A technical question regarding a stadium waypoint flights

Reaction score
So, let's say I was shooting a scene in a sporting arena (open roof).
I require the Phantom to fly from outside the arena - over the side of the building 300ft high - position itself into the middle of the open roof of the arena. Then slowly descend into the arena field with a sign attached to the landing gear.
Hovering approximately sign down 100ft above the ground for about 10 seconds. Then fly back up over the wall to the original destination to the starting point.

Given all the wifi signals and interference this arena will have. Is this possible to achieve this using the waypoint system? So no actual manual flying??
I hope you can understand my explanation

Issues.....

1. Likely loss of GPS signal
2. Almost certain loss of RC connection
3. Approvals from person in charge of event
4. Public liability insurance
5. Approval to use UAV for commercial purpose
6 Suitably of AC for intended purpose
7. Flying within LOS

Etc

Issues.....

7. Flying within LOS

Etc

8. FAA forbids flying at/around stadiums

Issues.....

7. Flying within LOS

Etc

1 GPS should be fine given how big the arena is. Google maps seems to work in there on my phone so I don't think it will be an issue
2.yes loss of RC but I didn't think that would matter if it's doing its own waypoint flight?
3.approved
4. Insured
5. No approved needed in my country for UAV if -2kg
6.not sure what AC means
7.will lose los but may be able to drop a longer line from the sign so I can still see it hover over the stadium

The size of a sign that can be read at mid-field by people in the stands of a large open stadium will be too heavy for the Phantom to carry. Have you done any testing?

And when you call up Google Maps on your phone in a stadium (or inside a building, subway, etc) you are using data not wifi and cell tower triangulation, not satellites. You will certainly drop satellite count as you descend into a stadium with a P2.

Last edited:
IMO you should not try it. It sounds to me like the stadium will be filled with people and being a P2, you are limited in GPS satellites. Your elevation mask is going to be higher than what uavforecast can forecast for you, and if you lose GPS the thing will be floating around aimlessly. Bad news. You'd have to be IN the stadium ready to take over. So you take over. Then what?

9) direct way to jail or expensive ticket I believe ;-)

But seriously:
I think you will lost GPS.
I think @MapMaker53 are right, the sign will be to heavy for the drone.
If u are not doing this for business and in order from the stadium, please NOT DO THIS as a joke.

This was a technical question being asked. It's nice to have lots of opinions about the law etc. but try to stick to the technical aspect and answer what was asked.

Seriously? When a poster might be breaking the law or endangering the public we shouldn't mention that in an answer as a concern?

It's been mentioned.
The technical questions still remain and I'd like to hear some answers to them.

The risks and consequences likely to eventuate in this proposed activity are clearly evident. If members of this community feel compelled to point this out people should not be surprised, what we do as individuals has the potential to harm the hobby. We are all battling public perception and don't need to be feeding the media and lobby groups with ammunition to petition legislators to impose further sanctions on the hobby we currently enjoy.

To stick with the technical issues;

Flying from outside the stadium control and video downlink will almost certainly be lost.

A waypoint mission may complete however it's not known how well. The OP has said GPS performance will be maintained as google maps works on a phone inside the stadium. GPS lock can be obtained with 4 satellites on some devices. The phantom needs 6. The phantom also does not attempt to use cell towers and WIFI access points to assist in determining location. And to assume it will be continuously available to all points on the proposed flight path is a brave assumption. You would need to fly manually inside the stadium pre mission to be comfortable GPS will be reliable. If GPS is lost during the proposed mission with no control link the phantom will drift sideways untill it finds the first object.

My suspicion is that the question is more of a theoretical nature. If it's a public event I suspect the organiser would engage a commercial operator with more suitable equipment.

... You would need to fly manually inside the stadium pre mission to be comfortable GPS will be reliable. ...
I wouldn't be comfortable unless the successful test was at a time when a minimum number of satellites were known available because the number of satellites available vary between a known minimum and maximum number - the low being 6 or 7, the higher being 12 or 13.

As long as the Phantom can maintain its GPS position it is technically possible flying waypoints. The way points can be close together and one sets the location the next the altitude to decend and the the next to climb when ready to depart. It would require 4 waypoints at the same location right together. One to get to the location then one to go down and another to go back up the another to fly away ot return to home if that make since.
I flew way points to my daughters house, dropped down over the pool video running then back up and then rerturn to home. I was at 150 ft. Flying there stopped and dropped to 50 ft. Back up to 150 ft the turned and headed home. Awesome!!!!
Safety first!!!!

Maybe he is asking some one to marry him. Doing it on the scoreboard is so old school ;-)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is it correct then that the Phantom will abort the mission and do an emergency landing not an RTH if the satellite count goes below 6?

Partially correct. The mission will not be able to continue but it will only auto land if the signal is lost or if the battery runs down to the auto land battery level and it cannot make it back to Home Point. Losing GPS will simply put it into Atti Mode and drift until it hits an object if not kept under RC control by the operator. It will also not know where Home Point is anymore. Actually, I believe if it is in the midst of a waypoint mission and it loses GPS, it will just continue to fly in the direction of the point it had been in the process of traveling to -- but it will overshoot that point and just keep on going in that direction unless RC intervention is performed or battery runs out.

Last edited:
If the sat count reestablishes to 6 or more the Atti mode will still remain and the mission will not resume?

If it gets back to 6 satellites it will go back to GPS Mode. What happens next is kinda guess work because I don't think there is any documentation on it. I'd imagine it'll continue its mission. That's what makes most sense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing