550 Pilot's lounge

Uncle Meat said:
****! iOSD mini was not in the mailbox today as expected.... Grrrr....

Here are 4 quick pictures I just took of the Bat Wing on my 550.

Front view.

Top down view.

Side view. Note that the lens on the GoPro is almost flush with the ends of the arms. :shock: Can't get much further forward than that!

Top down view different angle.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

U.M.
****! Just when I thought I was pretty satisfied with my setup, now you have to go and show this! :shock:

labmansid said:
****! Just when I thought I was pretty satisfied with my setup, now you have to go and show this! :shock:

Yeah I hear ya bud! Know anyone who wants a slightly used Neewer FPV skid? :lol:

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Here are 4 quick pictures I just took of the Bat Wing on my 550.

Top down view.

batwing2.jpg

Here is another version of the Bat Wing... I like this idea... By the way, nice f550, Uncle Meat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F550-Fl...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8a40ed58

Uncle Meat said:
Yeah I hear ya bud! Know anyone who wants a slightly used Neewer FPV skid? :lol:

U.M.
So I haven't tried the math on that yet, but did that save you some weight versus the old skid and how much?

labmansid said:
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
So I haven't tried the math on that yet, but did that save you some weight versus the old skid and how much?

Weight savings of 180 grams! You could shave a few more grams if you installed just 4 legs instead of 6.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Weight savings of 180 grams! You could shave a few more grams if you installed just 4 legs instead of 6.

U.M.
Wow, theoretically that equates to about 2-3 minutes of added flight time, if I'm not mistaken. Have you tested that yet?

I've been flying mine bare bones for a month now and finally installed gimbal, iOSD Mini and IRC 600 TX today. I think I went a little too far forward with the gimbal in an effort to keep the props clear, so had to move the battery from the top plate to hanging off the back end to get the CG right. Moved the Z axis to -20 and it seems to be doing ok. Will probably bump up the gains a little next to compensate for the lower CG.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 341
PJA said:
Here is another version of the Bat Wing... I like this idea... By the way, nice f550, Uncle Meat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F550-Fl...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8a40ed58
Thanks for the compliment! I took a look at this mount you linked to and I like the design. Looks like it is a little heavier than the Bat Wing due to the additional parts. Additionally it doesn't get the GoPro as far forward as I'd like.

labmansid said:
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
Wow, theoretically that equates to about 2-3 minutes of added flight time, if I'm not mistaken. Have you tested that yet?

Well 180 grams is only a 7.5% overall reduction in weight figured on a max take off weight of 2400 grams so I doubt it's worth that much extra flight time! I'll be taking my first test flights this weekend if it doesn't rain.... which it looks like it will all weekend long . :twisted: I just received my iOSD mini and I'm wiring everything up tonight and I have tomorrow off so maybe I can get a flight in tomorrow and report back.

lgeist said:
I've been flying mine bare bones for a month now and finally installed gimbal, iOSD Mini and IRC 600 TX today.
Love your modified 550 dude! Those aluminum arms are da bomb! Any idea what the total weight of your rig is with battery?

U.M.

lgeist said:
I've been flying mine bare bones for a month now and finally installed gimbal, iOSD Mini and IRC 600 TX today.

Nice 550. Are those e300 or ? What kind of flight times do you get? (I know ... you just configured it... but let us know when you get a test flight or two in).

oops!! Just found the manual. Installing my E300.

Which screw is for the motors. I have two to choose from....do I flip a coin. As always.....trial and error. I figured it out. LOL!!

ladykate said:
lgeist said:

Nice 550. Are those e300 or ? What kind of flight times do you get? (I know ... you just configured it... but let us know when you get a test flight or two in).

@ U.M. - No idea on weight yet, still looking for a scale!

@ ladykate - Yep, that's the E300's that replaced the stock motors I burned up using the too-long screws. I wanted to thoroughly flight test it before hanging anything on it and was getting about 11:45 flight time naked (except for landing gear) with 3S 5,000's and landing with 22% battery. Anxious to see what the new flight times will be with the camera, gimbal, iOS and TX! Will report back soon..

lgeist said:

A few pages back someone linked to this luggage/fishing scale from Amazon which is what I ended up purchasing. Seems to work just fine... Better than trying to use a bathroom scale! :D

U.M.

Only $9 includes free shipping.
WeiHeng® 50kg*10g Mini Digital Hanging Luggage Fishing Weighing Scale.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00972LOUM/

For you pilots with FPV be it goggles or screen. On your lower left corner of your screen or goggles. When you toggle between GPS/ATT and Manual or Failsafe depending on how yours set your up. When in GPS mode do you only see on your screen indicating GPS? I ask before prior to by F550 down and drown....whenever I position my toggle in GPS mode it would display GPS ATT and in ATT mode it would display ATT and in Faisafe mode it would display Failsafe. Now it displays GPS in GPS and ATT in ATT, etc. Should I have a reason to be alarmed prior to my first flight?

Granted, it's locking in on satelites. I had 11 on my screen last night. It also did the Home Lock. I'm getting all the green lights that indicate good to go.....clear for take-off. It calibrates fine and I even did the dance with no problem and even did an advance calibration.

Thoughts??

By the way....she sounds so different with the E300 setup. Wow!!

FangsCPO said:
For you pilots with FPV be it goggles or screen. On your lower left corner of your screen or goggles. When you toggle between GPS/ATT and Manual or Failsafe depending on how yours set your up. When in GPS mode do you only see on your screen indicating GPS? I ask before prior to by F550 down and drown....whenever I position my toggle in GPS mode it would display GPS ATT and in ATT mode it would display ATT and in Faisafe mode it would display Failsafe. Now it displays GPS in GPS and ATT in ATT, etc. Should I have a reason to be alarmed prior to my first flight?

Granted, it's locking in on satelites. I had 11 on my screen last night. It also did the Home Lock. I'm getting all the green lights that indicate good to go.....clear for take-off. It calibrates fine and I even did the dance with no problem and even did an advance calibration.

Thoughts??

I think on mine, it says "GPS" "ATTI" "FS" or "GoHome"

FangsCPO said:

Notice how bendable the props are, could this be the reason?

Uncle Meat said:
lgeist said:

A few pages back someone linked to this luggage/fishing scale from Amazon which is what I ended up purchasing. Seems to work just fine... Better than trying to use a bathroom scale! :D

U.M.

Only $9 includes free shipping.
WeiHeng® 50kg*10g Mini Digital Hanging Luggage Fishing Weighing Scale.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00972LOUM/

Yep that's the one I use, and it works great for the 450/550...just hook it up under one of the sides of an arm.

JTheed said:
FangsCPO said:

Notice how bendable the props are, could this be the reason?

could be......I know on my Phantom I have carbon fiber props and it flies so much better than with the stock props. It would lift more quickly and responded to my controls so much quicker.

I haven't tried carbon fiber props on my F550 since I've only heard negative issues with carbon fiber props on the F550. Now that I have the E300 setup...I'll see how they fly once I take her up on her maiden voyage. I just need to switch around the ESC wires on three of the props when I get home and see what happens. I've lost some of my nerve since my "Down and Drown F550" event. LOL!!!

Well my FPV setup is all installed and working. Weather is not being cooperative at the moment so no test flights yet. Hopefully I'll get a break within the next three days and get some flying in. Can't wait to see if the props and legs are completely out of camera view.

I'm really happy with the final weight of my bird. After everything is installed I'm only at 2220 grams.

Gonna have to use the stock rubber ducky antenna on my transmitter for now. Banggood sent me the wrong cloverleaf and it was broke as well. Trying to communicate with them for a return has been a major undertaking. Their English isn't too good and my Chinese is just awful. :lol:

Should have more to post within the next couple days.

U.M.

Updated_hex.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
Well my FPV setup is all installed and working. Weather is not being cooperative at the moment either so no test flights yet. Hopefully I'll get a break within the next three days and get some flying in. Can't wait to see if the props and legs are completely out of camera view.

I'm really happy with the final weight of my bird. After everything is installed I'm only at 2220 grams.

Gonna have to use the stock rubber ducky antenna on my transmitter for now. Banggood sent me the wrong cloverleaf and it was broke as well. Trying to communicate with them for a return has been a major undertaking. Their English isn't too good and my Chinese is just awful. :lol:

Should have more to post within the next couple days.

U.M.

Updated_hex.jpg

Looks like a **** spider or a crab....not sure but looks cool. LOL!! Where does your battery sit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka