2 Important lessons learned (the hard way)

Reaction score
So yesterday was a beautiful 50 degree day in Western New York. Took both the Phantom and Typhoon out for multiple flights. Lesson 1 learned: Don't fly your Phantom into a tree branch. Lesson 2 learned; If you are stupid enough to fly into a tree, Don't pick it up until you turn it off. Thing beat the snot out of my arm. Nothing serious but it showed me who was boss. :/

It's true that most accidents do happen when you fly near the trees. We can't avoid the trees always, so the lesson for us should be fly much above the tree levels.

Reactions: Jimmer
So yesterday was a beautiful 50 degree day in Western New York. Took both the Phantom and Typhoon out for multiple flights. Lesson 1 learned: Don't fly your Phantom into a tree branch. Lesson 2 learned; If you are stupid enough to fly into a tree, Don't pick it up until you turn it off. Thing beat the snot out of my arm. Nothing serious but it showed me who was boss. :/
a tree vs drone = winner tree
drone vs human flesh=winner drone
a tree vs Human...? make your own decission

It's true that most accidents do happen when you fly near the trees. We can't avoid the trees always, so the lesson for us should be fly much above the tree levels.

Tons of pine trees around where I live. Wikipedia says they can get up to 188 ft. So naturally I fly at 392ft. And am still paranoid about trees!

Tons of pine trees around where I live. Wikipedia says they can get up to 188 ft. So naturally I fly at 392ft. And am still paranoid about trees!
Me too. Seems like most horror stories I've read about phantoms crashing or lost involve trees. I always make sure I'm well above tree lines, even if it is overkill, I'd rather fly a lot higher than risk my bird!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

250' to 300' should be good enough for you :)

Reactions: Sabalon
It was nice in Syracuse too. I think we got to 54 degrees, in calm conditions. I got a flight in as well, with my new battery. Had a Parkzone Typhoon, but it was a 3D foam RTF airplane along the lines of their T-28 Trojan.

SD

I think the Phantom is ok. Like I said, lost a prop. I thought I might have bent a motor shaft but I think it was just the way I was eyeing the prop. Seems to smooth to be bent. May try jumping back on the Horse later today. That will be the tell all.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I think the Phantom is ok. Like I said, lost a prop. I thought I might have bent a motor shaft but I think it was just the way I was eyeing the prop. Seems to smooth to be bent. May try jumping back on the Horse later today. That will be the tell all.

Jimmer, your "horse" is quite robust. Hopefully it is not crippled and can you ride it safely again. Enjoy the rides!

a tree got mine also on my second flight in the wind mind you I tried to thread the needle between a wire and branches the camera snapped right off this thing is awesome though I bought a new one and sent the crashed one to a repair site I found on this forum

I did the same...I tried to catch the P3P rather than land... My arm is scarred for life no doubt.
Lesson: don't try to catch a drone in heavy winds!!!!

Reactions: Sabalon
Trees are a bird's worst enemy. [emoji38]

UK
No there not many a bird loves a tree to burrow a nest in or just relax on a sunny afternoon on a branch!! Get your facts right:p

Reactions: Grae
Well I took the p3 out for the first time since the crash, 4 new props and all was perfect. Impressed that after watching the thing hit the ground as hard as it did that there were no issues. No damage. Another reason why I stick with OEM props

Reactions: rene van der meer
a tree vs drone = winner tree
drone vs human flesh=winner drone
a tree vs Human...? make your own decission
a tree vs Human...? make your own decision" - I think the tree won that round as well. Just glad he escaped with only a damaged prop - ever so lucky.

Well I took the p3 out for the first time since the crash, 4 new props and all was perfect. Impressed that after watching the thing hit the ground as hard as it did that there were no issues. No damage. Another reason why I stick with OEM props

Jimmer. You are very lucky. Next time you will not make these mistakes again.
Count your blessings en enjoy flying.

Reactions: Jimmer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart