and the videos are stunning. But with each new post like this, much of the joy had been replaced with fear and trepidation. This isn't so much fun any more.

you forgot to mention the CO$T of repair and parts replacement. including the heartache.

HienoKaveri said:
Ok dudes. Thought I would never join this crowd but yes it did happen to me too.

I've had the P2V+ for about a month now, with a dozen or so successful flight hours. Had the original P2V before this.

Did my normal ****, calibration and everything. This is what happened:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8Oeyp9_Bo[/youtube]

Enjoy.

With all of the boats in your video, any chance simply interference from the multiple radio frequencies surrounding you? Plus the high rise buildings pumping out god knows what wifi? I've had a Vision and currently a Vision+ but mainly fly in unpopulated areas, never had issues.

I've been flying these things since the first naza v1. And I'm a firm believer that a lot of this is some type of interference. Who knows what's going through the air these days ? But on the other hand why don't we hear about flyaways with other quads ? The Blade 350 qx for instance ? is something wrong with the DJI gps system ?
These flyaways are nothing new, this was happening with the first phantoms and naza. I don't get it , why haven't they resolved this yet ?
We seem to blame this on every new firemware update , or you didn't calibrate your compass etc.
Sure a lot of it is stupidity and new pilots.
I had a DJI F450 hovering at 10' , just sitting there , when all of the sudden it just goes crazy and flips over and trys to screw itself in the ground. It reminded me of when I was flying Rc planes and we would get radio interference and lose control.
The 450 wasn't damaged except for a prop and GPS mast. I checked it in assitant and flew it the next day with no problems at all. Actually it's been flying fine for 2 yrs.
What I'm getting at is , I think that day I had some type of interference. Who knows maybe it was the transmitter ? GPS ?

Now that was scary! Totally understand when panic sets in, all logic and everything you've read or been told goes straight out the window. Probably adding to the problem.
I just got my brand new P2V+ to replace the one that fell out of the sky 3wks ago. Had all sorts of issues with it out of the box, unable to calibrate etc. took the top off & the connector on GPS cable to the main board was as loose. It slid in & out with no effort. Have replaced it with the one off the crashed P2V+ but I haven't been brave enough to take to the air. I think I'll leave it in the box until these issues are addressed by DJI, far too many happening now to be coincidence or pilot error.

Way to get back on that horse! ;)

Well done.

HienoKaveri said:
I flew it just fine immediately after this, in the same area. Just power cycled, did a fresh compass calibration and made sure I got over 6 satellites. Had no issues rest of the day draining two batteries.
Congrats! That's gotta feel great!
But it would sure be nice if we could find the smoking gun here. Just to start somewhere, lets assume the compass somehow got messed up. You said your subsequent successful flights were in the same area. Was the launch in the exact same spot? Any possibility that the original spot had hidden metal underneath like lots of rebar in concrete? Or did you take off over a manhole cover? (this happened in another thread) Can you think of anything that was different that might upset the compass? I dunno, here's a possibility that we might not think of: Your cell phone was on vibrate, and it's in your pocket, you got a call, as your walking with your Phantom in hand ready to set it down for flight, your stride allows the compass to sweep in close proximity to your vibrating phone - the compass is now messed up. Yes I know this is far fetched - but something far fetched, or something not normally thought of, might be the simple cause.
Just a thought...and hoping for a Eureka moment.

HienoKaveri said:
As a matter of fact, the first launch, that resulted in the (almost)disaster, was from a large concrete slab. I dunno there was probably lots or iron rods and **** underneath. Think that could mess up the compass?

Other launches were from natural rock/cliffs or sandy ground.

TBH, if that is even considered as a last ditch excuse, then F*** all types of RC stuff.

HienoKaveri said:
TeeJayN said:
You said your subsequent successful flights were in the same area. Was the launch in the exact same spot? Any possibility that the original spot had hidden metal underneath like lots of rebar in concrete? Or did you take off over a manhole cover? (this happened in another thread) Can you think of anything that was different that might upset the compass?

As a matter of fact, the first launch, that resulted in the (almost)disaster, was from a large concrete slab. I dunno there was probably lots or iron rods and **** underneath. Think that could mess up the compass?

Other launches were from natural rock/cliffs or sandy ground.

Yes it is a well known fact that large amounts of ferrous metals near magnetic compasses will wreak havoc on them. The phantom has a magnetic compass. Has anyone tried hand-takeoff with one of these? Like fling it in the air, do a CSC and fly away from there? We can call it a power take-off. Since its hard to detect sarcasm in a message, that was sarcasm. Not directed at anyone though.

HienoKaveri said:
So I believe we can conclude the reason for this near-miss was actually the **** concrete floor underneath, and possible iron structures below ground. I did the compass calib. on the spot.

Pilot error then. Sorry for thinking it was a firmware issue.

Well I was lucky. Will be much more careful now...

you mean to say the rebar that is underneath every concrete sidewalk across america has potential to throw off the drone only in gps mode?

I call BS

EMCSQUAR said:
That IS some incredible video my friend.

I make no accusations, assumptions or excuses for DJI, but that looked like RF interference.

I thought the same, have to wonder if you were near a repeater.

You could call the locals, explain why you want to know, and ask for the general area of their repeater.

dragonash said:
HienoKaveri said:
you mean to say the rebar that is underneath every concrete sidewalk across america has potential to throw off the drone only in gps mode?

I call BS

There is not rebar underneath every sidewalk in america. Sometimes they will use a wire mesh underneath for strength if needed but most of the time not even that. And that probably wont cause you a problem with magnetism. And concrete pavers are very safe to launch from cause there is no metal used when laying them.

Concrete slabs and large width sidewalks and poured concrete walls are a different story. And could contain rebar in varying amounts. Which COULD wreak havoc on your compass.

Which is why I am becoming a proponent of the hand-fling launch where you fling the phantom into the air out of your hand while simultaneously CSCing and flying away. Risking no magnetic interference.

If this is a "classic flyaway" then we have two solid reasons why this happened, neither of which can be pointed to 100% as the problem but it is going to be one or the other.

1. Compass calibration near metal or electrical interference - although that shouldn't cause this behavior, it would typically result in not flying straight.

2. Didn't get home lock - even though you might have got 6 sats, it might not have recorded it's home position yet and was trying to fly there. Since ATTI disabled the GPS and the copter went stable, this certainly points to a GPS-related issue.

If I had to put money on one thing, it was launching too soon before it had a full home lock. Since you said you flew it again from the same place, this seems to rule out a bad compass calibration or local interference and again, points to an initial bad GPS lock.

Ruling: Pilot error - craft did not have good home lock
Recommendation: Wait for signal that there is home lock, and then wait to make sure you are not dropping any satellites.

HienoKaveri said:
Guys, ok I think I can settle this. The concrete slab that I took off from, was right next to some big weird *** bunker, that probably housed some kinda transformers and stuff.
<snip>

Wait a minute...transformers? So now we are blaming Optimus Prime? :D

jalpert said:
So, how do we test for magnetic interference?
We dont. We simply reduce the risk by calibrating in green field areas as DJI has said in youtube videos. How many people have watched every single p2, pv2 video on youtube. If you have not I really suggest you start. I had watched every single one of these a week before I received my first bird. Forget about pv2+ video, its the older ones you want to watch in the phantom 2 and phantom vision series.

HienoKaveri said:
Guys, ok I think I can settle this. The concrete slab that I took off from, was right next to some big weird *** bunker, that probably housed some kinda transformers and stuff.

I am thinking there were serious magnetic fields within 10 feet of where I calibrated. I should have known better.

I can go back and take a pic of the **** structure, but I'm telling ya it was some kind of electric hub.

I'd be interested in seeing the pic. I'm also pretty sure the cause for my similar near-flyaway situation was because I launched from a metal manhole cover.

RealDeal said:
HienoKaveri said:
<snip>

Wait a minute...transformers? So now we are blaming Optimus Prime? :D

That's why mine is in a locked box, don't want it coming alive on its on and attacking people.

HienoKaveri said:

I am thinking there were serious magnetic fields within 10 feet of where I calibrated. I should have known better.

I can go back and take a pic of the **** structure, but I'm telling ya it was some kind of electric hub.

When mine had a compass problem it was almost impossible to fly. In your video it didn't look like that at all, it looked like the receiver was getting hammered by some type of RF interference. I have no idea what happen with yours, but you did say you were able to fly later without issue. I wouldn't think a hub would cause intermittent interference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl