A little help on what to charge?

Reaction score
I am a licensed pilot ready to start a side business for a few Real Estate agencies around town using my Phantom 4. I have most of the process nailed down on what I would like to do except for what I should charge. I live in a smaller town of about 30k people, and when I research the pricing the people giving the prices are from much larger cities/towns. I plan on doing the post processing on my own, but not sure if I should do that for my smaller packages. I have done a little brainstorming and came up with 3 packages. The 3 packages (for now) are 1) $150 for 8 images (not sure to do editing or not) 2) $175 for 12 images and 3) $225 for 12 images and 1 minute of video. I'm not entirely sure if I am on the low or high side. An advice would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: Also, are there better ways to charge for my services? Example: packages based on the size of the home or possibly the cost of the home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Photographicsteve
Factoring in insurance, depreciation, time (including travel) and all other associated costs I can't see this being a worth while business venture- if your looking for pocket money to support your hobby then that's a different story. It's definitely not on the high side.

Reactions: Photographicsteve
Factoring in insurance, depreciation, time (including travel) and all other associated costs I can't see this being a worth while business venture- if your looking for pocket money to support your hobby then that's a different story. It's definitely not on the high side.
Thanks for the quick reply! I am doing this as a side business so it isn't my main source of income. If I may ask, what might you change the prices to on the packages that I have right now?

Minimise the choice

$340... 90 seconds of Video and up to 12 photos. All gone through post processed. All delivered online. Take it or leave it.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Minimise the choice

$340... 90 seconds of Video and up to 12 photos. All gone through post processed. All delivered online. Take it or leave it.

90 seconds seen to low for me, considering that the phantoms can go up to 20 minutes of video footage. I will say 3 to 5 minutes will be reasonable. Specially when this is something we enjoy and also making money in the process.

90 seconds seen to low for me, considering that the phantoms can go up to 20 minutes of video footage. I will say 3 to 5 minutes will be reasonable. Specially when this is something we enjoy and also making money in the process.
No one wants to see anymore than 60 secs. When i shoot drone footage for real estate the max I need is 20 secs. Anything else is ridiculous. People want to see inside the home right away. I wouldn't consider a video for less than $550. inside and outside with drone footage. Thats really cheap. You might not do it for a living but no reason to cut the price of those that do. no doubt your videos will be crap as well as you are not a photographer. Why is it that people why buy drones thinks they are videographers?

Less is more. If the first 20 sec doesn't convey the message why would you think another 4 minutes and 40 seconds might add anything?

Reactions: WestendSteve
Why is it that people why buy drones thinks they are videographers?
You're the first person I have heard say that. I don't consider myself any type of pro even though I own a drone and neither do many other hobbyists. Maybe some people have a background with cameras that we don't know?

....You might not do it for a living but no reason to cut the price of those that do. ....

BINGO! There is great value in a quality product and we should work as a group to maintain the price points.

DroneGuy92
you're probably not going to like my reply but it's meant to be sincere and helpful...

A) Your prices are ridiculously low. If you're going to provide a professional service (and assuming the product is professional looking) you should get paid as such.

B) Realtor's are "negotiators" by trade and if you start low you'll end up working for free or worse. Give yourself some wiggle room from the get-go so you don't back yourself into a corner and don't be afraid to stand up and not lower your prices.

C) Never EVER let someone else price you and your services. You have to sit down and figure out how much it costs you to do business (And for the record you'd better have the $$ for replacement equipment including aircraft or your business is just a fancy hobby) day in and day out. Even a Part-Time/side business should make enough $$ to run the business and provide fair wages. If you work for less you're screwing yourself and the industry as a whole.

D) You really need to come up with a detailed and comprehensive Business Plan before embarking on the endeavor. A quality BP will teach you about your industry, your market, your competition and allow you to determine very accurately what YOU should be charging.

You're the first person I have heard say that. I don't consider myself any type of pro even though I own a drone and neither do many other hobbyists. Maybe some people have a background with cameras that we don't know?
My comment was aimed at those that buy a drone and then think they can go out and earn money shooting real estate etc. A drone doesn't make a person a photographer. I just wonder why these people have so little respect for those of us that do this filming for a living.

I can assure you (and show you links all day long) that many new drone owners have illusions of grandeur thinking that buying a drone makes them an Aerial Photography Expert. Fortunately most of these will face reality when either their service is sub-par or they don't have a good business sense and within a few months they move on to the next "fun/easy" money maker.

I can assure you (and show you links all day long) that many new drone owners have illusions of grandeur thinking that buying a drone makes them an Aerial Photography Expert. Fortunately most of these will face reality when either their service is sub-par or they don't have a good business sense and within a few months they move on to the next "fun/easy" money maker.
Yes, we see videos everyday of a drone footage going over and round a house for 6 mins claiming they are going into real estate work. its a laugh really. Most will never make enough money to be able to replace the props a part of their maintanence schedule.

I see this question all the time, and I always reply; charge whatever your local market can support, and if that's not enough for you to consider it to be worth your time; then find a different profession. Obviously you can charge more in California for multi-million dollar homes vs. living in Georgia filming rental cabins, but also the cost of living between the two is vastly different so there is no one answer that fits all.

As others here have mentioned, it is a lot of hard work to make it as a professional photographer but I have outlasted many of my competition who simply bought a drone and started trying to charge for using its camera. If you are a drone pilot who happens to have a great camera on your drone; you simply will not make it professionally and your customers will quickly realize they get what they pay for. If you are professional photographer who happens to have a great new platform to elevate their camera equipment; then you will probably do just fine.

To me drones are just aerial platforms that let me tell a small part of a much bigger story. 10-15 seconds is typically the most aerial footage I use in any video, and 1-3 aerial pictures out of the 25 that MLS allows is typically the most that my real estate customers use in their MLS listings. Potential buyers want to see the interior, the exterior, the details; they won't be living above the property, what they want to see is the bedrooms, master bathroom, pool, etc. All of this is not shot with a drone.

I see this question all the time, and I always reply; charge whatever your local market can support, and if that's not enough for you to consider it to be worth your time; then find a different profession. Obviously you can charge more in California for multi-million dollar homes vs. living in Georgia filming rental cabins, but also the cost of living between the two is vastly different so there is no one answer that fits all.

As others here have mentioned, it is a lot of hard work to make it as a professional photographer but I have outlasted many of my competition who simply bought a drone and started trying to charge for using its camera. If you are a drone pilot who happens to have a great camera on your drone; you simply will not make it professionally and your customers will quickly realize they get what they pay for. If you are professional photographer who happens to have a great new platform to elevate their camera equipment; then you will probably do just fine.

To me drones are just aerial platforms that let me tell a small part of a much bigger story. 10-15 seconds is typically the most aerial footage I use in any video, and 1-3 aerial pictures out of the 25 that MLS allows is typically the most that my real estate customers use in their MLS listings. Potential buyers want to see the interior, the exterior, the details; they won't be living above the property, what they want to see is the bedrooms, master bathroom, pool, etc. All of this is not shot with a drone.
Spot on. I makes me sick actually when I see that a drone pilot that has never used a camera in his life thinks he can now film houses etc. The drone to me is just a tall tripod to allow me to get a high shot. 15 secs is enough as you say if that. I shoot display homes at $2,200 each and dont even use the drone in those. Unless a home is on a good location like a beach or other landmarks, i wouldn't even bother. Its not going to sell the house. I use an M600.

Reactions: Phil H
I am a licensed pilot ready to start a side business for a few Real Estate agencies around town using my Phantom 4. I have most of the process nailed down on what I would like to do except for what I should charge. I live in a smaller town of about 30k people, and when I research the pricing the people giving the prices are from much larger cities/towns. I plan on doing the post processing on my own, but not sure if I should do that for my smaller packages. I have done a little brainstorming and came up with 3 packages. The 3 packages (for now) are 1) $150 for 8 images (not sure to do editing or not) 2) $175 for 12 images and 3) $225 for 12 images and 1 minute of video. I'm not entirely sure if I am on the low or high side. An advice would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: Also, are there better ways to charge for my services? Example: packages based on the size of the home or possibly the cost of the home.
Hi There...from Minnesota...you are in the ball park with prices, but I think you should forget about counting the images and just photograph the house. It will be easier to just do the house and concentrate on your performance rather than how many you have taken so far. Raise your prices so that ALL of them are in the $200 and something and it will be even easier for the agents to remember that regardless of the house that you are in the $200 and something range. Small house $225, medium house $250 and large house $275. Then do Drone aerial photography and add $270 to the just mentioned prices. P.S. Always do post processing because that is "the style" that you deliver and your agents will expect that on ALL size houses. Good luck. Make money. Have funl

I am new to the forum and new to the drone Real Estate business but I have been a professional photographer since the 80ies. It's good to see people hear approach this as a business from the perspective of an adult that has a wife, car, children, and healthcare to support. Don't be shy. Figer out what it cost to be in business and what it cost to live. I guarantee you that you can't make a living charging $200 a gig, especially if you have to do the post work. After taxes that is $166.00. Now take out gas, wear and tear on your car, gear replacement etc etc etc. Basically you will be making $100 if you're lucky. Now calculate how many jobs you need to break even. The math just does not work. Now think about how much a real estate agent is making on the commission when the house sells. If they are paying you $500 that's a very small percentage of their commission.

Drone Real Estate photography is the ditch digging of drone work. The pay is low and anyone can do it.

With what I’m competing with here locally, there is no way an agent is going to pay 200+ for a few stills of their property. Now this could be a lil different on some higher end homes.

I feel it has to do with supply and demand. A year ago only a few in my area were pursuing this endeavor. Today, I’m competing with the guy who just got his p3s and thinks he’s now a pro because he’s pulled off a couple aerial pics that him and a few others think are great. And it’s not just one of these guys, it’s like 20 now. Your average agent has no clue about photography and are easily impressed.

I shot a property yesterday. The shoot was supposed to be for free. I give a free shoot for first timers (with conditions) as a way to get my foot in the door. The guy was in a rush and needed the pics ASAP so he ended up paying me. Anyway the agent is explaining to me as I’m flying that he just found out the guy they were using didn’t have a license or insurance. They thought this wasn’t a good idea being in the location we were (DT Portland). I was laughing inside as he was making it sound like it would be ok if we were somewhere else.

Anyway, Real Estate drone photographers are now a dime a dozen and they all have 10 years experience and 1 million in liability... lol. I’m sure there are a few professionals out there that might have a lil more experience with LR or Adobe that will set them apart. But when the average agent sees an add with good pics for 100 and they see a lil better pics for 3-500, chances are the pilot advertising for 100 will get the job. Remember, these pics aren’t going in an art gallery, they are information pics. There’s a guy in my area right now offering 90 seconds of video, edited I might add for 100 bucks! I’m sure the quality is not there, but to the average Joe who doesn’t know quality, the guy probably has a better chance landing the job than me.

As far as prices go, you have to be happy with what you make for the work you did. I have no problem shooting a house for a 100 bucks. I might spend 10-15 minutes flying, 20-30 mins driving, and another 15 mins or so editing stills. Take out taxes and fuel (which is a right off) and your left with what 65-75 bucks? Even if it worked out to 50, I’d still be happy. I love flying, I love shooting pics, and I love editing my pics. 50 bucks an hour to do something I love is awesome for me. Some of you might have higher standards than mine and if so then adjust your prices accordingly, but dont forget about the guy down the street with the p3s;)

Reactions: Phantom Pirate
I normally charge 250 for up to 60 images and a couple minutes of video ... Many times, they want interior images or video, which you have to workout with the agent. Be sure to take a camera for indoor use. I use my iPhone X. If there are any special requests, such as larger images ... well that's going to take a different drone, so then the price goes up. The price depends how far I have to travel, how many pixels I am shooting in ... 12mp, 20mp or 42mp.

But, for run of the mill, same county realtor job ... It is normally 250 for up to 60 images and couple minutes of video. That 60 images will include the interior images as well.

Drone Real Estate photography is the ditch digging of drone work. The pay is low and anyone can do it.

With what I’m competing with here locally, there is no way an agent is going to pay 200+ for a few stills of their property. Now this could be a lil different on some higher end homes.

I feel it has to do with supply and demand. A year ago only a few in my area were pursuing this endeavor. Today, I’m competing with the guy who just got his p3s and thinks he’s now a pro because he’s pulled off a couple aerial pics that him and a few others think are great. And it’s not just one of these guys, it’s like 20 now. Your average agent has no clue about photography and are easily impressed........................................

Amen! Now that's a far better answer / explanation than some of the nasty, derogatory comments on this post. Truth, facts and decency! Thanks, Helihover

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen