Amazon phantom 2 v2

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a non-vision Phantom 2 from Amazon and received V2.1 ESCs?

If so, what was the seller?

Just debating whether it would be best for people between ordering direct from DJI at this point with newer stock and dealing with their CS or Amazon with their older stock and better CS.

Why are you limiting yourself to just those 2 choices? What about B&H?

I'm not really limiting I guess. I can either do a direct exchange with Amazon or go for a refund and shop elsewhere. But I figured if I wasn't going with Amazon, the latest product would be directly from DJI as I don't know if B&H has the latest stock. I do like them as a company though.

Saw this on another forum and figured they were still selling both:

"Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. There has been quite a bit of confusion with the ESC v2.0 and the V2.1 editions. The Version 2.0 is compatible with the motors both 2212 and 2312 which are the old and new versions of the motors. The gauge of the wiring is thinner on the V2.0 which in some cases can cause problems with continuous flying. Meaning that when you have two or three batteries charged and are flying your Phantom for longer then 20 minutes you should allow the Phantom itself to cool down when you change the battery. If the unit is pushed to long the wires solder contacts will over heat leading to the problems like irregular flights or worse, crashes.
If you are using the V2.1 ESCs then the unit does not have this issue and will have thicker gauge wires so you can fly for as long as you have charged batteries.
I do always advise taking breaks and checking the Phantom to make sure all internal components are functioning and that there is not physical damage to the unit. It is also a great way to check your images to make sure your lighting and angles are they way you would like too.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Good morning! First post here, been lurking for a bit, but I finally dropped some cash on a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal! I ordered from Amazon, and it said it was v2....how do I see or figure out if it was this 2.1 you are speaking of? I'm just curious as you were originally.

MiggieZ said:
Good morning! First post here, been lurking for a bit, but I finally dropped some cash on a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal! I ordered from Amazon, and it said it was v2....how do I see or figure out if it was this 2.1 you are speaking of? I'm just curious as you were originally.

You can't know until it arrives, but when it does, if you pop open the shell and look at the white sticker on the ESC board, it will either be blank above the serial numbers, say v2.0, or v2.1.

If you're comfortable with it please post back.

Thanks,

Scorpio

Reoscorpio said:
"Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. There has been quite a bit of confusion with the ESC v2.0 and the V2.1 editions. The Version 2.0 is compatible with the motors both 2212 and 2312 which are the old and new versions of the motors. The gauge of the wiring is thinner on the V2.0 which in some cases can cause problems with continuous flying. Meaning that when you have two or three batteries charged and are flying your Phantom for longer then 20 minutes you should allow the Phantom itself to cool down when you change the battery. If the unit is pushed to long the wires solder contacts will over heat leading to the problems like irregular flights or worse, crashes.
If you are using the V2.1 ESCs then the unit does not have this issue and will have thicker gauge wires so you can fly for as long as you have charged batteries.

This is very odd. There is no difference that I can see between the signal/power cables which go from the ESC to the Main Board when comparing v2.0 and v2.1. They cannot be talking about the wires from the ESC to the motor because they are part of the motor!!

Sounds like B&H are repeating someone else and have got the wrong end of the stick.

Much more likely that the firmware has been changed so that the PWM duty cycle has been reduced at full throttle - but that is speculation.

Opened up my Phantom 2 purchased from Amazon to install the FPV components, the ESC say v2.1. I purchased a version 2.0 Phantom 2 off Amazaon (Prime).

MiggieZ said:
Opened up my Phantom 2 purchased from Amazon to install the FPV components, the ESC say v2.1. I purchased a version 2.0 Phantom 2 off Amazaon (Prime).

I got my replacement from Amazon today but have blank ESC's. Do you know which company the stock came from? Mine have been sold and fulfilled by amazon but have a Coptershop sticker.

The version of the quadcopter has nothing to do with the version of the ESC!

If you have opened up a Phantom 2 NV which you believe to be a V2 (new motors and transmitter etc) and the ESC has no version number written on the white label, but DOES have a marker pen line on top of the electrolytic capacitor - then it probably has been reflashed to ESC version 2.0.

I just don't know where to go from here. I've got this phantom from Amazon that works fine (gimbal, etc) but no version on the ESC. I'm just worried what that could mean down the road. They are definitely 2.0 ESC based on all of the other factors.

If I return yet another phantom, Amazon will begin to hate me and I will have to purchase elsewhere as it seems like all the ones they are sending me are unlabeled ESC stock from Coptershop.

The other half of me just says fly it. I've had a phantom since Christmas but have probably only logged 10 flights because of downtime with returns and repairs.

Reoscorpio said:
I just don't know where to go from here. I've got this phantom from Amazon that works fine (gimbal, etc) but no version on the ESC. I'm just worried what that could mean down the road. They are definitely 2.0 ESC based on all of the other factors.

If I return yet another phantom, Amazon will begin to hate me and I will have to purchase elsewhere as it seems like all the ones they are sending me are unlabeled ESC stock from Coptershop.

The other half of me just says fly it. I've had a phantom since Christmas but have probably only logged 10 flights because of downtime with returns and repairs.
Are your electrolytic capacitors marked with pen or not ??

I'll check again later but I think blue pen. Either way, that would make them 2.0 not 2.1.

Reoscorpio said:
I'll check again later but I think blue pen. Either way, that would make them 2.0 not 2.1.

Yes that is right. But if we dont know the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 why worry.
The real problem is whether or not they are pre-2.0 !

I fly with a mix of 2.0 and 2.1 in the same quad.

I thought people generally felt 2.1 were the way to go? My problem is that I don't want it to become an issue after day 30 or have to deal with DJI's customer service turnaround.

Amazon, being the company that they are, say to order a replacement and they will try to make sure it comes from a different fulfillment center. They are so accomodating I'm even feeling guilty considering it.

Well I received my second replacement from Amazon today. It was from CopterShop once again and was from the sar fulfillment center. Serial is 64543 and it has unmarked ESC. Looks like Amazon can't control stock.

So, the question now becomes: do I send it to DJI? They gave me an RMA before this unit arrived in case I wanted them to look at the ESCs and update if necessary.

What would you guys do?

If it has v2.0 ESCs, I'd just fly it.

Just figured if I send it off to LA before even flying it I won't miss it as much and then can rest easy. [emoji1]

Assuming they actually replace them.

As far as I know, they won't replace them until they prove to actually be faulty.

I've heard this as well but was told different by the woman from the call center. They also said to ship only the body this time which I thought strange. I have it all packed but am waiting to pull the trigger.

Reoscorpio said:
MiggieZ said:

You can't know until it arrives, but when it does, if you pop open the shell and look at the white sticker on the ESC board, it will either be blank above the serial numbers, say v2.0, or v2.1.

If you're comfortable with it please post back.

Thanks,

Scorpio

Strange. I have a Phantom 2, V2 non-vision. My ESCs have the white label with numbers but not what you say should be there. I have a string of numbers and a scannable code on it. Mine says: 0291845145

The last three digits are different for each ESC. Anyone know what they mean? I assume it is a serial number.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl