1st attempt at sunset time lapse

...ok, tried my hand at the time lapse feature last sunday (...or as DJI calls it on the Go app: interval mode) with the p4p - note: to get to the higher rates such as every 2 seconds, it must be set to take only jpgs, no raw capture or it will limit you to ten second intervals which is too few frames to produce more than a couple seconds of footage back at 24 fps in your editor - *interesting aside, my buddy just got his mavic and he can actually get it to take a picture every 1 second, where my mavic will max at 2 seconds, even though the 1 second option is visible, it won't take when I click on it - so strange, but at this point after owning three DJI quads, I just shrug and think, "Just some more o' that good ol' DJI voodoo!" - anyway, the first eight seconds of the sun coming above the fog is compiled from as many jpgs at 2-second intervals as I could grab before the battery started whining at me - also;
(WARNING, RANT LEVEL: ORANGE)
will DJI EVER make a gimbal that knows how to keep a straight horizon? - P4, MP & P4P...ARE ALL REGULARLY OFF BY 1 TO 3 DEGREES, AND A LOT OF THE TIME IT DRIFTS SO IT IS ONLY FIXABLE BY CAREFULLY KEY-FRAMING YOUR TILT IN POST - sorry, but this issue is, like, so way old already, no? - anyway, here be the footage:

...I tried a dusk pullback hyperlapse with my mavic but the watercolor issue just wrecked it (...just hate the video quality of that bird in any kind of lowlight!) - planning on doing it with p4p soon - technique: get to starting point and orientation - turn around 180 degrees and pick a spot to end at and use tap to fly with free gimbal - once drone starts on its way, make sure it is traveling at its slowest speed - turn back around 180 degrees and start interval mode shooting jpgs at 2 second intervals - then just wait til battery dies and bird comes home - get busy in after effects and premiere pro - bob's your uncle!

Reactions: Alex Video Shark
...ok; just had a thought for doing an aerial hyperlapse longer than the standard 8-10 seconds you get with the roughly twenty minute flight time available with most DJI quads:

...how about using two quads and daisy-chain their waypoints; bird 1 goes from waypoint A to waypoint B - bird 2 is waiting at waypoint B (...but maybe 15-20 feet higher to avoid collision) - as bird 1 takes last shot at waypoint B, you trigger the mission for bird 2 to fly from waypoint B to waypoint C - while bird 2 is flying its 20-25 minute mission, you swap batteries on bird 1 and have it up in the air and standing by at waypoint C, ready to keep the hyperlapse daisychain going ad infinitum (...in sparsely populated areas, you could even have someone drive you under the flight path from waypoint to waypoint to do REALLY long multi-mile ones!)

...does this sound like a plan to anyone?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl