P3P Crash Lessons Learned

Reaction score
Well nuts – been flying this P3P for about 2 years and finally crashed.
Pilot error – flying off the Albemarle sound in the Outer banks. Misjudged a storm squall
which I thought was about an hour away. But it came in incredibly fast about 10 minutes after I launched.

So I bored it home full throttle – came in a little hot when a rogue gust of wind helped drive it into a juniper bush. It flipped over and dove to the ground (luckily soft grass). I did the CSC stick mode to kill the motors. Rushed over to pick up the drone to look for damage and get it out of the rain as quickly as possible.

Well – when I flipped it right side up – the motors started up again and a prop nicked me pretty good before I could shut it off at the battery. I think the motors stopped when they hit the grass and I didn’t hold the CSC long enough to fully turn off the drone. So – lesson learned - if something like this happens again – I’ll turn the battery off at the drone before picking it up.

The good news – the P3P flies fine – the bad news – looks like I need a new gimbal.

Sorry about that, truly hurts. You were just caught up in a hurry and things will happen. That is a good lesson learned for all of us whether flying a drone or driving a car.

You've been flying for two years and just finally crashed ??? Jeeze, when I first got my first Phantom 3 Pro I cashed it on the second flight ! I was very fortunate though, no damage, cashed into neighbors rose bushs.........which didn't really thrill them a lot, but "shore made me happy"

Reactions: Quest-So
You are 100% sure?
Actually I'm no 100% sure. But I have read numerous accounts of flipped phantoms and not being able to use the CSC for some reason. Usually a battery pull is required

FYI, CSC will not work if the Phantom is upside down.
You are 100% sure?

a CSC wont start the motors if its upside down, but you have me curious now as to wether it would stop the motors upside down, gonna have to get the quad out and find out,

Actually I'm no 100% sure. But I have read numerous accounts of flipped phantoms and not being able to use the CSC for some reason. Usually a battery pull is required
I agree sir. We've seen numerous reports of CSC not working after a flip and a battery pull being the only way to shut down. It seems like about this time last year we had plenty of these reports in a short time.

Last edited:
Well nuts – been flying this P3P for about 2 years and finally crashed.
Pilot error – flying off the Albemarle sound in the Outer banks. Misjudged a storm squall
which I thought was about an hour away. But it came in incredibly fast about 10 minutes after I launched.

So I bored it home full throttle – came in a little hot when a rogue gust of wind helped drive it into a juniper bush. It flipped over and dove to the ground (luckily soft grass). I did the CSC stick mode to kill the motors. Rushed over to pick up the drone to look for damage and get it out of the rain as quickly as possible.

Well – when I flipped it right side up – the motors started up again and a prop nicked me pretty good before I could shut it off at the battery. I think the motors stopped when they hit the grass and I didn’t hold the CSC long enough to fully turn off the drone. So – lesson learned - if something like this happens again – I’ll turn the battery off at the drone before picking it up.

The good news – the P3P flies fine – the bad news – looks like I need a new gimbal.

Please say you gots a video of the event? Please share!!!

Thanks

FYI, CSC will not work if the Phantom is upside down.

You should define more precisely in what conditions the bird is upside down. If I'm flipping the bird and keep it in my hand, the CSC command stops the motors without any issue.
True, while manually flipping the bird, the gimbal gets nervous a bit but it stabilises after 1-2 seconds.
It might be that during a crash with the bird flipped over, the CSC becomes inoperative, situation that should be treated by DJI as a SW bug.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic