550 Pilot's lounge

Uncle Meat said:
I read the Boscam 600mW is a rebranded Foxtech unit?

U.M.

Really?? Wow!! Does Heli-Pal carry the 400mw one??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Received my order of FPV parts from banggood today. Unfortunately the 4 Leaves antenna I ordered for my transmitter was not only broke, it wasn't the "L" style I ordered either. :x Guess I'll have to use the stock antenna until I can ship the old one back to Banggood and then wait for it's replacement. Banggood SUCKS with their packing!!! I'm surprised everything in the shipment wasn't broke. They just wrapped all my parts up into a ball with a 1/4-inch piece of foam for padding and then stuffed that into a DHL shipping bag.

Question for those of you running the stock motors (non-E300) on your 550's with 3S power... what props are you using? I'm currently using the stock DJI 10" props that came with my 550 kit, but am wondering if there's something better perhaps?

On a high note I received and installed my Iris Aerial bat wing and landing legs today. Previous all-up-round weight of my 550 with the Neewer FPV skid was 2340 grams. After swapping it out for the new stuff I'm now down to 2160 grams! I think once I add the iOSD mini and my 400mW transmitter I'll still be under the 2400 gram limit. Sweeeet! :mrgreen:

U.M.

Question: What is it that beeps when you initially turn on the NAZA is it the NAZA where you plug all your motors and receiver into or is it the LED itself? I'm asking because I've been working on my water logged F550 and right now I don't hsve the ESCs and motors connected but everything else yes. Is that why no beep sounds when I turn it on?? The ESCs and motors need to be connected?

*Spektrum Receiver working
*iOSD working
*LED lights on arms working
*H3-D2 Gimbal is dead...GCU working, tested it with my other H3-D2 gimbal.
*GPS - not sure yet.
*LED unit working
*I may just order the E300 upgrade.
*FPV 600mw is dead
Went back to my BOSCAM 500mw transmitter but I lost the connector wire for it. Those two have somewhat different wiring. You can see what I mean on the Heli-Pal website.

More testing to come.

FangsCPO said:
Question: What is it that beeps when you initially turn on the NAZA is it the NAZA where you plug all your motors and receiver into or is it the LED itself?

The ESC is what beeps. Depending on which one you have, you might hear a '1,2,3,4,5' tone followed by a number of beeps that indicate what battery is hooked up. 3 for 3s, 4 for 4s, etc. You can also use the beep function to calibrate the ESCs (which you don't need to do on DJI ESCs). There are several different sounds you can get out of them ... depending on what you are doing.

I had all mine a little out of whack on my new build and they would chime in at different times. Sounded kinda like an 'a capela' electronic choir. Once calibrated, they all sound at the same time and can fool you into thinking it is coming from one place.

Thanks! ! Great info. I also think I may have figured out why my GPS was not grabbing satellites. The disc was full of water. I took it apart and I have it drying out. I'll test it tonight and see what happens.

Fangs,

It looks like you can salvage some of that stuff! Yay!

If you get an E300 set, you don't have to calibrate the ESC - just plug them in. They come setup from DJI (and, in fact, some have said they screwed them up by trying to calibrate them). You can't 'accidentally' calibrate them since it requires a separate process involving your radio, rx and specific throttle settings.

Good to see a few things survived.

ladykate said:
FangsCPO said:
Question: What is it that beeps when you initially turn on the NAZA is it the NAZA where you plug all your motors and receiver into or is it the LED itself?

The ESC is what beeps. Depending on which one you have, you might hear a '1,2,3,4,5' tone followed by a number of beeps that indicate what battery is hooked up. 3 for 3s, 4 for 4s, etc. You can also use the beep function to calibrate the ESCs (which you don't need to do on DJI ESCs). There are several different sounds you can get out of them ... depending on what you are doing.

I had all mine a little out of whack on my new build and they would chime in at different times. Sounded kinda like an 'a capela' electronic choir. Once calibrated, they all sound at the same time and can fool you into thinking it is coming from one place.

I've been told (and I think it was from ElGuano, if I'm not mistaken) that the ESC's control the beeps, but it's actually the motors that emit the sound, by causing the bell housings to vibrate at a set frequency (at the command of the ESC).

OI Photography said:
I've been told (and I think it was from ElGuano, if I'm not mistaken) that the ESC's control the beeps, but it's actually the motors that emit the sound, by causing the bell housings to vibrate at a set frequency (at the command of the ESC).

Interesting. That is a clever way to do it. Using the motors for speakers.

Yep, the tone is set in the ESC firmware (if you have the hobby-wing reflashing card you can reflash the DJI ESCs, including the chime), which sends pulses to the motors. Instead of rotating the motors, the commands set them to vibrate at frequencies that produce sounds, so the bell housings act as speakers! It is super clever, and one of the least intuitive but most-fun-to-learn facts you pick up about the hobby, imo.

On a high note I received and installed my Iris Aerial bat wing and landing legs today. Previous all-up-round weight of my 550 with the Neewer FPV skid was 2340 grams. After swapping it out for the new stuff I'm now down to 2160 grams! I think once I add the iOSD mini and my 400mW transmitter I'll still be under the 2400 gram limit. Sweeeet! :mrgreen: U.M.[/quote said:
Hey U.M., any chance you can post a pic of the Iris Batwing installed? I looked at it on their website but can't figure out what it looks like mounted?

lgeist said:
On a high note I received and installed my Iris Aerial bat wing and landing legs today. Previous all-up-round weight of my 550 with the Neewer FPV skid was 2340 grams. After swapping it out for the new stuff I'm now down to 2160 grams! I think once I add the iOSD mini and my 400mW transmitter I'll still be under the 2400 gram limit. Sweeeet! :mrgreen: U.M.[/quote said:
Hey U.M., any chance you can post a pic of the Iris Batwing installed? I looked at it on their website but can't figure out what it looks like mounted?

I'm dying to see this also....it looks like you would have the props in view from their website photo but I could be wrong.

I'll post pics as soon as I get home guys.

I installed the Bat Wing as far out on the front arms as I could. I can tell you my GoPro does sit farther forward now than it did with the Neewer FPV skid by at least an inch and a half or more. I was playing with the balance/COG last night and I'm going to have to mount that monster 6400mAh battery as far rearward on the top plate will allow so I can to off set the GoPro/Gimbal weight. I haven't flown it yet because I was/am waiting for the last component of my FPV setup (iOSD mini) to arrive today so I can complete my upgrade.

U.M.

Wow! If you've got the GoPro that far forward, you are going to have to do some reconfiguring on the back end to provide some balance....right?

FangsCPO said:
Wow! If you've got the GoPro that far forward, you are going to have to do some reconfiguring on the back end to provide some balance....right?
Yes, if I place the battery all the way rearward on the top plate it almost counteracts the GoPro/Gimbal being so far forward. The saving grace was the extra weight associated with the Neewer FPV skid I removed was front heavy. If I also mount my TX and iOSD a little rearward it should balance out just fine. I'll also feel better having the battery on top versus slung underneath.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
FangsCPO said:
Yes, if I place the battery all the way rearward on the top plate it almost counteracts the GoPro/Gimbal being so far forward. The saving grace was the extra weight associated with the Neewer FPV skid I removed was front heavy. If I also mount my TX and iOSD a little rearward it should balance out just fine. I'll also feel better having the battery on top versus slung underneath.

U.M.

I know what you mean...........i was not a fan of the battery being on the bottom either. I keep mine on top and modified the Neewer skid to be somewhat balanced. I cut the plat the GoPro is attached to so it's closer enough to the center of the F550 to be somewhate balanced while also not getting the blades in view. Looking forward to hearing your report and seeing your first video.

****! iOSD mini was not in the mailbox today as expected.... Grrrr....

Here are 4 quick pictures I just took of the Bat Wing on my 550.

Front view.

batwing1.jpg

Top down view.

batwing2.jpg

Side view. Note that the lens on the GoPro is almost flush with the ends of the arms. :shock: Can't get much further forward than that!

batwing3.jpg

Top down view different angle.

batwing4.jpg

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

U.M.

That is perfect for shooting wide angle views. Nice!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka