A different type of "Flying over water" question.

Reaction score
I searched and read a few "Flying over water" posts, but most of the were concerned with the bird falling in the water and getting wet. I completely understand the risk there, but my question is different. My concern has to do with range and radio waves, etc. If I stand on shore at the edge of a very large lake and send the bird straight out and fly at say 300 feet altitude, does the large body of water itself to anything funny to my transmitter's signal? Or, will I get extra extra range because there is absolutely no WiFi interference out there?

In other words.... If I'm going for a personal long range record, would a lake be good place to do so?

I've never noticed any negative effects over water but without obstacles your range could be a lot better.

Reactions: Matts175
I searched and read a few "Flying over water" posts, but most of the were concerned with the bird falling in the water and getting wet. I completely understand the risk there, but my question is different. My concern has to do with range and radio waves, etc. If I stand on shore at the edge of a very large lake and send the bird straight out and fly at say 300 feet altitude, does the large body of water itself to anything funny to my transmitter's signal? Or, will I get extra extra range because there is absolutely no WiFi interference out there?

In other words.... If I'm going for a personal long range record, would a lake be good place to do so?
Since the water is below your drone, it wont have any affect on the signal. On the other hand, going for a long range record over water would have less than optimal results (i.e. very, very bad) if you misjudge the amount of battery power needed to return home.

Since the water is below your drone, it wont have any affect on the signal. On the other hand, going for a long range record over water would have less than optimal results (i.e. very, very bad) if you misjudge the amount of battery power needed to return home.

Yeah. I figure on my first run, I'll shoot for 1 mile and come back. I'd be happy with that.

Yeah. I figure on my first run, I'll shoot for 1 mile and come back. I'd be happy with that.
You will do a mile easy....

Fly into the wind where possible or allow a significant safety margin for the return.

Be mindful of your altitude, full size AC often fly at 200 feet (where I am anyway).

You have a friend with a boat that can follow along underneath it, in case the wind changes direction?

I regularly do my range testing over water - I have wide river at back of my house. I get my greatest range there.

Range over water is dependent on height above the water. Water acts like a reflector for high frequency RF. I model boats as well and the range for them is significantly less across water surface than higher up in the air with same radio. The reason is the reflected RF interferes with the original RF. But as you go higher and we only need a few feet, the effect dies away.

So stay high - enjoy.

Ciao, in my case I not have problem with any interference ...the area is:the lake to cross 3km , varoious mountain with GSM Repeteur, digitale TV and radio, pole high voltage. I hoPe is help for you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl