2D & 3D Mapping

Reaction score
Any links in here for mapping with the DJI ?

Can it be done with the vision plus camera, as I here the fishey lens does not work to well with Automated Software that builds from the IMU data.

Would love to hear if anyone has gone down the road of mapping with the DJI drone - specifically with the Vision Plus Camera.

Re: 2D & 3D Mapping

Davekyn said:

Can it be done with the vision plus camera, as I here the fishey lens does not work to well with Automated Software that builds from the IMU data.

Would love to hear if anyone has gone down the road of mapping with the DJI drone - specifically with the Vision Plus Camera.

I have used the free Autodesk 123D Catch 3D modelling software with some success for archaeological sites but with a P2 GoPro fitted with a 5.4mm flat field lens so sorry, not exactly what you were asking. The stock lens should work reasonably well with 123D Catch however. Its not really a serious tool but fine for visualisations.

This is one http://www.123dapp.com/catch/Castleboy/2814247
and another http://www.123dapp.com/catch/Chapel-Island-high/2854192

Click the 3D View button at the bottom of the screen and mouse wheel - if you have one - zooms

As there is no exact way of getting coordinates from a videoed image the only way there is of doing it is identifying a known point in the image that has a known longitude and latitude position. This is where fisheye from the stock lens lets you down.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Davekyn said:

I have done it and it works very nicely.

You can use the stock V2+ camera although most of the time I take the stock camera off and use a Canon A2400. I also have a Canon S100 that works very nicely. Both can be programmed with a CHDK intervelometer script. Agisoft is fantastic.

Note: Although I take the stock camera off, I have a second, bare gimbal base plate (this is the plate that receives three cables from the Phantom) from a wrecked camera. This spare plate has the gimbal removed. I attach the spare plate and mount the Canon onto that with 4 regular thick rubber bands and a plastic bottle cap as a spacer that provides a flat surface. This allows me to use Vision App ground station to fly a grid. Works like a dream.

It never dawned on me that one could run GS in the + App without the stock camera. Seems that would work well for field crop survey especially when combined with the Apps for unlimited waypoints and the one for recording GPS coordinates to be synced with the video. Lots of neat Apps "coming online" these days and it becomes a challenge to figure out which ones will work together.

Below is a photo showing how I mount the Canon S100 to my spare gimbal base plate. Note the white bottle cap provides a flat surface for mounting. I would suspect the spare base plates are going cheap given the incidence of smashed cameras.

Rubber bands are fairly high-tech but have not let me down yet :cool:. The nice thing about the S100 is that it has a built in GPS for geo-tagging the photos. The S100 is sort of an industry standard camera for aerial mapping with UAV's. The S100 used in conjunction with the V2+, Vision App Groundstation and Agisoft Photoscan will give you a georeferenced aerial orthophoto (kml) or 3D surface model (tif) with very little fuss. Pretty decent when you consider that some of the commercial options run into the 10's of thousands.

Attachments

• photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 1,036
Thank You for the Feed back - When time allows, I will chase up the links and follow up on the information given here.

I love what you have done with the s100.

Something totally different that comes to my mind with that set up - is to mount a phone and launch whilst in a Skype video call to stream live. But that is for another day.

Lots to look into here already.

Thanks again for the feed back.

I've tried both the demos of pix4d mapper and agisoft photoscan with success. I corrected the photos in batch with Photoshop first however.
Old topic, I know, but what corrections did you do in Photoshop? And how successful was that? Can you really emulate NIR in Photoshop?

If you run an S100 on a Phantom 2, mounted on the gimbal plate like the one above, what sort of range do you get in a single flight? 20 acres? 30 acres? More?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl