231 Ft Distance

Reaction score
I took my Standard out today and did my first flight out of Beginners Mode. However, I seemed to hit a brick wall at 231 Ft. Maybe even shorter in places. I was using Litchi instead of GoApp. Is there something in the settings I'm missing here?

An interesting side note...It was a bit breezy out and I wondered if I should even fly. I checked the Weather Channel and it said winds were 10-11 MPH, so I figured that was well within a safe range. When I was out at 231 ft downwind from launch point and at 193 ft altitude, it REALLY didn't want to respond to my control to come back my way. Finally hit RTH and it struggled back home. I checked the flight logs on Healthy Drones. Boy, was the Weather Channel wrong! (Not that they are ever right, but I digress...) 28.3 MPH steady winds with 32 MPH gusts. OOOPS....I didn't crash so obviously the Phantom handled it better than I thought it would have with those kinds of wind speeds. But I really do think an anemometer is in my very near future.

download uav forecast from playstore will tell you wind sats cloud cover everything

Check that the following setting is disabled in the DJI GO app:

DJI-GO-Maximum-Distance.png

download uav forecast from playstore will tell you wind sats cloud cover everything
I have that app and I didnt even think to use it before this flight. But after I read your reply I started UAV Forcast and it shows current speeds at 21 mph, weather channel is still showing 10-11. I guess never use weather channel again for this, huh? I should have known better than to trust that app.

Check that the following setting is disabled in the DJI GO app:

View attachment 44435
Thanks for the tip msinger. I checked it and my GoApp screen looks a little different than yours. But Beginner Mode and Distance limit were both already switched off. Or could the GoApp somehow be running in the background while I'm using Litchi and then those settings come on automatically, then I have to go into GoApp to change them before flight?

I checked it and my GoApp screen looks a little different than yours. But Beginner Mode and Distance limit were both already switched off.
Was your Phantom connected to DJI GO when you checked?

It must be connected in order to view/change that setting.

It must be connected in order to view/change that setting.

Right you are! I just connected and re-checked and sure enough, distance limit was on. I switched it off, then powered down the drone, then powered down remote. Should that kill it?

I'm not sure what you mean by killing it.

That setting will be updated on your Phantom as long as it's changed while your Phantom is connected to the DJI GO app. There are no additional power sequences that must be followed after changing the setting.

Reactions: Gary M
I have learnt to my cost, that the ground wind speed has little or nothing to do with the wind speed at different altitudes.
If I intend to fly some distance and, If I suspect it may be too windy higher up, I fly to the altitude I intend to fly at with plenty of open airspace and, switch, briefly to atti mode. This gives a true indication of the wind speed and direction in your location.

I'm not sure what you mean by killing it.

That setting will be updated on your Phantom as long as it's changed while your Phantom is connected to the DJI GO app. There are no additional power sequences that must be followed after changing the setting.
Thanks so much for your help!

That
I have learnt to my cost, that the ground wind speed has little or nothing to do with the wind speed at different altitudes.
If I intend to fly some distance and, If I suspect it may be too windy higher up, I fly to the altitude I intend to fly at with plenty of open airspace and, switch, briefly to atti mode. This gives a true indication of the wind speed and direction in your location.
That sounds like a good approach for this issue. Ground wind was bad enough but you're right, when I got up around 200 ft it was WAAAAAy different. I guess I'm pretty lucky I didn't learn this lesson the hard way. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: martybabe
That

That sounds like a good approach for this issue. Ground wind was bad enough but you're right, when I got up around 200 ft it was WAAAAAy different. I guess I'm pretty lucky I didn't learn this lesson the hard way. Thanks for the advice!

No probs Gary. I flew a none GPS light quad straight up in still conditions. When it reached a certain height, it blew away at alarming speed and despite my best efforts and those of the motors, I simply could not overcome the wind and to my knowledge, the quad copter still circumnavigates the Earth up there in the stratosphere.:)

Don't be in a hurry, those wind speeds are very high, especially for a beginner. I have high winds here in Ohio, USA and I won't take any chances of damaging my bird.

Fly safe and often my friend.

No probs Gary. I flew a none GPS light quad straight up in still conditions. When it reached a certain height, it blew away at alarming speed and despite my best efforts and those of the motors, I simply could not overcome the wind and to my knowledge, the quad copter still circumnavigates the Earth up there in the stratosphere.:)

In the Stratosphere, thats funny as hell, lol! Sucks about the drone loss though...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl