4K versus 1080

I just did a quick video comparison test with my Inspire and from what I can see the ONLY video benefit to the Phantom 3 Professional is if you intend to upload or view in 4k.
I ran a test recording in 4k, then ran the same path recording in 1080p but at 60 FPS.
I then down sampled the 4k footage to 1080p in FCP and ran a side by side comparison. Aside from a slight FOV change the quality of the image is virtually identical with the exception that the 1080p recorded in 60 FPS looks much better/smoother.
I intend to get a Phantom 3 to compliment my Inspire when they become available (I don't do pre-orders) and all things considered I'll be getting the Advanced model and stick to 1080p @ 60 FPS.
Photos will be identical between the models and rather than having a fast charger I'll have extra batteries for less cost.
For the record I usually shoot in 4k on my Inspire but upload video in 1080p (mostly due to the rubbish internet speeds in Australia) however there is a very clear difference between 4k footage and 1080p if kept at original resolutions.
In another year or less there will probably be 4k @ 60 FPS available and that will be awesome but for now if you only do photos or upload at 1080p the Advanced is clearly a better option.

From comparing the Inspire to the GoPro 4 the Inspire is already much better than the GoPro in terms of picture quality and even the 1080p from the Inspire looks much better than the GoPro footage recorded in 4k and viewed at original resolutions. So the 3DR Solo makes even less sense when it's twice the price (GoPro included) of the base Phantom 3.

Okay, just uploaded to YouTube.
Keep in mind this was just a quick test on the ground and later on I'll try another in the field/air.
There's a few fast turns to show off the benefit of the 60 FPS and if you pause it at key sections then you can compare sharpness.
I also exported the 4k version which obviously really shows the resolution difference but if you're keeping it at 1080p then 4k doesn't seem to add much if anything.

Ur the best brother. but if i shoot in 4k and use a program to bring to 1080p 60fps is supposed to be better correct? look at the pic on this website http://www.rtings.com/images/resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png
Really it's only for anyone with a TV or computer which can actually show 4k.
I'm running on a 5k iMac 27" so can easily see the difference at original resolutions but yeah if the TV or computer can't even show 4k then the 1080p running double the frame rate will look better/smoother.

It's possible you will be able to tell the difference if the video is relatively still and zoomed all the way in.
4k has the added benefit of cropping/zooming to get to 1080p without using digital zoom but I haven't seen or heard of anyone actually doing that. Props are rarely visible and generally people compose the shot how they want it on the day and cropping the video would give a very narrow FOV to what was intended.

Reactions: luan agos
Okay, just uploaded to YouTube.
Keep in mind this was just a quick test on the ground and later on I'll try another in the field/air.
There's a few fast turns to show off the benefit of the 60 FPS and if you pause it at key sections then you can compare sharpness.
I also exported the 4k version which obviously really shows the resolution difference but if you're keeping it at 1080p then 4k doesn't seem to add much if anything.
youtube does not reconise it as 60fps so both videos in that video are 30fps.

Yes, there's no point adding frames to the 4k down sampled just to see how smooth the 1080p @ 60m FPS is comparatively.
Okay, so I've just put together a refinement of that same footage which does clearly show that 4k down sampled to 1080p is sharper than native 1080p.
I took 2 seconds of still footage from both recordings and stretched them to 10 seconds.
If you set this to 1080p in youtube and have a look down at the box behind the bike... that's got the clearest difference.
Hopefully this helps anyone decide between the 2 models.
Keep in mind this is virtually a static shot and movement (especially fast movement) will lessen the extent in which you could see any difference.

Yes, there's no point adding frames to the 4k down sampled just to see how smooth the 1080p @ 60m FPS is comparatively.
Okay, so I've just put together a refinement of that same footage which does clearly show that 4k down sampled to 1080p is sharper than native 1080p.
I took 2 seconds of still footage from both recordings and stretched them to 10 seconds.
If you set this to 1080p in youtube and have a look down at the box behind the bike... that's got the clearest difference.
Hopefully this helps anyone decide between the 2 models.
Keep in mind this is virtually a static shot and movement (especially fast movement) will lessen the extent in which you could see any difference.
That difference is pretty significant I'd say actually - now that makes me sway back the other way towards the Professional model. Jeez, right after I canceled one pre-order and made a different one for the Advanced, hehe.

Cause of that video, I just ordered the P3P with the extra Bat from B&H...........I'm not worried about the price difference, I just want options/flexibility with out looking back. I have the P2V, never got the Plus, so this is a good jump. I'll use the same strategy as I do with the Iphone, Upgrade every other.

Cause of that video, I just ordered the P3P with the extra Bat from B&H...........I'm not worried about the price difference, I just want options/flexibility with out looking back. I have the P2V, never got the Plus, so this is a good jump. I'll use the same strategy as I do with the Iphone, Upgrade every other.

I'm with you Pinch1020 - if the cost was more critical to me I would without a doubt get the Advanced model but I returned my +V3 and for a similar price will get a much better Phantom. I can absolutely understand why one or the other suits an individual's choice, but I know myself and fully expect to have a 4K TV in the next 6 months so P3P is a suitable choice for me.

A dumb question, perhaps, but how do you view the 4k recording? Does the TV have the facility to read it directly from the card?

A dumb question, perhaps, but how do you view the 4k recording? Does the TV have the facility to read it directly from the card?
Some TV's do and I'd assume most HD or UHD TV's do. My Samsung has a USB port in it and my micro SD has a USB reader so I can simply plug it in and view the files.

Strange. I have a Panasonic digital TV with a card reader. It reads the 1080p files from my camcorder okay, but not from the Phantom. I just get an error message saying 'No valid file to play'. I think some more experimentation may be in order...

I'm with you Pinch1020 - if the cost was more critical to me I would without a doubt get the Advanced model but I returned my +V3 and for a similar price will get a much better Phantom. I can absolutely understand why one or the other suits an individual's choice, but I know myself and fully expect to have a 4K TV in the next 6 months so P3P is a suitable choice for me.
Even if you don't have a 4k TV, watching the 4k files in 1080p will look better than just original 1080p. One reason is because of the increased color accuracy from the 4:4:4 chroma sampling from the processed 4k footage vs 4:2:2 from the 1080p, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Strange. I have a Panasonic digital TV with a card reader. It reads the 1080p files from my camcorder okay, but not from the Phantom. I just get an error message saying 'No valid file to play'. I think some more experimentation may be in order...
It comes down to the codecs in the device you're using to view the video. Find a device that can play the file and plug it into your TVs input to view it. Playing directly from storage on any device depends on what the device is able to play coming from the factory. Perhaps your tv doesn't have mov or mp4 support. Nice thing about mobile devices is it's a simple update .. TVs not so much.

Okay, thanks for that, bbfpv. I have viewed downloaded movies installed on my Ipod via a wire connection, so I know that works. I am able to view movie files filmed using my Panasonic camcorder directly from the card so, in theory, with the format from the Phantom being the same (1080p) there shouldn't be a problem.

I shall check the operating manual for the TV, in case I am missing something.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl