Allegiant Air

Reaction score
Flying allegiant air from cvg to. I called and was told the FAA doesn't allow drones on flights. Everywhere I've read says otherwise. So few questions. Has anyone flew allegiant from cvg or Miami. Will my hard shell drone backpack case be enough protection if I have to check it? I've searched and found nothing saying the FAA doesn't allow drones on flights. I'm thinking the allegiant rep wasn't sure of what she was talking about.. any info helps y'all thanks

I just read through Allegiant's FAQS and see no mention of drones. There are however notes on lithium ion batteries, which mirror what I've seen elsewhere; carry on only and 100 watt hours max. Your batteries around 84 watt hours or so. Carry on restrictions also appear similar to Southwest (my airline of choice) - 9x14x22 inches.

Suggest digging around their website. Try calling again and getting a smarter agent?

That's what I was thinking. I searched their site and FAA. FAA simply says refer to the airline site. Which now makes two of us that didn't mention drones directly. Thanks for confirming what I thought I didn't see lol. Not sure of the dimensions of my case as I haven't measured yet. I'll have to check that out tomorrow

People fly with drones everyday. There is absolutely no faa regulation banning drones on planes.

People fly with drones everyday. There is absolutely no faa regulation banning drones on planes.
Yea I've searched high and low for what she told me and found nothing. I took the guy above advice and called again today. This time requesting a manager. I was able to get it confirmed with FAA and Allegiant air that there are no issues with bringing the drone in board. Other than it must meet carry on size requirements. I was also told as people have mentioned in previous posts that they may swab the batteries and drone at security but other than that everything would be fine..

You have to get some kind of clarification though, I;ve had phone - verbal A-Okay, but got to airport & had an agent say- No way sir, you can't fly with those batteries!

You have to get some kind of clarification though, I;ve had phone - verbal A-Okay, but got to airport & had an agent say- No way sir, you can't fly with those batteries!
Really? So you think maybe asking for something in writing be smart? What did you end up doing

A pilot kicked a guy off a plane because he had a drone not to long ago. Some people just get really weirded out by drones. It wasnt policy, the pilot just did it on his own and that is his right but i think most airlines have educated their flight crews about quads on a plane and battery's allowed. The only potential problem is obviously the battery but as far as i know all dji batteries comply with faa guidelines for battery size allowed on a plane, every battery that goes in a quad you can carry on for sure.

I'm buying the fireproof cases just for added security. If they check that'll hopefully atleast show them I've taken all precautions.

Not a bad idea. I dont see why they dont have a box or something on board that they can vacate the oxygen from and replace with nitrogen or something similar to put lithium batteries in during flight. No oxygen, no fire. Problem solved.

Quick update. Made it through security with the drone as carry on. Three batteries in fire proof cases and no issues. Not even questioned once.

I just got off the phone with Allegiant air and they said drones are banned in both cabin and cargo hold regardless of size battery size etc. She couldnt give specifics as to why! Frustrating!!

I feel your pain. Airlines are a finicky beast. Depending on the ticket/gate agent you may or may not fly according to "their" rules. I used to work for Delta and had an experience one time traveling on company business that the ticket counter representative told me I had to pay an overweight charge for my toolbox. I was told it didn't matter if I was on company business or not. After haggling with the agent for a little while she finally called for a supervisor. The supervisor set her straight and I was able to travel without paying the charge. It all depends on who you talk to. Some of these agents do not know the rules or don't care about the rules.

Reactions: chrismartin3391
I just got off the phone with Allegiant air and they said drones are banned in both cabin and cargo hold regardless of size battery size etc. She couldnt give specifics as to why! Frustrating!!
Call back. Ask for a manager. I just flew allegiant with 0 issues

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl