4K editting on tablet

Reaction score
I am researching what tablet to pick up for my incoming P4, and think that it would be cool if I could edit my video on it as well. Simplest way to move the data seems Android with just a microSD swap form the P4 to the tablet. Are there any tablets that y'all use to edit 4k video? What kind of limitations are there? Thanks.

4K requires a good amount of space and memory. Those are your main concerns. The more, the merrier!

I use Premier Pro, so with my iPad2, I can use the app for roughing in the video and completing on my Mac

If you have a Mac, choose an iPad. If you have a PC, go the Android route

Reactions: grizgrin
Your problem on a tablet will be system RAM. Most tablets only have 1 or 2 GB of RAM and you're working with 4K video & 4GB video files. My Asus ZenPad 10 can't handle playing 4K video let alone editing. Asus makes a model of the ZenPad S8 with a 2.3 Ghz quad-core processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB memory, & a 2048X1538 display. It goes for $279 & might be up to the task but I don't have it yet since only the black model is currently available & I want white.

Yeah, I figured there would be problems involving hardware, but just thought I would ask.

I recently bought an iPad Pro 9.7 exactly for this and benefits of a simplified workflow. No issues editing 4K footage with iMovie at all. exported it very fast and uploaded straight to YouTube. iMovie is very basic editing though I need to explore other options

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I recently bought an iPad Pro 9.7 exactly for this and benefits of a simplified workflow. No issues editing 4K footage with iMovie at all. exported it very fast and uploaded straight to YouTube. iMovie is very basic editing though I need to explore other options

I had read some reviews of the iPad Pro 12.9" online that said it just did not have the moxie to get the job done, it took excessive amounts of time to get it done. Also, how are you getting the data from the chip on the drone to the iPad?

I am in the position of not having a machine that can run most of your common 4k video processing software, so I will have to buy one. If I could buy a tablet with enough horsepower to do the job, I could use that for my screen for flying, and for video processing. 2 birds one stone. The general impression I am getting however is that I am going to have to buy one tool for each job.

I didn't wanna fork over the $45 for a sd to lightning adapter so I used a USB cable to transfer from PC to iTunes to iPad Pro. Wifi sync took too long. Having a sd to lightning is the way to go for sure though.

Hm I mean my videos are pretty basic and short (2 mins) but my main purpose is creating short web clips for social media so it's more than up for the task in that regard. Not sure about heavy duty effects etc.. I couldn't even reverse a clip in iMovie so I'm sure they are more powerful alternatives. I do know the 9.7 pro has 2gb less ram than the 12inch one. There is also a iPad Pro refresh in the coming months. But for my purposes current 9.7 pro seems good enough..

I have a 15"mbp pro that i use mainly for more serious video editing but for a short video I'm loving the iPad Pro. Especially for travelling cuts down on a lot of junk and I can upload directly to Twitter Facebook Instagram etc.

If you want a tablet-style editor, then consider a Surface 4

My objective is to find a processing device that I can use as a controller screen as well. Does the Windows app ecology have DJI GO or a similar app?

Your main hurdle is getting the footage off the SD card. Then you can use whatever will handle the size of your 4K cideo

My objective is to find a processing device that I can use as a controller screen as well. Does the Windows app ecology have DJI GO or a similar app?
No

It's android or ios only unfortunately

Editing 4k footage on my desktop quad core, 16gb, gtx 780 is sometimes slow and lags, on a tablet it would be a nightmare.

Maybe just cutting and splicing might be ok...

The iPad pro is capable of cutting and splicing for sure.. I am yet to fully test it out. For what OP wants I think its currently the best option for him. The new line of IPP with a10x will no doubt be worth the wait.. Software is also just as limiting as the tablet hardware right now.

I took 10 minutes of raw footage from the P4 in 4k cut it to 3 minutes 5 seconds and took 3mins 57sec to export as a 4k video to photos according iPhone timer. No effects, no transitions 1 text effect.

For $600 I sure hope it's good. Ought to make breakfast too! ;)

I am under the impression that while the iPad Pro 9.7 can shoot in 4K it cannot play it back on any Apple device in more than 2k resolution because no device has a 4K monitor.

I was ready to order the small Pro after reading the above but if I still need another unrelated monitor to edit 4K I probably should look for another option.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing