aaaaand it's gone - update: RECOVERED! :)

Another thread delivers...

Jaejoong_popcorn.gif

Words can be fun. They can also get people (unnecessarily) bent out of shape - even more likely when conveyed only in text ... because tone and nuance are lost.

I get CJ31's point. It's just another perspective on semantics ... and he(?) has apologized for goodness' sake.

I suspect the disconnect is that CJ31's definition of being lucky apparently means "beating the odds", i.e., if the expected outcome is realized, luck wasn't in play. Not a bad notion, but perhaps too narrow for many. One dictionary definition for luck reads "good fortune considered as the result of chance". In CJ31's analysis "chance" plays a very minor role (the odds strongly favor not hitting someone), hence his notion that luck is not in play. However, many (most?) folks' perspective is that as chance is still involved (even to a minor degree), luck is in evidence. There's also the simpler thought that if you crash and do hit someone, you would be unlucky ... so if you crash and don't hit someone you would be just the opposite, which is (you guessed it), lucky!

LOL @ the arguments, and it's not even me this time.

Edit: also, i'm certainly not lucky i didn't hit someone, as a previous poster explained, the chance of me hitting a human with the time / location i was flying was literally 0.0000000001%, if even that.

Anyways, just powered her up, no problems whatsoever that i can see, v2 pmu, naza, datalink and btu still working perfectly, just a bit scared to try a flight since it's dark again lmao.

One of the landing gear legs is a bit wonky, which i think is due to a slight bend at the position you put the screw, so when you screw it in it pulls itself wonky a bit, and the threads seem worn on the other screw hole at that side of the landing gear, i think a larger screw will be fine though and that should pull it down in the correct direction to straighten things up.

Only problem I foresee is that it might not be sitting absolutely level (due to wonky landing gear) and therefore a IMU calibration may not be correct.

Thanks Visioneer. Good point. I guess some may have an intention of saying someone is lucky in the sense that oh good thing you didn't hit someone. And with that I of course agree. But I've also seen some posts and comments say "you're lucky, you could have easily hit someone" with which I respectfully don't agree due to the odds. I think of beating the odds as getting a result that is the opposite of what is highly likely. Such as winning the lottery. I think the odds are very heavily with us on this issue which is extremely lucky :D

For the record I'm not sure I totally agree with lucky and unlucky being mutually exclusive. I've never won the lottery but don't consider myself unlucky as a result. But point well taken and in the future I won't let the lucky comment irk me and will assume they mean it as simply a good outcome.

Davemcm I'm very glad to hear you got your bird back and that it sounds like damage is minimal. No more hijacking of this thread for me I promise :oops:

just a quick update:

everything is back up and running again, total damage was a popped out of place shell, 1 dead fatshark FPV camera, dunno what's up with it, just getting no picture whatsoever.

Have replaced with GoPro FPV cable for now and everything seems to be fine and took apart shell and realigned everything and put it back together and have had a few flights, no noticeable difference :)

Got some more P2V props and a new gimbal controller today so put everything back on and am getting around 8 mins flight time on fully loaded phantom with datalink bluetooth unit, fpv, cheap heavy gimbal. I am very happy with that :)

davemcm said:
just a quick update:

everything is back up and running again, total damage was a popped out of place shell, 1 dead fatshark FPV camera, dunno what's up with it, just getting no picture whatsoever.

Have replaced with GoPro FPV cable for now and everything seems to be fine and took apart shell and realigned everything and put it back together and have had a few flights, no noticeable difference :)

Got some more P2V props and a new gimbal controller today so put everything back on and am getting around 8 mins flight time on fully loaded phantom with datalink bluetooth unit, fpv, cheap heavy gimbal. I am very happy with that :)

Good news!
I gues you have been pretty "LUCKY" then, lol. :D

So I eventually uploaded the video after editing out the start site etc...

Recovered Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TEmqVInf74[/youtube]

It looks like you might have started to hit the geofence at 0:46. Any control inputs in the outward direction would then have been ignored. At 1:45 it looks like you switched to Atti and 'broke' the fence for a while. A few seconds later back to GPS mode? It will have tried to get back inside the fence but may not have succeeded due to strong wind and was leaning back against the wind at its maximum autonomous speed. I don't know whether it reacts to user input when in such a situation. Someone should try this. Set the geofence at 25m, fly against it to check it's working, switch to Atti and fly to 150m, switch back to GPS mode and while it flies back check whether it reacts to user controls.

At 2:32 it looks like Atti mode again giving full control back. You then make a 90 degree turn and are flying probably a bit outside the geofence parallel to its border which is on the right of the Phantom I think. Without the first part of the video it is not entirely certain where you came from and where the HP is. At 2:53 what looks like a switch back to GPS mode causing the Phantom to tilt hard to the right trying to return to the geofence border against the wind. Then perhaps a FailSafe activation causing it to rotate for a RTH. Then what looks and sounds like extra user input trying to advance against a strong headwind but barely succeeding. I think the wind was ultimately the greatest problem and it looked unlikely it would have been able to make it all the way home. Perhaps at lower altitude.

Big Ben said:
It looks like you might have started to hit the geofence at 0:46. Any control inputs in the outward direction would then have been ignored. At 1:45 it looks like you switched to Atti and 'broke' the fence for a while. A few seconds later back to GPS mode? It will have tried to get back inside the fence but may not have succeeded due to strong wind and was leaning back against the wind at its maximum autonomous speed. I don't know whether it reacts to user input when in such a situation. Someone should try this. Set the geofence at 25m, fly against it to check it's working, switch to Atti and fly to 150m, switch back to GPS mode and while it flies back check whether it reacts to user controls.

At 2:32 it looks like Atti mode again giving full control back. You then make a 90 degree turn and are flying probably a bit outside the geofence parallel to its border which is on the right of the Phantom I think. Without the first part of the video it is not entirely certain where you came from and where the HP is. At 2:53 what looks like a switch back to GPS mode causing the Phantom to tilt hard to the right trying to return to the geofence border against the wind. Then perhaps a FailSafe activation causing it to rotate for a RTH. Then what looks and sounds like extra user input trying to advance against a strong headwind but barely succeeding. I think the wind was ultimately the greatest problem and it looked unlikely it would have been able to make it all the way home. Perhaps at lower altitude.

I would agree with pretty much everything there except the start doesn't make sense, as i'm pretty sure i was in Atti mode taking off and for the rest of the flight till it all started going wrong, so the geo-fence shouldn't have been hit at all??

Also would agree wind was a major culprit, however, an even bigger one was me pushing it in completely the wrong direction in a disorientated state of panic. Hopefully that last problem has been solved with the addition of an iOSD Mini, so i shall always know which way is home now lol.

davemcm said:
After about 2 minutes of this and me flicking between atti, gps and failsafe, and it not seeming to move anywhere if much at all, i run back to the house to get my phone to call someone who might be in that area as the battery was getting very low at this stage but when i ran back out i couldn't get video anymore...

I just totally crack up reading that you were calling someone at 2 a.m. to be on the lookout for an errant UFO/quad! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davemcm said:
I would agree with pretty much everything there except the start doesn't make sense, as i'm pretty sure i was in Atti mode taking off and for the rest of the flight till it all started going wrong, so the geo-fence shouldn't have been hit at all??
At that time you can see the horizon suddenly dropping which indicates Position Hold becoming active with wind coming from the rear which can only occur in GPS mode. I can't see that behaviour happening in Atti mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl