Alcatraz flights....

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if Alcatraz is a restricted area for drones?
Since it isn't a federal facility anymore, I thought that perhaps flying your drone there might be OK.

Anyone with information on the status of Alcatraz for drones?

Thanks......

Hi,

Just wondering if Alcatraz is a restricted area for drones?
Since it isn't a federal facility anymore, I thought that perhaps flying your drone there might be OK.

Anyone with information on the status of Alcatraz for drones?

Thanks......
Seeing as the island falls under the National Park Service, I doubt you can fly there. Currently, the National Park Service (NPS) prohibits drones at national parks which include the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in San Mateo, San Francisco and Marin counties; Rosie the Riveter grounds in East Bay, Fort Point, Presidio, Alcatraz Island and the Maritime in San Francisco as well as Point Reyes and Muir Woods in North Bay. See all national park trails and parks where drone use is currently prohibited. National Park Service rangers may issue citations of $125 and additional fees to drone users who violate its policies.

There is a difference from launching from a National Park and overflying one. The Park Service can not prohibit overflight, that is the FAA’s domain. The Park Service can prohibit you launching from their land. So launch from somewhere else and over fly Alcatraz should be perfectly fine.

There is a difference from launching from a National Park and overflying one. The Park Service can not prohibit overflight, that is the FAA’s domain. The Park Service can prohibit you launching from their land. So launch from somewhere else and over fly Alcatraz should be perfectly fine.

It’s about 1.5 miles from the island to the mainland, so you’d probably be flying out of your line of sight to do so. But there are videos on YouTube of it being done.

You would also be flying under the class B airspace of SF and the class C airspace of Oakland. I’d research that flight a bit more.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Thanks for the replies, everyone....

It looks like the only really safe way to do any overflights over Alcatraz would be to launch your drone off a boat near the island. That way, you would have line-of-sight and lots of battery life for a good flight.

Attempting a flight from the mainland- and the mile and a half trip over to the island- would be risky.
And unforgiving.

Thanks for the replies, everyone....

It looks like the only really safe way to do any overflights over Alcatraz would be to launch your drone off a boat near the island. That way, you would have line-of-sight and lots of battery life for a good flight.

Attempting a flight from the mainland- and the mile and a half trip over to the island- would be risky.
And unforgiving.

Just remember that the boat HAS to be located outside the boundaries of the national park.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3