5.8 vs 2.4 distance

No argument, but every little bit helps. All I truly care about is that Auto 5.8GHz just works, for everyone who has tried it in heavily urban environments, out to 4+ miles at 100 feet AGL in every direction, with clear LOS! If it works there, it will work anywhere with clear LOS, which I have also confirmed. I'll leave the nitty gritty details of why to the more knowledgeable EE guys like you! :cool: Anyone who is having range issues in urban areas, and hasn't yet tried Auto 5.8Ghz on FCC, is missing out. If your issue is tree penetration, you'll need a 2.4Ghz antenna mod and boosters, as 5.8Ghz does not penetrate obstacles as well, and we have no effective 5.8Ghz antenna mod yet, so best to use those already available for 2.4Ghz.

Does that include the Titan 5.8 antenna ?

what is the recommended BEST external antenna commercially available for the P4P+ controller to manage 5.8G?
I would like to hear what others think of the Titan 5.8 system. I haven't tried it, and it is expensive. But, it is an option. I use their 2.4 system, and car antenna. Cold up here, and it is very easy to use. I almost fell like a salesman for them sometimes.

Does that include the Titan 5.8 antenna ?
No experience with it, since it was not available when I was considering alternatives, and the current stock Auto 5.8Ghz range exceeds the P4P battery capacity for any round trip flight! Need a battery mod first, before any 5.8Ghz range mod will be of any use, assuming it can extend the range beyond the 5 miles of the stock antennas with a $15 windsurfer. No antenna mod to the RC can increase the power output of the FPV from the aircraft. That has always been the limiting factor. Without FPV, extended control isn't of much value, as you can no longer compose your shots, and can't see where you are going! :eek:

Reactions: AnchorageAk
No experience with it, since it was not available when I was considering alternatives, and the current stock Auto 5.8Ghz range exceeds the P4P battery capacity for any round trip flight! Need a battery mod first, before any 5.8Ghz range mod will be of any use, assuming it can extend the range beyond the 5 miles of the stock antennas with a $15 windsurfer. No antenna mod to the RC can increase the power output of the FPV from the aircraft. That has always been the limiting factor. Without FPV, extended control isn't of much value, as you can no longer compose your shots, and can't see where you are going! :eek:

I fly remote areas, so 2.4 is all I every use, trees. But, always good to learn from you and others about 5.8. That was $15 well spend. I like to experiment, part of the reason I was asking about Titan. It is a lot of money for the 5.8, compared to the 2.4. I have to wonder why the cost is higher. It seems that after all the reading I have done on this forum, their 5.8 isn't worth the expense.

I fly remote areas, so 2.4 is all I every use, trees. But, always good to learn from you and others about 5.8. That was $15 well spend. I like to experiment, part of the reason I was asking about Titan. It is a lot of money for the 5.8, compared to the 2.4. I have to wonder why the cost is higher. It seems that after all the reading I have done on this forum, their 5.8 isn't worth the expense.
Not sure how much the $15 windsurfer helps, but at long range, every little bit helps. It is lightweight and maintenance free, unlike the best antenna mods that also require boosters and external batteries. I was forced to experiment in the past, as the existing stock setups on the P3P and P4 did not deliver on either the promised range or battery life. Candidly, the mods were a PIA to deal with, and so heavy that they required a tray beneath to support the extra RC weight, as just a neck strap would rip the RC in two, with the mod weight on the bottom. The external batteries are also not easily swappable, and are expensive. Once you find a lightweight stock setup that works, it's hard to even conceive of going back to all that hassle for a marginal gain. I'd get a battery mod long before I would try any new transmitter mod. The battery mod will guarantee extra flight time. Any RC mod without a battery mod is a waste of money, as the existing stock Auto 5.8 range already exceeds the P4P battery capacity for a round trip.

I honestly think that either frequency being better is dependent on the individual system. What a couple people here always describe 5.8 auto being the best, I just have never seen. I tried again tonight. Windsurfers, 5.8 auto, it was squirrely poor transmission close to me and never got better as I put some hundreds of feet away. I stopped, put it in custom channel and it got no better. I put it back to what consistently works for me, 2.4 custom channel 21 and bingo, strong signal back and confidence to fly without issue. Maybe it's the 5.8 antennas in my bird, but no way I can fly at all in 5.8 without low signal problems. I have confirmed this at multiple locations. The 5.8 frequency is all but useless to me. And I'm on my second remote with the same problem so I believe it's a problem on the bird. I think I'm gonna go with an antenna mod too now. What the heck, may as well.

I honestly think that either frequency being better is dependent on the individual system. What a couple people here always describe 5.8 auto being the best, I just have never seen. I tried again tonight. Windsurfers, 5.8 auto, it was squirrely poor transmission close to me and never got better as I put some hundreds of feet away. I stopped, put it in custom channel and it got no better. I put it back to what consistently works for me, 2.4 custom channel 21 and bingo, strong signal back and confidence to fly without issue. Maybe it's the 5.8 antennas in my bird, but no way I can fly at all in 5.8 without low signal problems. I have confirmed this at multiple locations. The 5.8 frequency is all but useless to me. And I'm on my second remote with the same problem so I believe it's a problem on the bird. I think I'm gonna go with an antenna mod too now. What the heck, may as well.
I agree with your analysis. Must be a defect in the 5.8 bird antennas. While each environment is different, I have used 11 P4P's with clear LOS, and all crapped out at 6500 feet in both Auto 2.4 and Manual 2.4, even with the channel hack installed, and selecting channel 31 or another obscure channel that delivered over 5 miles previously with the 2.4Ghz mods to the P3P and P4. In Auto 5.8, on all 11 P4P's, with each of their linked RC's, I still have strong signal out to 5 miles. However, under CE, the power outputs for 2.4 and 5.8 are reversed. My results are for FCC. As you say, nothing to lose with the RC mod on 2.4 for you. What is your current 2.4 signal range?

Reactions: GerryF
I'm in the states so I'm fcc as well. I'm guessing my 5.8 problem is bird side. It kinda stinks cause I'd like to have the choice but 5.8 is consistently hosed for me. I'm not a distance flier at all so I don't know my max range in 2.4 but at around 2.700' or so I get mixed results depending on the day and more likely, my poor positioning facing the bird if I'm not careful because I have windsurfers on. It's very rare that I need anything more than than that but I'd prefer to be completely confident if I need 3k' out or a bit more, especially when large orbiting at those distances is involved as well. I don't just fly straight as an arrow out at distance for the sake of the best connection. My typical routines put the bird out there and then face it back towards me and continue to fly half orbits and such. This makes strong connection more challenging but it's usually no problem between 1k' and around 1.800' away. I tried flying the other day without windsurfers on and did very poorly so I'm totally dependent on them being on. I'm considering one of the Titan mods for the clean and easy setup. I only prefer a boosted mod because I think unboosted antenna mods aren't really worth the trouble you go through to mod the remote. Anyway, 2.4 is all my p4p likes and honestly that's fine with me. Never a problem, even with my p3a. I only got the p4p for the camera, not for 5.8 capability.

You might also consider doing the channel mod to open up a broader range of available channels and choose a fixed channel to operate on. Both of your drones dynamically flipping channels next to each other could certainly be causing additional interference on the 2.4 band.
What channel mod?

I'm in the states so I'm fcc as well. I'm guessing my 5.8 problem is bird side. It kinda stinks cause I'd like to have the choice but 5.8 is consistently hosed for me. I'm not a distance flier at all so I don't know my max range in 2.4 but at around 2.700' or so I get mixed results depending on the day and more likely, my poor positioning facing the bird if I'm not careful because I have windsurfers on. It's very rare that I need anything more than than that but I'd prefer to be completely confident if I need 3k' out or a bit more, especially when large orbiting at those distances is involved as well. I don't just fly straight as an arrow out at distance for the sake of the best connection. My typical routines put the bird out there and then face it back towards me and continue to fly half orbits and such. This makes strong connection more challenging but it's usually no problem between 1k' and around 1.800' away. I tried flying the other day without windsurfers on and did very poorly so I'm totally dependent on them being on. I'm considering one of the Titan mods for the clean and easy setup. I only prefer a boosted mod because I think unboosted antenna mods aren't really worth the trouble you go through to mod the remote. Anyway, 2.4 is all my p4p likes and honestly that's fine with me. Never a problem, even with my p3a. I only got the p4p for the camera, not for 5.8 capability.
Is it still under warranty? What you basically have is a P4A, with a few extra unneeded sensors, that B&H was selling brand new, as the Deal of the Day, for just $829 a few weeks ago. It has no 5.8Ghz band, and the side sensors (useable only in tripod mode and beginner mode) and rear sensor are missing. Unless you fly backwards close to detectible obstacles, you'll never need it. Camera is identical.

Not still under warranty.

Not still under warranty.
You'll definitely benefit from the 2.4Ghz RC mod. You might consider buying a used already modded P4P transmitter from someone who got no more range out of it than the Auto 5.8Ghz setting, and now just wants to get rid of it cheaply, and just replace it with a $319 stock P4P RC. Ought to be a few out there. The modded setup is very heavy and cumbersome, if you don't need it. They might even trade you straight across for yours, as your RC 5.8Ghz is fine. It's just the aircraft thats defective. Lastly, you might just consider sending it into DJI for a quote to replace or repair the defective aircraft antenna. Might be cheaper than the mod. Good luck. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94