Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

4k, Where do you keep it !

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by videcom, Aug 25, 2015.

1. videcom

Hi guys, just wondering what you do with your finished 4k movies. If you want to watch them on your 4k TV or take them to friends house or just archive them in your collection. I can't see the point of only watching them from your hard drive. If you upload them am I correct in thinking they are recoded so not true 4k. It's not that long ago that I started burning HD onto Blueray discs so for me it's 1080P.

2. chapsrlz

3. mmccurdy

External HD, Vimeo, YouTube.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Michael Collins

I think it's easy to end up hoarding gigabytes of garbage ... This is the draw back of these high definition solutions....

5. geebee

It's up to each of us to decide what is worth keeping.

Hard drives are now relatively cheap. 2tb hard drives cost around $100 to $150 depending on quality. I backup files I care about to multiple hard drives. Any drive could fail at anytime.

6. vgt

vgt

Cut down the footage to what is good, dump the rest. Not a tough nut to crack.

Kreso and skyhighdiver like this.
  7. Cacc

As a digital hoarder, hard drive space is relatively cheap. You can now get 4tb drives for sub-$200. You don't need anything fast as it is mainly for storage purposes, so I would say Western Digital Red or Green are perfect for the job. I still have every photo I have ever taken since my first digital camera over 15 years ago; over 800,000 photos, I would say a good quarter of those are crap shots and more half are now useless...but space is cheap. With 4k footage of which I have over 40 hours of, I keep the full videos plus downconverted to 1080p for lower resolution screens plus 720p as temporary files in Premiere (uses less resources while editing, then when ready to export the final product you just substitute the 4k footage).

If you want to go a little overboard like me, you can get a Synology diskstation for your own little personal file server with backup. Right now I have the DS414 with 4x4tb drives on Raid 5 which gives me about 11tb of useable space and redundancy if one of the drives were to fail. For a complete setup like that expect to spend around $1000, but well worth it if you also have the need to access your files from any device or computer whether you are at home or on the go.

Jeff48920 likes this.
  8. RoyVa

I'm a tech guy so I use the new wifi hard drive. It's small, self battery powered and can connect to any wifi device. Can play video and see photos without having to download. Stream direct. I use a sea gate 500 gig. It also can connect with a USB cable direct. Charge it up and you have over two hours of video playing.
    Put it in you pocket and off to your friends house to play video and photo there. Very portable.

#8 RoyVa, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. 2k3sgm

I have a FreeNAS server set up with two 2tb WD Reds in a Raid 1 mirror array. Easy to set up using old PC parts we all have laying around.

10. III% Streve

I put all my data, raw and finished work, on a home server that can accessed anywhere in the world. So I can process video sitting on the beach in Tahiti!
    Thats why many have several dozen terabytes of storage!

11. Sprague

(Were I lucky enough to find myself sitting on a beach in Tahiti I think my eyes would be on other things than my server ;) )

happydays likes this.
  12. Shammyh

I keep maybe 1TB or so of the most recent raw unedited footage locally and archive everything older (as well as everything current) to S3. Gotta love 99.9999999% durability. :)

Not it's not the cheapest solution, but since I already backup my workstation to S3, it was fairly easy to setup. Plus, since every night all my data is pushed to the "cloud" (S3) it means if someone wants to see a copy of a specific piece of footage, it's available anytime anywhere. And if that someone has a modern Internet connection, I can have 6-8 GB of footage available anywhere on Earth in about an hour.

I also upload specific finished quality videos to YouTube (shared privately of course).

13. shipdriver

Phantom 3 Pro 4K footage has low file sizes compared to my Panasonic G7 (its 4K is 100 Mbps), but does still take up a lot of space. However, once I edit the video, I hang on to the raw footage for a while until I get to the point where it is clear that I'm not going to use it again. Then it gets binned. Regarding online video sharing services, YouTube does have 4K video, but even 1080p final video that was shot in 4K is better than 1080p shot in 1080p. Vimeo does not have 4K which is a bit of a disappointment since they seem to cater to video artists who I would think would care about image quality.

14. Australis5

I'm struggling with this myself...at least the playback piece. I use a Macbook Pro Retina (has HDMI out), and I use a Thunderbolt WD Passport Pro 4TB drive (very fast, so I can edit from it). I use Backblaze for $50/yr that backs up my Mac and the external drive in case of failure. I have a direct attached Drobo, but am going to get rid of that and maybe get a Synology 1515+ NAS (still researching) For playback, I bring my Macbook over to my TV, which is a 65" 4K. It's not ideal, but it allows 4K playback which is incredible. I use Vimeo also, which will support 1080P via my Apple TV. Looking for a way to push my 4K content to the TV, without hauling the laptop to it. First world problems...

#14 Australis5, Aug 25, 2015
  15. unclejas

You could upload to YouTube and use the embedded client (on ATV3 as ATV2 no longer has a YouTube client) or push to your ATV with an iPad or iPhone via Airplay on YouTube. Otherwise, a system like Roku will play local media from a NAS for instance.

16. gfredrone

#16 gfredrone, Aug 25, 2015
  17. tcope

Yup. I edit everything into video and then keep that video where I can view it (usually YouTube and external WiFi storage). But I do also keep the source as well. I have a something TB WiFi drive so I can just drag/drop the files into folders. It has another external drive connected to it via USB plug as a back up.

Storage is cheap so it's easy to keep files. However, I agree with vgt... render the footage and then delete the originals is a good idea. Perhaps just keep the rare stuff.

18. III% Streve

I use Mezzmo for streaming at home at on the road
    http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/

What I do, what I CANT do are not always the same thing!

19. Sprague

20. videcom

Hey guys thanks to everyone for the input, I still have cupboards full of VHS tapes from the old days so yes I am probably a footage hoarder. You've given me lots of choices, some I had not thought about. Cheers

JohnK likes this.