9450 Props on Phantom 1

Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I recently bought the Phantom 2 Vision (9450) props for my Phantom 1. I put them on and took my Phantom out for a test run. I noticed immediately that the Phantom was more unstable than with the original 8" props. Reading this forum, I would say that it was oscillating (but not to the point where it crashed) - however there were times where it was completely stable. This occurred with the default gain settings (for the 8" props). I'm a little scared to increase my Basic gain settings because I've read that you're suppose to increase them until the quad starts oscillating..and it's already doing that. It was slightly windy today so I'm not sure if that played a role but I haven't had a significant issue with similar winds using my stock props. One other thing is that I haven't balanced my props (waiting on a prop balancer), could that cause fairly significant oscillations?

I hope that made sense. Thanks for your help!

Prop imbalance can be a significant issue, it really seems to confuse the flight controller. I'm flying 9450s on my FC40 and it hasn't given me any trouble, but I balanced them before flying.

If anything I'd say you should consider REDUCING gains if you're oscillating too much. Oscillation means the NAZA is overcorrecting to stabilize itself; reducing the gains may alleviate the issue. But balance your props for sure.

Thanks for the help! I'm getting a prop balancer today so I'll see if it still oscillates with balanced props and if it does, I'll reduce the gains.

I've been flying DJI 9450's without any issues. I think most knock-offs need balancing. I have yet to balance a DJI prop. Maybe I should start.

How did the balancing go for you boxalarm?

Welcome to the forum. :)

I've been flying DJI 9450's without any issues. I think most knock-offs need balancing. I have yet to balance a DJI prop. Maybe I should start.

How did the balancing go for you boxalarm?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcome. So after I balanced them, I took it out and there were no more oscillations. I can't say the balancing did much though because I also added a 600mW transmitter to a rear mount on my P1. I think this may have helped balance the GoPro in the front, also reducing the oscillations.

In terms of balancing equipment: does that make sense that oscillations would occur if the quadcopter wasn't well balanced? I thought the flight controller was able to recognize that and make adjustments, but I guess over corrections would cause oscillations?

Thanks for the welcome. So after I balanced them, I took it out and there were no more oscillations. I can't say the balancing did much though because I also added a 600mW transmitter to a rear mount on my P1. I think this may have helped balance the GoPro in the front, also reducing the oscillations.

In terms of balancing equipment: does that make sense that oscillations would occur if the quadcopter wasn't well balanced? I thought the flight controller was able to recognize that and make adjustments, but I guess over corrections would cause oscillations?

Out of balance or overweight will cause what I prefer to call goofieness. Some will correct me but they probably haven't done the flight testing I have. Here's what happens when you put 4 Barley Pop cans on the skids to use as floats. This flight test was done at about 6,000 Ft MSL.

Enjoy and, listen to how hard the motors are working because of the weight and drag; wait for it, it returns after a touch and go behind the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl