5.8 vs 2.4 distance

Reaction score
I read alot online about people stating they get better feed on 2.4 ghz. This is not the case for me. I get way clearer and absolutely no video cut out or glitch on 5.8. On 2.4 ghz I have gotten slightly blurry with a image transmission signal low alert. Now I do fly my P4P with my wife flying her P4 standard beside me. Could our signals be interfering with eachother when we are both on 2.4 but not when I'm on 5.8 and her on 2.4? Any suggestions?

You might also consider doing the channel mod to open up a broader range of available channels and choose a fixed channel to operate on. Both of your drones dynamically flipping channels next to each other could certainly be causing additional interference on the 2.4 band.

5.8 GHz has somewhat less range on paper due to the higher frequency, but in the real world all the noise on the 2.4 GHz band can result in 5.8 being a better performer.
That paper comparison assumes the same RF power. In the case of P4P the RF power is higher using 5.8Ghz, hence better distance running 5.8 AUTO.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Im a new p4 pro flyer. Was wondering how You change the frequency ? The owners manual is terrible.

Thanx

That paper comparison assumes the same RF power. In the case of P4P the RF power is higher using 5.8Ghz, hence better distance running 5.8 AUTO.
No, that paper comparison does not assume the same RF power, it assumes 2 dB higher output on 5.8 vs 2.4 as per the P4P controller specs. But as I think I've explained to you multiple times by now there are more factors than that, such as additional path loss on 5.8 GHz which more than negates the RF power difference (although the additional power does help to mitigate it.) But the difference in noise floor can be 10-15 dB which is probably by far the biggest factor in many of these cases.

Reactions: N017RW
Some great answers in here. I do find my P4P performs relatively equal to my wife's P4. She went 17000 ft out today with her P4 and had to turn back because of battery life, I was one 5.8 and went out 7000 ft the opposite direction but at the sane time and got low transmission signal but alot of things come into play, she was at a higher elevation, I had an abandoned watermark between me and my P4P.

5.8 GHz has somewhat less range on paper due to the higher frequency, but in the real world all the noise on the 2.4 GHz band can result in 5.8 being a better performer.
No, that paper comparison does not assume the same RF power, it assumes 2 dB higher output on 5.8 vs 2.4 as per the P4P controller specs. But as I think I've explained to you multiple times by now there are more factors than that, such as additional path loss on 5.8 GHz which more than negates the RF power difference (although the additional power does help to mitigate it.) But the difference in noise floor can be 10-15 dB which is probably by far the biggest factor in many of these cases.
Sorry, but you weren't clear. You didn't say anything about a 2dB higher 5.8 before, you just plainly said "5.8 GHz has somewhat less range on paper due to the higher frequency". Now I know what you really meant. I was simply clarifying these two bands are not equal is RF power for P4P, which is interesting to some.

As long as you now understand that the higher power is a negligible factor in the sometimes superior performance, my job is done. ;)

Reactions: lone droner
Height yields range - Power yields penetration.

Last edited:
The environment has the most to say over which is right to use.

In an urban environment 2.4 GHz is very busy and 5 is much less so.

In an extra-urban environment, 2.4 will "fly further" given an open sky but not much more than 5 for open sky conditions.

If there's a lot of clutter, then 2.4 will be better than 5 to penetrate foliage and other clutter.

There is no one answer. Evaluate the conditions and set appropriately. And yes, there will be environments where it's a wash.

Lower frequency also yields penetration depending on the environment.
This is true and easily observed on the audio spectrum as well. However for any given radio signal this is a good rule of thumb.

You might also consider doing the channel mod to open up a broader range of available channels and choose a fixed channel to operate on. Both of your drones dynamically flipping channels next to each other could certainly be causing additional interference on the 2.4 band.
Does the Mod work on the P4P

Does the Mod work on the P4P

Yes. Works on latest DG and DG4... actually... I'm NOT sure if there have been any DG4 revisions since the last time I flew my P4P. I would "assume" it would still work. You could check around and see, or just try it. It's a completely non-invasive software mod. 1 file.. if it doesn't work you can just uninstall then reinstall your DG4 app. No harm done.

Yes. Works on latest DG and DG4... actually... I'm NOT sure if there have been any DG4 revisions since the last time I flew my P4P. I would "assume" it would still work. You could check around and see, or just try it. It's a completely non-invasive software mod. 1 file.. if it doesn't work you can just uninstall then reinstall your DG4 app. No harm done.
Thanks. When using the extra channels it must be manual correct? The auto doesn't work on the hacked channels

Thanks. When using the extra channels it must be manual correct? The auto doesn't work on the hacked channels

Correct. All 32 will be "metered" so you can see where the traffic is and then manually select a channel to operate on. There is no dynamic switching so it's a good idea to watch your meter for a bit to ensure you select a completly "dead" channel.

The mod works in DG4. I have yet to even try 5.8. Probably never will.
IMG_0011.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4