40 mile NFZ over Chicago!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For at least 3 days now there's been a 40 mile NFZ covering all of Chicago and surrounding area. WTF is up DJI?.

The FAA has no TFRs here except for around Wrigley Field for a baseball series. And that's only 3 miles.
This is HUGE and not FAA sanctioned.

Please fix this!!!!!

Dude,

Cross posting really doesn't get you much. This is not really P3 related. Better in the general section (where you also posted)

It may or may not do much. But I don't see how this is not "P3 related". It's of importance to everyone- anyone who fly's within a 40+ mile radius from Chicago. We are effectively grounded. Can't start motors.
I want to know why. Or really let DJI know there's a problem. They do have people reading the forums.
I know my own habit is to mostly only read the P3 forum and rarely just browse the General. I'd guess may others do the same- just look at the forum most important to them day to day.
And why does it bother you at all that I posted in 2 places? Not interested? Don't read it....

Don't know where you live Dude, but if your whole city was red zoned for no reason I think you'd be upset too. I'm just glad I don't have something important to shoot or on deadline this week or it would be a real problem.

Reactions: Wibble
So your AC will not take off? Do you have GEO turned off?
I wouldn't be very happy at all. But I can't wait to get home and check the map lol

I tried to turn it off 3 times and the Go app froze each time. Got the warning note about "the original NFZ system does not update" etc. and that's where it froze.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Question, does turning off GEO allow one to fly in a "NFZ", that would be great for those of us that want to fly around our property at low altitudes that are 5.9 miles from the airport.

Haven't had it long enough for definitive answer on that. I suspect if you are in a solid Red Zone on the app- such as within a mile of a sports stadium with no game, or say a State Capitol, I doubt it.
But first I have to be able to turn it off.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tried to turn it off 3 times and the Go app froze each time. Got the warning note about "the original NFZ system does not update" etc. and that's where it froze.

My recommendation is to delete cache (if possible), uninstall the app and reinstall.

GEO map of Chicago:
upload_2016-7-19_8-49-14.png

Question, does turning off GEO allow one to fly in a "NFZ", that would be great for those of us that want to fly around our property at low altitudes that are 5.9 miles from the airport.

No. Turning off GEO would be more restrictive. GEO moves much of the red NFZ to yellow or green and allows you to bypass those green and yellow areas. Pre-GEO, those larger areas may have been in red. However, if the GEO map is screwed up in some way, using the old NFZ info might work better.

@jephoto, I would find this very upsetting too. While you are awaiting a response from DJI, have you tried any remedies in case this is just a glitch.
Some trouble shooting thoughts that come to mind include but are not limited to:
Confirm others in your area see the same restrictions.
Trying a different device.
Removing and Installing the app.
Cold booting the device to wipe all cached memory.

I hope you get resolution soon. I too would be pissed if this were the fault of DJI and they were non responsive.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: matter
@jephoto, I would find this very upsetting too. While you are awaiting a response from DJI, have you tried any remedies in case this is just a glitch.
Some trouble shooting thoughts that come to mind include but are not limited to:
Confirm others in your area see the same restrictions.
Trying a different device.
Removing and Installing the app.
Cold booting the device to wipe all cached memory.

I hope you get resolution soon. I too would be pissed if this were the fault of DJI and they were non responsive.

Good luck

Thanks Traveler. I will later today.
When you say "cold boot to wipe the cache" clarify what you mean by Cold Boot?
If you mean have everything off, then restart RC then the drone, that's been done several times since 3 days ago.
But if there's a different method you mean, happy to try- just tell me the steps.

And- by posting here I am trying to get feedback from others in Chicao area.

Do have a second drone that just came back from repair and I will try that as well as my iPhone instead of the iPad.
Will update here after I do these later.

No. Turning off GEO would be more restrictive. GEO moves much of the red NFZ to yellow or green and allows you to bypass those green and yellow areas. Pre-GEO, those larger areas may have been in red. However, if the GEO map is screwed up in some way, using the old NFZ info might work better.
Wish I could try- can't turn it off. May delete and reinstall app later to see if different.

Update: all fixed.
Took Travelers' advice & deleted Go, reinstalled and restarted iPad.
All seems to be ok.
As I put on the General forum- apologies to DJI.
As I had flown several times just 2 days prior to this starting, I had no reason to believe my app was the issue. Nothing had changed- as far as I knew. And someone else reported the same issue- so I jumped to conclusions.
Happy it's resolved though. Very much.
Thanks for all your input people....

Just curious, was it just you? Or everyone in Chicago? I flew there on Saturday morning at the Midwest Convention Center (290 @ I294) (5.1m from O'Hare). Of course I am not using GO nor have the new firmware. It flew just fine.

Happy for you. Was playing tennis, thus the late response. To complete the post with your question of cold boot, on iOS you can hold down home and power for X seconds and it will restart the device. Would be equal to a computer shutdown/restart vs just hibernate.

Happy flying.
[emoji41][emoji106]

Just curious, was it just you? Or everyone in Chicago? I flew there on Saturday morning at the Midwest Convention Center (290 @ I294) (5.1m from O'Hare). Of course I am not using GO nor have the new firmware. It flew just fine.
And the fact that you weren't using Go probably made the difference. But it may have been something corrupted in my system. Because now it's fine. On another thread someone else in our area did have my same issue- but it may be just the sme- Delete and Re-install......
I just freaked when it happened because when the NFZ thing happened they made the Red zones way too big and it took months to get them to change it. At the time it wouldn't let me fly from Adler Planetarium which is outside the zone the FAA wants for an empty Sports stadium. And not necessary if there's not game or crowds there. Same with around the ballparks - having a 3 mile radius around Soldiers Field, Wrigley and Sox Park cuts out Huge areas of the city 24/7- 365. But they did fix it, for us and all the USA.
And that was real - not just me.

Happy for you. Was playing tennis, thus the late response. To complete the post with your question of cold boot, on iOS you can hold down home and power for X seconds and it will restart the device. Would be equal to a computer shutdown/restart vs just hibernate.

Happy flying.
[emoji41][emoji106]

Ah. I do that at least once a week. Just like a shower- whether I need one or not... :)
No problem. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl