Advanced versus 4K

Reaction score
OK, I purchased the 4K and love it. But I see comments online that the Advanced is better so I'm wondering if maybe I should switch to the Advanced. As I look at the comparison on the DJI site they look virtually identical except the 4K has the better camera and the Advanced has the Lightbridge with greater range. However, what I am confused about is that the comparison chart says 3.1 mile range on the Advanced but on the Advanced box it says "Digital HD Real-Time view up to 1.25 miles.

So I need some advice from some more experienced pilots:

Since I will be flying mostly over water, unobstructed and since I'm only comfortable flying within line of sight of the drone so I can see what it's doing, are there any REAL advantages by switching to the Advanced model?

The both have the same range. The _main_ difference is the camera but there are other, less important differences. There have been many threads on this already and you may want to use the search function to find all the details.

are there any REAL advantages by switching to the Advanced model?
The most notable advantage is the range. The P3A's range is more than 3 times the 4K's range. It really depends on how far you plan to fly though. If you have no desire to fly more than a mile away, then the 4K should be a good fit for you.

Keep in mind that you will also encounter interference in some locations -- which will cut down on the range. So, the P3A would come in handy in those scenarios.

OK, I purchased the 4K and love it. But I see comments online that the Advanced is better so I'm wondering if maybe I should switch to the Advanced. As I look at the comparison on the DJI site they look virtually identical except the 4K has the better camera and the Advanced has the Lightbridge with greater range. However, what I am confused about is that the comparison chart says 3.1 mile range on the Advanced but on the Advanced box it says "Digital HD Real-Time view up to 1.25 miles.
The both have the same range.
Someone's confusing the Pro with the P3-4K
The ranges are quite different since the P3-4K uses wifi while the Advanced uses Lightbridge.
Published specs are:
Advanced
Max Transmission Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when CE compliant​

P3-4K
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1200m
CE: 500m (unobstructed, free of interference, 120m above takeoff point)​
However, what I am confused about is that the comparison chart says 3.1 mile range on the Advanced but on the Advanced box it says "Digital HD Real-Time view up to 1.25 miles.
The 1.25 miles sounds like the old text from before they updated the specs to better reflect actual range being achieved.
The other significant difference is that the P3-4K has 480p liveview while all other P3s get 720p vision.

Someone's confusing the Pro with the P3-4K
The ranges are quite different since the P3-4K uses wifi while the Advanced uses Lightbridge.

Yes. When in he Pro/Adv section I always think "4K" is Pro. I forget that DJI _sucks_ at naming drones and calls the Phantom _Standard_, the Phantom 4K.

Yes. When in he Pro/Adv section I always think "4K" is Pro. I forget that DJI _sucks_ at naming drones and calls the Phantom _Standard_, the Phantom 4K.
The Standard is not 4K. There is the Standard, the Advanced 4K, Advanced with Lightbridge (not 4K, but can be changed), and the Pro, which has 4K and lightbridge. Note that the 4K cameras for the A4K and Pro are different.

The Standard is not 4K. There is the Standard, the Advanced 4K, Advanced with Lightbridge (not 4K, but can be changed), and the Pro, which has 4K and lightbridge. Note that the 4K cameras for the A4K and Pro are different.

The "Phantom 3 4K" is the Phantom 3 Standard... with a 4K camera. It just is. If DJI would name it for what it is, this would all be less confusing.

But yes, the OP did say Phantom 4K which is correct so I was wrong.

Reactions: Reed L
The "Phantom 3 4K" is the Phantom 3 Standard... with a 4K camera.
There are some other notable differences. The Phantom 3 4K has a better remote controller and VPS.

The "Phantom 3 4K" is the Phantom 3 Standard... with a 4K camera. It just is. If DJI would name it for what it is, this would all be less confusing.

Sorry to nitpick, but there are many more differences. Look at the remotes for instance. The 4K has a vision system. The list goes on.

There's no Advanced 4K because the P3A has lightbridge. The P3-4K is basically a P3Standard with a better 4K camera, etc. dollars to donuts basically but the P3A and P3P are a cut above the Standard and 4K and well worth the extra to most people.

There's no Advanced 4K because the P3A has lightbridge. The P3-4K is basically a P3Standard with a better 4K camera, etc. dollars to donuts basically but the P3A and P3P are a cut above the Standard and 4K and well worth the extra to most people.
Correct, my error, DJI calls the 4K drones the "4K Series". But again, there are many more differences between the 4K and the Standard besides the camera.

Reactions: Reed L
I think many people has bought a P3-4K thinking they are buying a bargain P3-Pro. So DJI naming may be confusing purposely.

Last edited:
Reactions: meissner58
The 4K is identical to the standard except for the camera. The Advanced has lightbridge which allows it to go much further.

As has been mentioned, the Advanced has 5x the range of the 4K (5000m vs 1000m). Lightbridge is a whole different world than Wi-Fi when it comes to range. You say you only fly VLOS so perhaps you will be content with the half a mile or so you get from the 4K? This is a decision for you to make.

So I need some advice from some more experienced pilots:

Since I will be flying mostly over water, unobstructed and since I'm only comfortable flying within line of sight of the drone so I can see what it's doing, are there any REAL advantages by switching to the Advanced model?

Not quite. It includes VPS & a much nicer controller than the Standard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl