Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

3D Modelling

Discussion in 'Surveying and Mapping' started by Flywest, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Flywest

Hi does anybody use their Phantom 4 for photo's to create 3D models. If yes, I would be interested to find out what software you may be usings and its pros and cons. Thanks in advance Flywest.

2. r62ewa

I have used my Phantom 4 to create a couple of 3D models. There are lots of programs available. I used a trial version of Pix4D Mapper Pro and it works great. The only downside to it I can see is cost, it is very expensive. But, you can use the free Pix4D Capture and create 3D models from your images and create 3D flythroughs. Once your Pro trial runs out you then have the free Capture program.

I have been looking at others but many use Cloud services that produce the 3D outputs for you and my internet is not good enough for those. But Agisoft Photoscan is supposed to be great for 3D models as well.

The only thing you have to be aware of with using the Phantom 4 for modelling is the images altitudes are stored as 'Below Sea Level' so when you load them they read as negative. There are ways to fix this in Pix4D or using an EXIF editor.

I am looking at using Pix4D myself as they have a monthly rental option, still expensive but convenient for specific projects.

Grasstec Geomatics likes this.
  3. PVFlyer

4. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. PVFlyer

The statue is shot by FPV Camera app, then processed by a cloud service.

JWH, Grasstec Geomatics and BigAl07 like this.
  6. Sinisalo

I prefer to use Altizure, after you upload the images they process them very quickly and you can create flyovers etc.

I also like dronedeploy because you can edit the boundaries of your map, the map can be ovelayed on top of a google map and you can measure distance and area (the total size of your map is measured automatically in acres).

You could also use Pix4D if you want to process the images yourself but unless you have a very nice computer it will likely take a lot longer(this is the reason I only tried Pix4D once)

Although each method has it's own capture software, I use the Altizure app for all of them. The altizure app does not have problems with altitude data so you don't have to use ExifTool. The pictures captured with the Altizure app are compatible with all the methods I previously discussed.

JWH likes this.
  7. PVFlyer

Unlike other capture apps for mapping, FPV Camera uses a very different way for optimizing 3D model capture.

8. Pharm

9. Sinisalo

What is it that sets it apart?

10. PVFlyer

Traditional 3D mapping capture approach wouldn't work well on 3D model, especially for tall object such as a tall building or statue. Worth to read more 3D Model

11. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I may have to try this service out.

12. Keith Mitchell

That's great info, thanks for posting it. Do you do 3D mapping professionally or as a hobby?

13. Sinisalo

Hobby, my dad wanted his mountain property mapped and I was more than happy to oblige. I have mapped a few other things since but not much.

14. Ptr

Ptr