Aluminum/Copper Shielding on P3P's to Increase Sat Numbers

Reaction score
Has anyone added Aluminum or Copper Shielding to the underside of their Phantom 3's cover to increase the number of satellites they get?

A year ago, I added the shielding to my Phantom 2 and got a definite increase in satellites. Originally, I got only 6 sat's and after I added the custom copper sheet I bought off Ebay, got anywhere from 8 to 12 sat's. One hell of an improvement and in my P2's operation. Had crashed two times before the Copper Sheet installation and feel that this addition helped in the overall P2's performance. Of course, IMU calibration and upgrades also helped because originally, the Phantom 2's being delivered in Dec of 2014 and Jan 2015 were crashing left and right, right out of the factory. There was a hell of a steep learning curve back then for the P2's.

I have a P3P and a P3S besides my P2 FPV, an they get 10 to 12 satellites right out of the box, the P3P actually gets more than the P3S. With this number of satellites being received, there is really no need for additional satellites, but then again, what the hell, THE MORE THE MERRIER.

So hence, my question about anyone adding aluminum or copper sheeting under their P3's cover. Just curious to see if anyone has done it and if so, what were the results? Good/Bad, No Change?
Really appreciate anyone's response on this, pro, con, whatever.

I think it's overkill personally. The advance and pro already use glonass so that adds to your available satellites too. You should try and see if it helps at all and report back though

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I think it's overkill personally. The advance and pro already use glonass so that adds to your available satellites too. You should try and see if it helps at all and report back though

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The reason I posted is because I did not want to have to buy another copper Shielding, take my Phantom apart and install it. Was really hoping that someone else had already done this type of upgrade. Believe me, this type of upgrade was common practice for all the Phantom 2's regardless of Version back in latter part of 2014 and first half of 2015. You may be right, it might just be OVERKILL when it comes to Satellites, which all Phantoms and Drones with GPS need for reliable positioning. But it would seem to me that at distance, more satellites would be beneficial for overall Phantom operation and performance.

I agree that the op should give it a try and report back while contributing to the overall knowledge. Will be following and awaiting your finding.

Where would I install the copper shielding. I am assuming in the belly of the plastic????? I fabricate emi and rfi shielding materials along with thermal management materials. If you think it will increase satellite reception then I will try it and report back...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can't think of a good practical reason other than to gain knowledge on if the more shielding would help gain more sat or other impacts.

Let's say it does, going from 15 Sat to 20 Sat still won't make much of a practical difference.

Where would I install the copper shielding. I am assuming in the belly of the plastic????? I fabricate emi and rfi shielding materials along with thermal management materials. If you think it will increase satellite reception then I will try it and report back...

In the Phantom 2 days, DJI was only using GPS system. Couple that with poor RF shielding, the GPS signal was abysmal. The collected wisdom of the community has determined that by:

1. Tucking existing GPS wires UNDER the existing shielding
2. Add another layer of EM shielding

help remedy the situation. After the 2 steps above, most people see Sat lock count increase and stabilise (even during flight).

In P3A and P3P, DJI is using GNOLASS in addition to GPS. I routinely get 10+ Sat lock and close to 20 once in the air. So this hasn't been much of issue. And that's why there is a lack of discussion on this topic for P3A and P3P. I believe P3S is just a slightly revised P2V+. It would be interesting to see if P3S continually to need to enhancement.

Here are some old videos on how to add the additional shielding for the P2V+ units:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: socalhusker
I have the P3P, so if I am reading you correctly; I don't need to add shielding?

You shouldn't need it if your P3 is working as designed. I get no less than 19 satellites locked every time.

I have the P3P, so if I am reading you correctly; I don't need to add shielding?
With this number of satellites being received, there is really no need for additional satellites, but then again, what the hell, THE MORE THE MERRIER ....
So hence, my question about anyone adding aluminum or copper sheeting under their P3's cover. Just curious to see if anyone has done it and if so, what were the results? Good/Bad, No Change?
Really appreciate anyone's response on this, pro, con, whatever.
The P3 has proper shielding already fitted.
Adding more shielding will not give you any improvement.

Reactions: socalhusker
The P3 has proper shielding already fitted.
Adding more shielding will not give you any improvement.

Thanks for the info on this subject. Believe me, I was not wanting to open the shell on my P3's unless I had a really good reason and a valid reason. But if the copper or aluminum sheeting will do no good, then you have saved me some time, effort and money, and for that, I Thank You.

The P3 already has copper shielding installed. No need.

You would install the sheilding on the top part of the Phantom, meaning the Cap, the part you take off. You glue down the aluminum or copper sheeting to cover the surface of the Cap. Research old video's on YouTube on how and where to install them. I believe that the P3P does not need this, but the P3Standard might be another story. If you finally get one made for a P3Standard, holler at me and I will give it a test for you.

I agree that the op should give it a try and report back while contributing to the overall knowledge. Will be following and awaiting your finding.

Don't do it. I had the same train of thought as I owned the first generation of Vision Plus series.
DJI has gotten it right this time. I didn't tuck the cable under as it is more difficult to relocate the cable in the P3.
I've had mine installed since Dec 18th and about to remove it.
According to healthy drones, majority of flights before the foil mod averaged 15+ sats.
And with the foil mod, sat counts averaged 10-15 on healthy drones.

P3%20Foil%20Mod%20resized.jpg

Why not just add a small sat antenna? Your sat radio on a car has them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452641736.707612.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452641751.378838.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452641760.081083.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452641769.890016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you plug that in? The P3a/P gps module has a soldered antenna puck. Also, do they accept both gps and glonas frequencies?

I'm not sure, but a better satellite antenna wouldn't hurt. Look at all the high $$ and custom drones.
How to Make a Drone / UAV - Lesson 4: Flight Controller - RobotShop Blog

Global Positioning Systems (GPS) use the signals sent by a number of satellites in orbit around the earth in order to determine their specific geographic location. A flight controller can either have onboard GPS or one which is connected to it via a cable. The GPS antenna should not be confused with the GPS chip itself, and can look like a small black box or a normal “duck” antenna. In order to get an accurate GPS lock, the GPS chip should receive data from multiple satellites, and the more the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan