550 Pilot's lounge

Yes, OI... Connections are as you say...

Thanks for the diagram U.M. ... Yes, I'm using the GoPro for my FPV feed....

I should get this altogether by tonight... I'll let you guys know how it works...

ElGuano said:
UM - I assume you used at least one ground wire to/from the video in/out of the iOSD (the black line represents a video/ground pair)? I didn't think it would work if the video signal isn't grounded.
I assumed that the black line represented the video line and ground pair. That's how I see it...

PJA said:
ElGuano said:
UM - I assume you used at least one ground wire to/from the video in/out of the iOSD (the black line represents a video/ground pair)? I didn't think it would work if the video signal isn't grounded.
I assumed that the black line represented the video line and ground pair. That's how I see it...
Yup! When I was getting my FPV set up it wasn't so much which wires needed to be joined (Black = ground, Yellow = vid, etc.) as it was the correct order to daisy chain the components.

U.M.

Here are some pictures of my "family". Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and the F800(F550 with 800mm arms and retracts.
The pictures give you a perspective of just how big the 800 is. And, it has enough power to actually carry 1 of the Phantoms!!

Attachments

• SNC17525.JPG
    SNC17525.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 376
  • SNC17529.JPG
    SNC17529.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 362
  • SNC17530.JPG
    SNC17530.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 369
Wow!!! That beast is really big. I couldn't fit that in my trunk......what do you drive...... a flat bed?? LOL!!!

I'm impressed by "THE BEAST" in your UAV Family too, havasuphoto...

Since you are showing off your "Family" on here, I might as well do the same ;)

Here's my Family of UVA's (so far):

14176750599_7ee44340cb_z.jpg

My DJI f550 Hex and My DJI Phantom 1.5

Cool! It's better than Dronies...it's pictures of our extended Drone Family. You know-they have feelings too ;)

I think it's hard for people to grasp the size of the F550, vs. the Phantom. But then, when you had taller retracts and 800mm arms, it's really hard for people to visualize just how big that really is.
And-it's quieter than the Phantom when flying. And about 10 times easier.
The video out of that little 2 axis Zen on the very front, is so smooth, there is no reason to have a 3rd axis.

I am however looking at probably removing the retracts for now, and am looking for suitable, tall, replacement gear. The gear will never get in the shot because I have that "2-rail" system?? I don't know if people know what I'm talking about..but I can slide the camera forward and backwards, and the same with the battery tray. makes getting that fore/aft balance super easy. Another thing Phantom pilots don't have to worry about-center of gravity.

You have to pick your F up, by the end arms with your fingertips-check balance, then do the same for each opposite arm. Naza can only control so much fore or aft CG..and if it's to far out, it will flip on you.

What is everybody doing (if anything) about filming in bright sunlight? I recently did some flying/filming in and around a dam. Lots of water and brightly colored kayaks everywhere. The footage looks terribly washed out because it's just too bright for the GoPro. It is SCREAMING for a lens filter/polarizer, but as you know adding weight, ANY WEIGHT, to the GoPro has a detrimental effect on the gimbal. Curious as to what the rest of you are doing, if anything, to combat this?

U.M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnxQ9yJvSI

Uncle Meat said:
What is everybody doing (if anything) about filming in bright sunlight? I recently did some flying/filming in and around a dam. Lots of water and brightly colored kayaks everywhere. The footage looks terribly washed out because it's just too bright for the GoPro. It is SCREAMING for a lens filter/polarizer, but as you know adding weight, ANY WEIGHT, to the GoPro has a detrimental effect on the gimbal. Curious as to what the rest of you are doing, if anything, to combat this?

U.M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnxQ9yJvSI
I put a filter on my Gropro, and then just balanced out the difference with a couple of fishing weights on the other side of my gimbal. No issues at all. looks GREAT! Last LONG TIME!

Uncle Meat said:
What is everybody doing (if anything) about filming in bright sunlight? but as you know adding weight, ANY WEIGHT, to the GoPro has a detrimental effect on the gimbal. Curious as to what the rest of you are doing, if anything, to combat this?

U.M.

I think 'some' of the concern about weight on the gimbal is overstated. As long as the camera is close to balanced, the gimbal won't have to do much work to keep aligned.

What I have noticed is that when making sharp maneuvers the GoPro will reset (go limp then come back up like it was restarted) and a lens filter can affect that slightly.

If it is still a worry, you can make an ND filter from bulk lighting film. It weighs only a few grains (grains, not grams). Still worried? tape a coin to the high side of the gimbal.

In any case, an ND filter is the way to go. It helps with several things - even jello.

In any case 2, early morning or evening has nicer shadows and filters aren't as important. ;-}

whitelens said:
I put a filter on my Gropro, and then just balanced out the difference with a couple of fishing weights on the other side of my gimbal. No issues at all. looks GREAT! Last LONG TIME!
ladykate said:
I think 'some' of the concern about weight on the gimbal is overstated. As long as the camera is close to balanced, the gimbal won't have to do much work to keep aligned.

What I have noticed is that when making sharp maneuvers the GoPro will reset (go limp then come back up like it was restarted) and a lens filter can affect that slightly.

If it is still a worry, you can make an ND filter from bulk lighting film. It weighs only a few grains (grains, not grams). Still worried? tape a coin to the high side of the gimbal.

In any case, an ND filter is the way to go. It helps with several things - even jello.

In any case 2, early morning or evening has nicer shadows and filters aren't as important. ;-}

What you both failed to mention was that adding these things to the GoPro voids the Zenmuse warranty. I guess that's the chance I'll have to take in order to fix this issue though... I guess if it burns up the brushless motors in the Zenmuse it'll give me an excuse to buy an H3-3D, but then I'll still need a filter and the whole cycle repeats itself... :lol:

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
What you both failed to mention was that adding these things to the GoPro voids the Zenmuse warranty. I guess that's the chance I'll have to take in order to fix this issue though... I guess if it burns up the brushless motors in the Zenmuse it'll give me an excuse to buy an H3-3D, but then I'll still need a filter and the whole cycle repeats itself... :lol:

U.M.

I would take them off if I was going to do a warranty claim. Sending it in with a penny taped to it would seem... wrong. :lol: However, haven't had a claim (have destroyed one in an accident and the others (4) are just fine. Again, though, the gimbal is not as sensitive to light loads (such as a small filter) as some seem to think. I once put on a Polaroid filter (dual glass with rotating lens) and it flew fine. Didn't use it, though - couldn't adjust it easily so went to ND. Try it. A lot of people are using them.

Edit: Oh... and just as casual evidence - almost no one has actually reported burning out a gimbal when using a filter. Many have claimed it will happen but there aren't any dead gimbals piling up. Since everyone reports just about everything on this site, I'm relatively comfortable that a filter doesn't hurt things. While I'm sure someone has had a failure, I think the worry is more folklore than fact.

ladykate said:
Edit: Oh... and just as casual evidence - almost no one has actually reported burning out a gimbal when using a filter. Many have claimed it will happen but there aren't any dead gimbals piling up. Since everyone reports just about everything on this site, I'm relatively comfortable that a filter doesn't hurt things. While I'm sure someone has had a failure, I think the worry is more folklore than fact.

I believe back in the H3-2D 1.0 days there were a rash of burnouts with the original Maxon-motor gimbals. I don't recall if this was balance/hood/cable/filter or un-related, but there were enough reports to be worrying. After a reworking by DJI, those problems seemed to be resolved mostly. Nowadays we do still see dead gimbal reports, but it's hard to ascribe a root cause to them. I think there are enough people running ND filters with and without counterweights where we'll soon know whether the motor-strain argument currently holds water...

I like the idea that Rage Cams will modify the camera for you and guarantee their work. I'm going to definitely look into this!

Thanks.

U.M.

*EDIT* I just went to Rage Cams website and saw their prices!!!! Holy mother of god!!! Some of their stuff costs more than a new Hero 3+!!!! :shock:

Uncle Meat said:
I like the idea that Rage Cams will modify the camera for you and guarantee their work. I'm going to definitely look into this!

Thanks.

U.M.

*EDIT* I just went to Rage Cams website and saw their prices!!!! Holy mother of god!!! Some of their stuff costs more than a new Hero 3+!!!! :shock:

Ahhhh... RageCams shock. I think it should be in the next dictionary update. I was able to get a GoPro white modified with an IR lens and a 'no fisheye' lens for less than $200 in an eBay auction. However, I also got one of the 5.4 lens setups in a GP Black. ($$$). I'm using it on the 810. It is great but it isn't cheap (I figured I could get a Nex 5 and Gimbal for less than the cost of the Ragecam and H3-3D). However, right now, I'm happy with it (thank god). I used it to shoot a wedding in April and it came out looking nice (fixed position during the vows - very unobtrusive and no bendy perspectives)

PJA said:
Yeah, prices at RageCams are off the charts... Lot of nice ideas for the GoPro though...

Did you see the ad for the "COMING IN LATE SUMMER OR SOONER" GoPro HD HERO 4?
Would it fit onto a Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal?

http://ragecams.com/shop/gopro-hero4-hero-modified-flat-lens-order-p-639.html
That's so funny. And, the article they linked to show the new GP4 specs was dated September 2013!!!
Here's the deal-Go Pro already had their "summer release"...did you miss it? It was shown at NAB in Vegas. It consists of a bunch of mounts and attachments for the Go Pro 3+...and, wait for it......new firmware with adjustable ISO/Exposure control!!!
That's it....

The Go Pro 4 won't be in consumer hands until probably late October or November-which is historically when they release completely new models.
And-Rage cam wants $1000 for what???? funny-what if the new GP4, has an adjustable lens??? OR, replaceable lenses??
Looks pretty simple to do-and Go Pro would make a killing.

But, we'll more than likely need all new gimbals.....perhaps by that time they will have the Zen H3-4D-which will be 3-axis, but have pan enabled!!!!
Now that's why I got an F550 with retracts!!!! :lol:

Why stop at 3 axis stabilization? Let's get a full 6-dof gimbal next, or even 7 (I've always thought we should have correction for time wobble) ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart