550 Pilot's lounge

Zippy's are the king of "get what you pay for" batteries, and they usually have a lousy weight/capacity ratio when compared to most any competitors. All the Zippy's I've ever bought are now just used for workbench duty. Always cheap, rarely worth it (if ever).

OI Photography said:
Zippy's are the king of "get what you pay for" batteries, and they usually have a lousy weight/capacity ratio when compared to most any competitors. All the Zippy's I've ever bought are now just used for workbench duty. Always cheap, rarely worth it (if ever).
Yea-starting to figure that out. But-3 Zippy's equal 1 Onyx....I think?
I have high hopes for 4S....thinks that's the more "efficient" way to go.......?

havasuphoto said:
I have high hopes for 4S....thinks that's the more "efficient" way to go.......?

Another way to say it is that one Onyx = three Zippys. If you want longer flight times, then...

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

Another way to say it is that one Onyx = three Zippys. If you want longer flight times, then...
OR, Triple Zippy's in tri-Parallel....that's like 24,000 mah!!!! That should get er done!!

havasuphoto said:
ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

OR, Triple Zippy's in tri-Parallel....that's like 24,000 mah!!!! That should get er done!!

Heh.. 2400 grams. It will run a long time but it won't get airborne. :lol:

ladykate said:
Heh.. 2400 grams. It will run a long time but it won't get airborne. :lol:
Of course it will!!! I have those big long arms and 1400KV engines...no problem. Was thinking of sling-loading my Phantom 1, just for fun....
And, I think they're only 600 grams each, so more like 1800 grams...
I'll know exactly how much they weigh in a week....I ordered this new fangled thing called a Digital Scale-that reads in grams.

havasuphoto said:
I'll know exactly how much they weigh in a week....I ordered this new fangled thing called a Digital Scale-that reads in grams.

845 grams each according to HobbyKing. They be heavy little tykes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... p_30c.html

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

845 grams each according to HobbyKing. They be heavy little tykes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... p_30c.html
Read the user reviews-the weight is wrong.....most say around 600g. But, we'll find out Monday when my scale gets here.

havasuphoto said:
Read the user reviews-the weight is wrong.....most say around 600g.

Ahhh... wouldn't surprise me. 600 seems a lot more in line.

Just got my "fish scale" to weigh everything...works great!! Thanks to OI Photography for the recommendation-best $8 I ever spent.
So, I'm going around weighing everything and here's what I got for my aircraft and things;
Basic aircraft-no GP or battery=2100 grams.
AUW=2779
Zippy 3S8000 Mah battery=600 grams.

The retracts weighed in at 320 grams.
So, when I first got the aircraft, it's AUW was 3093 grams.
Strange-that I only gained 1 minute of flight time by removing them...but that probably has more to do with the Zippy than anything else.

I think-at this point, I'm going to replace the engines. Just makes the most logical sense to me. And-the fact that I've read a few reports that say the engines I have now are a bit on the weak side, and you shouldn't run 11X5 props with 4S. Rather than try that, and possibly burn up the engines, I'm just gonna replace them, with these;
http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v2814-11-700kv-ii-brushless-motor.html
IF, they ever come back in stock. And, run the 11X5 E-Graups I have on there now. Probably look for a 4S 8000, or maybe 10,000mah.
That should get me to 10+ minutes.

OH, and my P2's AUW=1390, with flight times of 13 minutes, landing at a bit less than 30% remaining...sorry if OT.

OI Photography said:
FangsCPO said:
I'd like to get 4S but the LED lights that I installed state, "Recommended is 2S-3S". So I'm a little leery hooking up a 4S and killing my LED lights. That would be a lot of work wasted in my opinion. So I don't know.

When using anything above a 3S batt, often you have to step down the voltage for lights and other accessories (possibly including gimbal and FPV Tx) that can't take more than 12v. I use this BEC for that, has worked great so far with all the lights and other accessories I've tested it with: http://www.helipal.com/bec-for-fpv-syst ... v-out.html

I just put a tap on the main battery line, to use that BEC to create a separate 12v circuit.

Sometimes you may run in to accessories that require you to step it down all the way to 5v, I know there's BEC's available for that as well but I haven't tested any.
Sorry-I realize this is an old post, and I'm still working my way through all 77 pages-but, doesn't the Naza V2 and PMU? act as a BEC, when you switch Naza from 3S to 4S?
You know what i have now-and I'm wanting to upgrade my motors and go to 4S.....of course I will have someone with a clue do the engine install-cuz I'm fresh out of clue's.
but-I just want to know what I'm getting into, and make sure I keep an eye on things, as they're installed.

havasuphoto said:
Sorry-I realize this is an old post, and I'm still working my way through all 77 pages-but, doesn't the Naza V2 and PMU? act as a BEC, when you switch Naza from 3S to 4S?
You know what i have now-and I'm wanting to upgrade my motors and go to 4S.....of course I will have someone with a clue do the engine install-cuz I'm fresh out of clue's.
but-I just want to know what I'm getting into, and make sure I keep an eye on things, as they're installed.

That could be the case but my LED lights and FPV get their power directly from the same area my H3-D2 gets its power so there is no BEC to manage the voltage going through. The H3-D2 can support up to 6S and I could add a BEC to allow for use of 4S Lipo to also power my LED Light and FPV but I've got 3 good 3S Lipos so I see no need to move up to a 4S.

Hmmm..good to know. Have to find out where the power comes from that goes to the VTX.......
don't have led's-yet. most of the kits are for the 550 arms, and mine are 800mm......that's a lotta lights!!!
OH-maybe get those programmable ones-that can flash a message or something.......
FYI-only up to page 22 of reading.....

havasuphoto said:
Hmmm..good to know. Have to find out where the power comes from that goes to the VTX.......
don't have led's-yet. most of the kits are for the 550 arms, and mine are 800mm......that's a lotta lights!!!
OH-maybe get those programmable ones-that can flash a message or something.......
FYI-only up to page 22 of reading.....

Two good sources for LED Lights.

http://www.cooperuav.com/store.php

http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=256&cat=LED+RTF+Kit

I saw on here somewhere that I think El guano was using some sort of computer programmable lights.....just read through 34 pages-done for the night ;)

I have the COOPER LED's on mine... I like them a lot... I think one of you posted it awhile ago and I looked into them and bought 'em... Thanks!

I need to ask you guys a question...

I need a spare f550 screw kit. Some of my screws have stripped by taking the top plate on and off to rewire LED's (of course) and my iOSD, etc... I think I need a new screwdriver...

Would I need to get M3X8's... or M2.5X5's...

Any good sources for screws (beside the ones I found on eBay)?

Also, since havasuphoto was talking about BEC's and posted an old OI link, can anyone re post the BEC that was supposed to be in that link? The link doesn't show the item anymore... I think OI Photography has it...

Thanks!

PJA if you go with the Cooper LEDs they come with the option of a BEC installed already...obviously it will cost you more but that's one less thing to worry about.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West