2 Can Bus Ports - Internal & External

Reaction score
I installed my OSD Mini inside my Phantom 2 which meant I moved the external CanBus Port to the inside of my Phantom 2. Now I would like to install the Data Link and I need an external Can Bus Port. The regular CanBus cable is to large to get thru the holes near the legs.

Could I unplug the cable from the port on the board labeled "CAM" and make a new y-cable so that I can run half back down the leg and plug it into a new CanBus Port mounted on the leg like the original one?

2 Can Bus Ports - Internal & External

pgesler said:
I installed my OSD Mini inside my Phantom 2 which meant I moved the external CanBus Port to the inside of my Phantom 2. Now I would like to install the Data Link and I need an external Can Bus Port. The regular CanBus cable is to large to get thru the holes near the legs.

Could I unplug the cable from the port on the board labeled "CAM" and make a new y-cable so that I can run half back down the leg and plug it into a new CanBus Port mounted on the leg like the original one?

I thought you could stick the datalink in between the main board and iOSD mini ( ie in serial fashion)?

Everything would be internal in this case, and antennas could come out the leg cable holes or vent ports.

damoncooper said:
I thought you could stick the datalink in between the main board and iOSD mini ( ie in serial fashion)?

Other way around, the iOSD has a side port that lets you install it in the chain between the mainboard and the datalink (or any other canbus device).

I have a feeling DJI would make a fair bit of coin if they sold canbus splitter cables rather than the CANHUB.

Re: 2 Can Bus Ports - Internal & External

OI Photography said:
damoncooper said:

Other way around, the iOSD has a side port that lets you install it in the chain between the mainboard and the datalink (or any other canbus device).

I have a feeling DJI would make a fair bit of coin if they sold canbus splitter cables rather than the CANHUB.

Gotcha. Just about to add a datalink so reading up. Any opinions as to extra heat generated by datalink wrt mounting internally vs externally?

damoncooper said:
OI Photography said:
damoncooper said:

Gotcha. Just about to add a datalink so reading up. Any opinions as to extra heat generated by datalink wrt mounting internally vs externally?

I've only mounted it externally, but the datalink casing is all aluminum so it dissipates heat pretty well...I've never had it feel anything other than cool to the touch when testing on the bench.

Do you have an iOSD mini internally as well? What part did you take to connect things up?

damoncooper said:
Do you have an iOSD mini internally as well? What part did you take to connect things up?

Yeah my iOSD mini is mounted internally, but I have an oddly configured Phantom and I can feed a canbus into the body from outside easily.

If you're asking about the FPV connections, I just used the standard plug n play cable that works with Immersion Tx.

OI Photography said:
damoncooper said:

Yeah my iOSD mini is mounted internally, but I have an oddly configured Phantom and I can feed a canbus into the body from outside easily.

If you're asking about the FPV connections, I just used the standard plug n play cable that works with Immersion Tx.

Thx.

OI Photography said:
damoncooper said:

You say that "you can feed a canbus into the body from outside easily"

Please explain how you can do this?

pgesler said:
OI Photography said:
damoncooper said:

You say that "you can feed a canbus into the body from outside easily"

Please explain how you can do this?

Well, this is particular method I was referring to, but there are others:
opk7Jzwl.jpg

What component arrangement are you trying to achieve?

I have the iOSD Mini installed inside - now I also want an external Can Bus so that I can install the Data Link mounted behind the H3-3D.

riblit said:
pgesler said:
I have the iOSD Mini installed inside - now I also want an external Can Bus so that I can install the Data Link mounted behind the H3-3D.
What's connected to the can bus port on the leg?

Plans were for the DJI Datalink.

But now I figured out how to install the Futaba Receiver next to the battery which allowed me to install the Datalink internally next to the FC.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 399

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl