550 Pilot's lounge

OI Photography said:
Don't let the cabling frustrate you too much or force you to buy a component you don't really want...I'll be happy to help whip up any custom connection you need for whatever you decide on ;)

It's not so much a frustration, but a desire to ensure I have ALL the pieces needed to put together an FPV setup. Nothing I hate worse than ordering a group of parts only to find out a critical piece of the puzzle is missing resulting in another order and time wasted.

I appreciate the offer to make up a cable for me my friend!

Here is what I'm looking at now...

Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor $160.00
Boscam RX-LCD5802 Monitor Charging Adaptor $6.00
Boscam 5.8G 400mW AV Transmitter Module TS353 $47.00
5.8G 4 Leaves Omnidirectional Gain Antenna For Receiver 2ea @ $7.00 = $14.00
5.8G 3 Leaves Omnidirectional Gain Antenna For Transmitter $7.00
FPV Monitor Holder Display Support Folding Carbon Fiber $12.00
FPV 5.8G Gopro3 Video Output Line Gopro AV Video Cable $4.00

Total of $250 plus shipping. Pretty **** reasonable I feel, and SHOULD give me great range from what I read. I've also read the Boscam TS353 400mW is actually better than the newer TS832 600mW transmitter. Supposedly the 600mW is not even made by Boscam and flyers are seeing better results with the less powerful TS353?

Comments, suggestions, observations?

Thanks!

U.M.

Well my F550 just went for a swim at the golf course close by my house. Not sure what happened but the divers are coming in on Wednesday to scoop up golf balls....maybe they find it and bring her up. I had just installed my new transmitter. I'll see how she looks and if I can savage something. I didn't see her go into the lake but someone reported a large bird falling from the sky and falling into the lake but it didn't come out. Now that is pretty funny!!! :lol: :lol:

Did my usual pre-flight stuff and everything was good to go. Looking back, when I lost control, I should have put the switch on failsafe since nothing else seems to work at the time. Pretty weird. I'm sure it was something I had to have done when I installed the new transmitter.

FangsCPO said:
Well my F550 just went for a swim at the golf course close by my house. Not sure what happened but the divers are coming in on Wednesday to scoop up golf balls....maybe they find it and bring her up. I had just installed my new transmitter. I'll see how she looks and if I can savage something. I didn't see her go into the lake but someone reported a large bird falling from the sky and falling into the lake but it didn't come out. Now that is pretty funny!!! :lol: :lol:

Did my usual pre-flight stuff and everything was good to go. Looking back, when I lost control, I should have put the switch on failsafe since nothing else seems to work at the time. Pretty weird. I'm sure it was something I had to have done when I installed the new transmitter.

Ouch! Did you set the failsafe override correctly? If it lost signal, it may have just commanded the last input - if that was down then it goes down.

That is a shame - hope you can salvage something!

It has been flying with no problems for the past few months I've never had any issues. Today I install the new transmitter and I'm guessing I must have done something wrong in the process. If anything it's a good excuse to get a new bird with the new E330 motors. :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
Well my F550 just went for a swim at the golf course....
Oh man I'm sorry to hear this! Think there's any chance of getting the video so you may be able to diagnose what happened?

U.M.

I'm hoping I get a call tomorrow from the golf course. It should make for a badass video to watch.

Will this work? Can I daisy chain the Zenmuse GCU through the iOSD and then into the PMU or will I need a CAN-BUS to pull this off?

Additionally, how do I interface the iOSD with the FPV transmitter. Their inputs/outputs don't exactly match up? Or should I be using the video out from the Zenmuse GCU and running that to the FPV transmitter? If I connect the transmitter to the Zenmuse GCU won't that bypass the iOSD and thusly result in no onscreen display being overlaid?

U.M.

layout2.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
Will this work? Can I daisy chain the Zenmuse GCU through the iOSD and then into the PMU or will I need a CAN-BUS to pull this off?

Additionally, how do I interface the iOSD with the FPV transmitter. Their inputs/outputs don't exactly match up?

U.M.

You can do it that way. You don't need a CAN-BUS unless you are adding the Ground Station. You will have to solder the correct wires to each other for the hookup to the vtx unless they make a cable (you can get AVL58 cables and I saw a TS832 cable set somewhere - might try eBay). I just tapped into the correct wires from the provided cable with the iOSD on my first one - it is still working after seven months so I must have done something right. I have one I'm building tomorrow but I'm probably going to use the AVL58 kit for it (and that nifty circuit board/hub that B&H sells for $12)... no soldering... if you don't have an AVL58, it still lets you tap into the video without as much work... but you have to solder a couple of connections... but you are soldering the connecting cables from the kit - much easier. There is a diagram provided with the kit that shows different hookups. Here is the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... .html/_HUB

You can also tap into the GoPro video with this cable set: http://www.amazon.com/FpvFocus-Gopro-FP ... ideo+cable (which I would choose second or third)

Attachments

• 1024809.jpg
    1024809.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 515
Thanks Ladykate. I was pretty sure I could daisy chain the components.

I really want to avoid connecting anything to the GoPro if at all possible. I hear the secret to gimbal longevity is to NOT screw with the balance of the unit as it relates to mounting the GoPro. Adding a connection to the USB could cause extra strain on the brushless motors on the Zenmuse and contribute to its early demise. So getting the video out from either the GCU or the iOSD is much preferred.

I'll see if anyone makes a Boscam TS353 vtx to DJI iOSD interface cable, or at least a diagram showing how to connect the two.

U.M.

Question: My F550 is being pulling out of a pond today...............hopefully. It's been down there since Monday. How much can I salvage from this bird? Any recommendations after I rinse her off for drying the components after and before I attempt at running any power through them? I've always heard stick them in a bag of rice. True or urban legend. I've also heard rinse them off with alcohol since it will evaporate. Thoughts? I don't think I'll be using this NAZA again since that is the brains of the system and not sure what the water may have done to it.

FangsCPO said:
Question: My F550 is being pulling out of a pond today...............hopefully. It's been down there since Monday. How much can I salvage from this bird? Any recommendations after I rinse her off for drying the components after and before I attempt at running any power through them? I've always heard stick them in a bag of rice. True or urban legend. I've also heard rinse them off with alcohol since it will evaporate. Thoughts? I don't think I'll be using this NAZA again since that is the brains of the system and not sure what the water may have done to it.

I would be careful of using solvents - the motor windings are coated as are several other pieces in the electronics - the alcohol 'shouldn't' harm them but you can dry them off without it. Be sure to rinse the mud and other crap out as thoroughly as you can - don't hesitate to be thorough - after all, it has been sitting in the pond for days so more water isn't going to hurt more.

I would take it completely apart and test each component before reassembling it. That especially includes the ESCs and motors. I grimace to think of the bearings in the motors if silt is embedded in them. That is a major issue with flooded cars - the bearings are all contaminated and all moving parts have to be disassembled.

If the circuit board doesn't delaminate, then it should still be good - I would suspect you can salvage it and the arms with no problem. You might be able to salvage the GPS since it is sealed. The LEDs and such might also be usable.

Drying with rice works but you can also dry them by just sitting them out in the sun until you are sure the prune wrinkles are out. I would be afraid of getting rice inside the motors and jamming things up. Rice swells when it gets wet.

While it isn't a 550, I once salvaged a computer that had been sitting in a barn (it was an ancient IBM) and had bird nests, mouse poop, and filth in it. I took it outside and washed it down with a hose and medium strong stream. Let it dry and fired it up.

Alternatively, you could sell it 'as - is' on eBay.

ladykate said:
You can do it that way. You don't need a CAN-BUS unless you are adding the Ground Station. You will have to solder the correct wires to each other for the hookup to the vtx unless they make a cable (you can get AVL58 cables and I saw a TS832 cable set somewhere - might try eBay). I just tapped into the correct wires from the provided cable with the iOSD on my first one - it is still working after seven months so I must have done something right. I have one I'm building tomorrow but I'm probably going to use the AVL58 kit for it (and that nifty circuit board/hub that B&H sells for $12)... no soldering... if you don't have an AVL58, it still lets you tap into the video without as much work... but you have to solder a couple of connections... but you are soldering the connecting cables from the kit - much easier. There is a diagram provided with the kit that shows different hookups. Here is the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... .html/_HUB

You can also tap into the GoPro video with this cable set: http://www.amazon.com/FpvFocus-Gopro-FP ... ideo+cable (which I would choose second or third)

I'm being told on another forum I should wire it up like this. Doesn't the S-BUS carry video signal so the Zenmuse GCU video out to iOSD video in would be redundant? ? Comments?

U.M.

layout4.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
I'm being told on another forum I should wire it up like this. Doesn't the S-BUS carry video signal so the Zenmuse GCU video out to iOSD video in would be redundant? ? Comments?

U.M.

layout4.jpg

That diagram is right and is one way to do it. You can also see that on the different DJI instruction sheets (see the Helipal one for the 550). The video comes from the camera cable into the H3-2D GCU. The GCU comes with a video plug (2.5 mm?) that has unconnected wires (mine has a JST-like plug on it) on the other end. Use them to connect to the iOSD and then connect from the iOSD to the vTX (as shown).

Also, the video on the bus is the system data - not the camera data. The iOSD mixes the two in a smart way so you can see it on your FPV rx.

Looks like I will have to almost completely rebuild my F550 now. I'm going to need to find a different configuration for my electronic components. I need to fit the following modules to the bottom plate of my F550:

Naza-M
PCU
Futaba receiver
Zenmuse GCU
iOSD
Boscam TS353 vTX

Gonna be a tight squeeze! :shock:

Think I could stack the iOSD on top of the Zenmuse GCU to save some space?

U.M.

The only things you can't stack are the GPS and IMU - they need to be away from wires and other components as much as possible. My A2 looks like a Jenga stack - I have everything on one corner. Be careful that you stack them so you can get to any cable ports if needed.

Oh... and I keep the vTX away from everything else as much as possible - just because.

Uncle Meat said:
Looks like I will have to almost completely rebuild my F550 now. I'm going to need to find a different configuration for my electronic components. I need to fit the following modules to the bottom plate of my F550:

Naza-M
PCU
Futaba receiver
Zenmuse GCU
iOSD
Boscam TS353 vTX

Gonna be a tight squeeze! :shock:

Think I could stack the iOSD on top of the Zenmuse GCU to save some space?

U.M.

Not really. I posted the pix on how Heli-Pal does it and there's room. Actually you'll have slightly more room since you went with the 600mw transmitter. The one they install is much larger. You'll be okay. Just make sure you bunch up your wires with zip ties to make it look neater and have easy access to anything that you may need to upgrade later on via computer. Good Luck!

FangsCPO said:
Not really. I posted the pix on how Heli-Pal does it and there's room. Actually you'll have slightly more room since you went with the 600mw transmitter. The one they install is much larger. You'll be okay. Just make sure you bunch up your wires with zip ties to make it look neater and have easy access to anything that you may need to upgrade later on via computer. Good Luck!
Yes I saw your picture and I'll need to do a little rearranging of components to get everything to fit and still have access to the different interface and USB ports. I actually decided on the 400mW tx versus the 600mW. I'm reading from reports by others the range on the 600mW is only marginally better than the 400 and the 600 is NOT made by Boscam.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
FangsCPO said:
Yes I saw your picture and I'll need to do a little rearranging of components to get everything to fit and still have access to the different interface and USB ports. I actually decided on the 400mW tx versus the 600mW. I'm reading from reports by others the range on the 600mW is only marginally better than the 400 and the 600 is NOT made by Boscam.

U.M.

I understand but I can't see what else are you adding that you would need access. I had access to everything...so I was always able to plug and do firmware upgrades without any issues. The TX is not a Boscam???? The box is labeled as such. Also, I know I only had one flight with the 600mw before it took a dive in the pond :lol: :lol: but the video feed seemed so much clearer than my previous tx which was 500mw.....not sure on the range though. It was also about 14 grams lighter and much smaller. Good Luck on your build. I'll be placing an order for my F550 Second Edition soon. LOL!!!

Uncle Meat said:
I read the Boscam 600mW is a rebranded Foxtech unit?

U.M.

Really?? Wow!! Does Heli-Pal carry the 400mw one??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West