Amateur drone operators soon could face high-tech barriers

For obvious reasons, I will not go into details about the problems with drone flyovers, but they are a real concern. I will say that the airspace over nuclear facilities is restricted and small airplanes, including Cessnas, are not allowed to linger over any nuclear facility without permission and even large commercial jets have rules about flights near nuclear plants. We occasionally experience flyovers by military and police aircraft, and even local power company craft, but we always have advanced warnings with a description and even tail numbers. Any unusual or unexpected actions by manned aircraft would prompt a reaction by us and other authorities. I cannot, and will not, go any further in this discussion.

As far as payloads, I was not talking about Phantoms in particular. Larger, stronger uavs are being built every day, some of them more than capable of delivering sizable payloads.

I really didn't mean to start discussing security at nuke plants, I really just wanted to bring another view into the discussion of geofences and other means of keeping drones out of sensitive airspace.
So do you own a P4 , or you just trolling to inform others of the possible dangers drones can cause over power plants ?

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
So do you own a P4 , or you just trolling to inform others of the possible dangers drones can cause over power plants ?

I own a Phantom 3a which I love, but I enjoy all areas of this site.

I received my weekly email from phantompilots.com which alerts me to all the popular threads on the site (Not just the ones about the P3a) and this one interested me. I'm not "trolling" anything or anyone. I just thought I had a unique perspective on an interesting subject.

I didn't know i wasn't allowed to comment on threads other than those concerning the P3a. Sorry to ruffle your feathers if that's what I did.

Reactions: gmann21133
I own a Phantom 3a which I love, but I enjoy all areas of this site.

I received my weekly email from phantompilots.com which alerts me to all the popular threads on the site (Not just the ones about the P3a) and this one interested me. I'm not "trolling" anything or anyone. I just thought I had a unique perspective on an interesting subject.

I didn't know i wasn't allowed to comment on threads other than those concerning the P3a. Sorry to ruffle your feathers if that's what I did.
When did I sound upset about your post ? Just asked a question about your concern .
P.S. I wear steel toe shoes . and before you take that comment wrong too, it means you didnt step on my toes.

Last edited:
Sorry. Perhaps I misunderstood your question. The word "trolling" got me:

Trolling
informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

I wasn't trying to do any of the above. Glad you weren't upset. Again, I just thought I had a unique perspective.:)

Reactions: Fallguy
Only thing I know (as a former airborne ELINT/SIGINT operator) is that we're going to need bigger motors if we're going to start attaching ECM and ECCM and ECCCM pods to our Phantoms.
I agree, but they would be some cool quads, now wouldn't they.

Seems like the simplest solution is for DJI to include a special control command that overrides any other commands it receives, and then sell high powered transmitters that broadcast this command.
The command could be something as simple as "land now". A phantom that would get this command would ignore any other commands it received until it rebooted.
They could make a lot of money selling devices like this....

Then the FAA is going to require any drone manufacturer to include such overriding mechanism, and it is going to make owning and operating such device be something that requires a license.
And then hackers are going to figure out how to broadcast that same command and are going to sell unlocked transmitters to Joe and Sally.
And that will be the end of our hobby....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

120 feet isnt close enough apparently .Missed it completely .

Totally should have posted that with the highest resolution possible. Long shot, but someone in the forums may have recognized them, but the resolution of what you posted doesn't allow for making out any details.

I'd have flown a bit lower when they took off to get the license plate, too. ;-)

I flew over Apple Campus 2 a couple of weeks ago and I had no issues what so ever. In fact, security and construction Forman pass by me and said nothing. Duncan was launching from condo units near the campus, which leads me to believe it might have been condo security and not Apple security.

Totally should have posted that with the highest resolution possible. Long shot, but someone in the forums may have recognized them, but the resolution of what you posted doesn't allow for making out any details.

I'd have flown a bit lower when they took off to get the license plate, too. ;-)
Problem is , I thought these guys were just doing a drug deal and I was just scaring them off. Didnt notice until a couple weeks later when I tried to zoom in and slow down the video . Here is the original video I posted with sound effects .

Then the FAA is going to require any drone manufacturer to include such overriding mechanism, and it is going to make owning and operating such device be something that requires a license.
And then hackers are going to figure out how to broadcast that same command and are going to sell unlocked transmitters to Joe and Sally.
And that will be the end of our hobby....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Settle down, fella. The sky is not falling.

For obvious reasons, I will not go into details about the problems with drone flyovers, but they are a real concern. I will say that the airspace over nuclear facilities is restricted and small airplanes, including Cessnas, are not allowed to linger over any nuclear facility without permission and even large commercial jets have rules about flights near nuclear plants. We occasionally experience flyovers by military and police aircraft, and even local power company craft, but we always have advanced warnings with a description and even tail numbers. Any unusual or unexpected actions by manned aircraft would prompt a reaction by us and other authorities. I cannot, and will not, go any further in this discussion.

As far as payloads, I was not talking about Phantoms in particular. Larger, stronger uavs are being built every day, some of them more than capable of delivering sizable payloads.

I really didn't mean to start discussing security at nuke plants, I really just wanted to bring another view into the discussion of geofences and other means of keeping drones out of sensitive airspace.

LoL Phew!! Here I was thinking this Guy Sounds as though he is Chomping at the bit to Kill some Random and shoot down some kids RC Aircraft!!

Could just be me, But Why on Earth would you speak of Having the Authority to Murder an Unauthorised Person at your work place on a Drone Forum Only to start saying I can not and Will not speak more about it!!??

Like your President <x> says, If you don't have anything to hide then why should it be problem for people to see what you're doing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody's gonna lose a quad over this and a good lawyer and them are going to get hog-nasty rich.

The FCC has approved the use of the Phantom in the US for the frequencies authorized. Likewise the FAA's authority is the entire airspace. So, designing and deploying systems that disrupt authorized frequencies or access to airspace violates numerous federal laws. The FCC can be just as aggressive as the FAA in enforcement and issues enforcement letters regularly with stiff fines. The FCC also has investigators to search out and locate illicit emitters of all types from GPS and cellphone jammers to amateur radio. So, get ready a major legal battle is coming that will go against volumes of federal law.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl