All-in-One firmware Version: v1.6.80 Bricked my Bird

What device are you updating from? Phone, tablet? ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
SUCCESS !!! Multicoptertec, I was updating from iPad2 mini. Somehow, after going thru all the suggestions over the last 2 days, and reading countless posts on the forum I must have done something right. Since the Standard only updates thru the Go app, I deleted and reinstalled it at least a dozen times. This last install acted differently, and up popped a firmware update ( 1.6.80). So I downloaded and installed it. It hung up on 45% for a while causing me to sweat a bit, but then it resumed and then completed successfully. So tomorrow I'll see if this new bird will fly. Everything looks normal, so wish me luck.

I would like to thank all those who took time to answer questions and offer solutions to me during this time. My patience was wearing a bit thin, but with your help all is good. Thanks again guys! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Awesome! Reason I asked about the device, is that the update .bin file that is downloaded, can sometimes be copied from phone folder to SD card, then stuffed in the bird to do the update. Good job on being persistent, I'd have stayed up all night fighting, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I just replaced the main board on my sons bird. (standard). The firmware is at 1.2 and is saying there is an upgrade to 1.5, guess what? It is staying at 1.2 Too much crap going on with any update. I refuse to update my own P3S. It will stay where its at until they (DJI) get the update **** straight.

Mike

This is how you force an update from the SD card.
Do this at your own risk!!!
okay now that's out of the way.

Format your SD card (FAT or exFAT)
Place the bin file you couldn't update to on the SD card
Press and hold the link button
Turn on the drone
When you hear the gimbal beeping (the gimbal not the drone) release the link button
Let the drone work, by the end of it the drone you should be updated.

This procedure forces the system to reinstall all the modules. there maybe multiple sounds coming from your drone because some of the modules might be corrupt but let it work through them. unfortunately if you hear the long beep of death it means it failed and you should restart the procedure. Try downloading a fresh copy of the FW, the previous one might have been corrupted.

I hope this will help people sort out their drones, a lot of connection issues and range issues stem from having FW that is not installed completely.

I just replaced the main board on my sons bird. (standard). The firmware is at 1.2 and is saying there is an upgrade to 1.5, guess what? It is staying at 1.2 Too much crap going on with any update. I refuse to update my own P3S. It will stay where its at until they (DJI) get the update **** straight.

Mike
I agree with you Mike. After all the crap I just went through I'm not updating unless the posts from fellow pilots ALL read positive results from the update. Honestly I believe it will snow in hell before that happens.

Took the plunge and installed the update. Ran into a minor snag, but which I eventually recovered from. The idea is NOT to panic.

Here's what happened (skipping through the uneventful stuff). After downloading the update, I connected to the aircraft and initiated the upgrade. Waited a few minutes and then it shows 100% Update Successful. Pressing Finish, it instructed me to restart the aircraft. But then, when I dismissed that pop-up, I heard the controller restart (it made 3 beeps as if it was just turned on) and "Upgrading 20%" on the screen. So I didn't touch the aircraft despite the instruction to restart it and just waited for a few more minutes. The percentage didn't budge beyond 20% and to my dismay, Update Failed appeared.

So I turned off both the aircraft and controller, waited a few seconds, then powered them on. The gimbal went limp (the camera was just dangling there). I restarted the update and this time, it eventually returned with the good news... Update Successful.

Restarted everything again, checked the IMU and compass, then took the bird out for a test flight. The aircraft appears to be behaving normally.

The thing with this all-in-one update is that, it's a single file that simultaneously (or sequentially) updates the controller, aircraft/gimbal, and battery.... not really sure if there's a sequence. Here's what I've observed, if you power-cycle the controller, the aircraft loses WiFi connection to the tablet and it will take several seconds to reacquire. In my case, I am guessing that the controller finished first then it rebooted by itself, cutting the connection to the aircraft, interrupting the aircraft update and got stuck at 20%. The good thing though, it wasn't left in a bad enough state and it still allowed me to retry and finish the operation.

In retrospect, DJI should really work on adding more fail-safes to the update process. I think they made it too easy to mess it up... even if you follow the instructions to the letter.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yep, I agree with you OrlyP. One little glitch in the update process and it fails. May be from the so-called all in one update that DJI came up with. Glad to hear you got it sorted out successfully. I believe I'll pass on the next update or two until they get it right.

Took the plunge and installed the update. Ran into a minor snag, but which I eventually recovered from. The idea is NOT to panic.

Here's what happened (skipping through the uneventful stuff). After downloading the update, I connected to the aircraft and initiated the upgrade. Waited a few minutes and then it shows 100% Update Successful. Pressing Finish, it instructed me to restart the aircraft. But then, when I dismissed that pop-up, I heard the controller restart (it made 3 beeps as if it was just turned on) and "Upgrading 20%" on the screen. So I didn't touch the aircraft despite the instruction to restart it and just waited for a few more minutes. The percentage didn't budge beyond 20% and to my dismay, Update Failed appeared.

So I turned off both the aircraft and controller, waited a few seconds, then powered them on. The gimbal went limp (the camera was just dangling there). I restarted the update and this time, it eventually returned with the good news... Update Successful.

Restarted everything again, checked the IMU and compass, then took the bird out for a test flight. The aircraft appears to be behaving normally.

The thing with this all-in-one update is that, it's a single file that simultaneously (or sequentially) updates the controller, aircraft/gimbal, and battery.... not really sure if there's a sequence. Here's what I've observed, if you power-cycle the controller, the aircraft loses WiFi connection to the tablet and it will take several seconds to reacquire. In my case, I am guessing that the controller finished first then it rebooted by itself, cutting the connection to the aircraft, interrupting the aircraft update and got stuck at 20%. The good thing though, it wasn't left in a bad enough state and it still allowed me to retry and finish the operation.

In retrospect, DJI should really work on adding more fail-safes to the update process. I think they made it too easy to mess it up... even if you follow the instructions to the letter.
When get 100% you should restart both (bird and controller) as instructed at the screen.

When get 100% you should restart both (bird and controller) as instructed at the screen.
It's very hard to make a judgment call when you're getting conflicting instructions. It says restart the aircraft, then immediately on the next screen, it says Upgrading 20%. DJI has been at least clear on one thing... to paraphrase, "Don't turn off the aircraft in the middle of an upgrade". So I decided to err on the side of caution and kept the bird powered up and waited for a more defined next step.

If it instead said, "Press Continue after re-connecting with the aircraft", then it would've been much clearer.

FWIW, this is my first firmware-related hiccup. I've upgraded the firmware at least twice before and it was a one-shot deal... I didn't have to power-cycle the aircraft more than once.

Last edited:
My problems were resolved by patience. Just start the upgrade with all batteries full. I even got the loud steady "beep" and let it beep away - I put it in a room at other end of house and shut the doors. This might not solve everyone's problem, but at least give it a try for your initial try.

I concur with paul, i got a failed message and when i tried again it got stuck at 48%, i gave up and shut everything down after 5 minutes at 48%. Then i got the annoying beep, i put it outside and a neighbor thought it was our smoke detector. I put it in the bed of my truck with tailgate closed and tonneau cover on. It stayed at 48% for what felt like 10 minutes, but finally finished and all was ok

This is how you force an update from the SD card.
Do this at your own risk!!!
okay now that's out of the way.

Format your SD card (FAT or exFAT)
Place the bin file you couldn't update to on the SD card
Press and hold the link button
Turn on the drone
When you hear the gimbal beeping (the gimbal not the drone) release the link button
Let the drone work, by the end of it the drone you should be updated.

This procedure forces the system to reinstall all the modules. there maybe multiple sounds coming from your drone because some of the modules might be corrupt but let it work through them. unfortunately if you hear the long beep of death it means it failed and you should restart the procedure. Try downloading a fresh copy of the FW, the previous one might have been corrupted.

I hope this will help people sort out their drones, a lot of connection issues and range issues stem from having FW that is not installed completely.

Hi, i try on my bird but hear the long beep of death all the time.. Used 1.5 and 1.6 fw but no luck :( Any ideas ?

Has the same issue with one of my P3 Standards. Failed at 60% & when I rebooted the ESCs were just steady beeping non-stop. Is your controller still connecting to the RC? (green light on RC & bird's link indicator) If you are still connected you can attempt the update again. You may have to try several times before it successfully completes. Mine took about 4-5 tries but it finally finished installing successfully & the bird is flying fine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it will get to one point where it will seems like it freezes. I can't remember the percentage. The three dots after the % stop blinking & you think it is frozen. Just be patient & after 5-10 minutes the dots will start blinking again & the update will proceed.

Ok, tried to update firmware on my P3S and firmware failed. It downloaded fine but during installation it got stuck at 50% then it indicated it failed. Tried to install again but when i powered up the bird I get a loud steady Beep and no way to install. Called dji and they are asking me to send it in. Thought before I send it in I might try the group and see if anyone has a solution. Graduation cap firmware downgrade shows nothing available. The "about" screen in the app says "version not available". The gimble shows steady green light. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl