50 foot fall from the sky warning

So as a new pilot, you might ask him how he put the props on the P3? Specifically, how tightly were they installed?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So as a new pilot, you might ask him how he put the props on the P3? Specifically, how tightly were they installed?

I watched him do it several times and it's fine. His backpack case requires the removal every time. (my case doesn't) but I was under the impression that due to the reverse spin prop coming off would not be an issue.

you must tighten the props. Spinning them on until they stop is not tightening them.

You need to give the props a little extra torque with your fingers after they are snug. Otherwise a hard braking action could loosen them...

I watched him do it several times and it's fine. His backpack case requires the removal every time. (my case doesn't) but I was under the impression that due to the reverse spin prop coming off would not be an issue.
if you just spin them on until they stop and not hold and snug them then yes can come off looks like problem solved user error with props not tight enough

That what he does - he spins them on then turns them so there tight probably a ¼ more turn

I understand you believe he does. Unfortunately you weren't there to witness make sure he actually did. On P3s I always spin the props down until they fully seat, grasp the motor, & tighten them an additional 1/8th of a turn or so to ensure they are tight. If they are just seated they can come off during engine braking. That appears to be what happened in this case or the prop would have still been on or near the bird when it crashed.

That what he does - he spins them on then turns them so there tight probably a ¼ more turn

Reactions: flpholt
If he's actually tightening them 1/4 turn past the point of where the motor starts to turn then I'd be willing to bet he stripped a prop just to the point where it was barely hanging on.

I agree. I find that after freely spinning the prop until it stops, it requires about 1/8 of a turn or slightly less to get it quite snug without damaging the threads. 1/4 turn is probably a bit too much and could have stripped the threads tots the point of failure.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: John N Kronyak
Reminds me of a post in the Litchi forum quite a while ago. A guy posted that he only had his P3 a few weeks and was using Litchi. He paused and took a photo and just as he took it with his Litchi app, the aircraft went dead. It fell from the sky and crashed onto the pavement into a million pieces. He was completely demoralized and blamed Litchi 100%. He never posted again.

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl