About to pull the trigger

Reaction score
Hey guys, originally I had a Phantom V1.1.1 and it was fine until both of the motors suddenly broke for no reason. Was on hold for 2 hrs with "customer service" and they charged me $200 to fix it. I decided to sell it and now I'm thinking of getting the V2+ but I read so many bad stories on Amazon regarding the flyaways and of course the customer service issue, I've experienced that already.

My question: Is it worth it? I loved my phantom 1 when it was working. I was hoping the V2+ got all the kinks out but I'm not sure. I also live in Hawaii so the MAGNETIC DECLINATION is 11 here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

surfer808 said:
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend any Phantom at this point without at least an update from DJI for the compass issue. On another equally important note, you can't even by P2V+ parts and haven't been able to for months. They simply don't care about after-sales support in any way shape or form. If you can afford it, and are already a fairly experience Phantom pilot, I'd even go so far as to say screw DJI and get a Walkera Tali H500, but then that's just me :roll:

If you must have DJI and can wait another month or three, I'm guessing with DJI's track record of shoving new products out on the backs of existing customer support, they'll probably have a the new "cool" thing announced by the Fall and ready to suck down that Visa number by Christmas.

You have to understand that everyone that has had any kind of problem, reports it here. But the thousands of folks that are problem free rarely say anything. I am one of those. Bought from B&H, Completely free of any problems except those I caused myself. [the last one was I fumble fingered it, literally dropping the transmitter on the ground, breaking the handle off of S1. But readily repairable with a trip to Fry's Electronics <sigh>]. But I have been extremely impressed with the craft and the quality of the software on board. I would say go for it, assuming you can afford it.

I'm interested in the Tali also, but a just a little bit new for me.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

varmint said:
On another equally important note, you can't even by P2V+ parts and haven't been able to for months.
What parts are you looking for? I have had no trouble finding parts. ESC, main board GPS receivers, motors, props. I've been surprised by the wide availability of P2V+ parts. Not all dealers have everything, but across the spectrum, I consider parts availability, at lease in .US, to be pretty amazing.

varmint said:
Honestly, I couldn't recommend any Phantom at this point without at least an update from DJI for the compass issue. On another equally important note, you can't even by P2V+ parts and haven't been able to for months. They simply don't care about after-sales support in any way shape or form. If you can afford it, and are already a fairly experience Phantom pilot, I'd even go so far as to say screw DJI and get a Walkera Tali H500, but then that's just me :roll:

I know you have an H500 on order, and it is super cool looking and the specs look great, but I'm not sure you are offering him the best advice in recommending him to buy one at this point. We know very little about the H500's real-world performance. Few are in the field, and there are only a handful of reviews. How is the H500 for range, durability, or mods? We don't know how Walkera will be for tech support, or on H500 replacement parts. (only hard part to get for the Vision+ is the camera) Finally, the H500 is considerably more expensive ($1900 vs $1300). Maybe recommend holding off buying anything until hard data is available for the H500?

I know you have an H500 on order, and it is super cool looking and the specs look great, but I'm not sure you are offering him the best advice in recommending him to buy one at this point. We know very little about the H500's real-world performance. Few are in the field, and there are only a handful of reviews. How is the H500 for range, durability, or mods? We don't know how Walkera will be for tech support, or on H500 replacement parts. (only hard part to get for the Vision+ is the camera) Finally, the H500 is considerably more expensive ($1900 vs $1300). Maybe recommend holding off buying anything until hard data is available for the H500?[/quote]

Thanks, I was looking for the price on the H500 but I don't want to spend $2k. My biggest concern with the new Vision Plus is that I don't want a flyaway. Are they working on a compass calibration issue? Is there anything I can do to prevent this other than the obvious (fully charged batteries, calibrate, making sure the green light is flashing, etc..) ?

Thanks again

Dirty Bird said:
(only hard part to get for the Vision+ is the camera) Finally, the H500 is considerably more expensive ($1900 vs $1300).
Actually the camera is available. But since it only comes with the gimbal, its price kinda takes your breath away. I consider the H500 and V2P+ to be in the same price class, considering you must add a $500+ smartphone to fly the V2P+. My fear for H500 is, it is too cheap. I would have expected it to come in around 2200, but you are right. It is too early to tell. [but man is it cool looking!]

Dirty Bird said:
I know you have an H500 on order, and it is super cool looking and the specs look great, but I'm not sure you are offering him the best advice in recommending him to buy one at this point. We know very little about the H500's real-world performance. Few are in the field, and there are only a handful of reviews. How is the H500 for range, durability, or mods? We don't know how Walkera will be for tech support, or on H500 replacement parts. (only hard part to get for the Vision+ is the camera) Finally, the H500 is considerably more expensive ($1900 vs $1300). Maybe recommend holding off buying anything until hard data is available for the H500?

I get what you're saying, but he did say he owned a Phantom already. I wouldn't suggest a new pilot go near anywhere near a unit without a full-time GPS mode, but at the same time I really don't see how shopping around can hurt either, especially considering how bad DJI has been about support. If you're going to crash (for whatever reason), you need to be able to get parts, and that's just not happening with DJI right now.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge since the H500 isn't within his budget, but again, I don't think it's detrimental to shop around. If not Walkera, then 3DR or any on of maybe 10 other UAS manufactures that don't start with a D and end with an I.

Go to B&H if you are going to buy. Look at their feedback, its 5 star on the Phantom and 5 star on the service. I purchased both of mine from them.

Pull the trigger you will never look back. They are great machines but be prepared for what comes with this hobby a bit of uncertainty and a lot financial investment. At some point you have to cut out all the chatter and make the move then decide for yourself and let us all know how it worked out for you.

Personally I have a...

Phantom V1.1.1.1 equipped with FPV and 9" Props (sacrificial drone in untested areas)

Phantom2 Vision+ (She goes in when all is clear)

550 FlameWheel (Long missions)

Parts and service no problem I had three email exchanges with DJI and they made good on two MAJOR broken pieces. (you have to understand the culture and not insult them I work overseas extensively and this comes quite naturally, when you do this they will work with you)

Having a ball with all of them...just saying...

T.

PS buy the Vision+ app as well it DOES work.

surfer808 said:
Thanks, I was looking for the price on the H500 but I don't want to spend $2k. My biggest concern with the new Vision Plus is that I don't want a flyaway. Are they working on a compass calibration issue? Is there anything I can do to prevent this other than the obvious (fully charged batteries, calibrate, making sure the green light is flashing, etc..) ?

I have had my Vision+ since mid-April. I have 75 perfect flights. Never had problems with flyaways, loss of control, compass calibration, RTH, video. I've never even experienced a tip over. I flew her early this morning before I left for work to capture a view of the new house they are building from above. 25 mph gusting winds and again she flew perfectly. I landed her in the 25 mph gusting winds! I love my Vision+.

I'd recommend thinking about fly aways like a real pilot thinks about a crash. Yes, there is risk, but there is always risk with flying, whether full size crafts or R/C. Just enjoy it. Reading this site can scare the hell out of you though.

I've had mine since mid April and I've flown it 50-60 times and had mostly flawless flights. Every once in a while I get FPV dropouts and I had one VRS-induced hard landing. But that's it. If DJI would fix the compass and the video buffering problems, this thing would be nearly perfect. You'll read lots of horror stories on here, I've read them all. Genuine flyaways are extremely rare. But for each unhappy owner I would bet that there are 100 happy owners.

Go for it.

D_Tshudy said:
I've had mine since mid April and I've flown it 50-60 times and had mostly flawless flights. Every once in a while I get FPV dropouts and I had one VRS-induced hard landing. But that's it. If DJI would fix the compass and the video buffering problems, this thing would be nearly perfect. You'll read lots of horror stories on here, I've read them all. Genuine flyaways are extremely rare. But for each unhappy owner I would bet that there are 100 happy owners.

Go for it.

Thank you, is there anything I can do to prevent a flyaway? the guy who bought my drone yesterday (V1.1.1) bought mine because his flew away a couple days ago, before I buy it online I noticed so many negative feedback that I was pretty worried. I realize it's a small chance but is there anything I can do to prevent one that someone has figured out?

surfer808 said:
Thank you, is there anything I can do to prevent a flyaway? the guy who bought my drone yesterday (V1.1.1) bought mine because his flew away a couple days ago, before I buy it online I noticed so many negative feedback that I was pretty worried. I realize it's a small chance but is there anything I can do to prevent one that someone has figured out?

That's the million dollar question. If you make sure that your compass is in good working order, only take off when you have >= 6 sats, and only fly when the sun is calm (http://www.multirotoruk.co.uk/solar-weather), you should be fine.

varmint said:
Anyway, it's all water under the bridge since the H500 isn't within his budget, but again, I don't think it's detrimental to shop around. If not Walkera, then 3DR or any on of maybe 10 other UAS manufactures that don't start with a D and end with an I.

I'm looking forward to your flight tests and review of that sleek & sexy H500. Hopefully with lots of pics! :cool:

Like most of the issues / threads that are created here comes down to user fault or user ignorance.

Compass movement isn't a huge issue unless you're doing 35mph in a very confined area. If you're out in the open it won't crash into something unexpectedly.

Personally I think the Phantom is great but to me the biggest downside is the battery. So much care required! Drain this, don't leave fully charged for longer than x, if longer store at x%, don't let it drop below 8%, drop battery to 8% every 20 flights etc...

Don't think of the Phantom as a toy but a serious machine that requires proper care and maintenance and you should never have an issue.

Soulnet said:
Compass movement isn't a huge issue unless you're doing 35mph in a very confined area. If you're out in the open it won't crash into something unexpectedly.

Excuse me? Do you have any idea what you're talking about, and if so, how about elaborating on how this "non-issue" is has expanded into several thousand posts by us "inexperienced" pilots?

varmint said:
Soulnet said:

Excuse me? Do you have any idea what you're talking about, and if so, how about elaborating on how this "non-issue" is has expanded into several thousand posts by us "inexperienced" pilots?

Geez talk about getting all worked up. Here i'll fix it up for you.

Compass movement isn't a huge issue FOR ME unless I'M doing 35mph in a very confined area. If you're out in the open it won't crash into something unexpectedly.

Happy now?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl