1st attempt at sunset time lapse

Ha ha yes it is mate. Click play and let me know what you think :)

So why do you call it "time lapse"?

EDIT: I watched it again, it seems to play faster than normal speed, so maybe this is why you consider it a time-lapse (even if it was shot as a standard video and not as a time-lapse sequence of photos).

Last edited:
I actually never played with the time-lapse feature of the P3S... does it create a sequence of photos to be assembled with 3rd-party software, or does it automatically combine the stills into a video?

I actually never played with the time-lapse feature of the P3S... does it create a sequence of photos to be assembled with 3rd-party software, or does it automatically combine the stills into a video?

Maybe my terminology is not correct.

I called it a time lapse because the video you are watching is 1.06 seconds but in reality it was shot over 15 minutes.

:)

I called it a time lapse because the video you are watching is 1.06 seconds but in reality it was shot over 15 minutes.

Well you've piqued my curiosity.
What you have described sounds like a time lapse.
I've not seen the ability to do that in Go. Or did you just speed it up in a video editor?

I've not seen the ability to do that in Go. Or did you just speed it up in a video editor?

It was made with final cut pro x :)

Yeah, I figured that. Time-lapse is a photography technique, where you take photos at predefined intervals (from a few seconds to a day), typically on a tripod, and then assemble them so they become frames of a video that plays at very high speed. Say you take a photo every 10 seconds for 10 hours, you end up with 3600 photos: if you assemble them into a 30fps video, you have exactly 2 minutes of footage. My old GoPro was working exactly this way, dumping hundreds of JPGs on the SD card, which you would then combine into a video with the GoPro Studio software. My new GoPro has the option to take a "video" time-lapse, where the work of assembling the photos is done in-camera, so you end up with a single video file, that requires no additional work.

You might wonder... isn't this the same as taking a video and re-encode it at a much higher speed, just like you did? Not quite. First of all, you have the practical problem of storing and handling some massive video files... even at a relatively low bit-rate of 40Mbps (our P3S), 10 hours would translate to something like 180GB. Try loading that into a video editor on your PC, and see how it goes! :(
Second, when you shoot a video, your exposure time is limited by the frame rate, so for example at 30fps your camera has no more than 1/30s to record a frame. With a time-lapse, the limit is the interval you set, which means that in low-light situations you can keep your ISO low, increase the shutter speed and get MUCH nicer results. On a bright day it might not be too much of an issue, but I still believe - without factual evidence - that a single shot saved in JPG or RAW has more detail than a video frame. One day I'll do a test with the P3S...

Reactions: Dazzauk

P3S can shoot time-lapse photos. I never used it, so I cannot comment on it, but the feature is there.

You plonker rodney, thats not a timelapse :D where did you shoot it? locally?

You plonker rodney, thats not a timelapse :D where did you shoot it? locally?

thanks Dave.

It was shot over brockenhurst way. :)

It kind of is a time lapse though isn't it because it's 15 mins squeezed into 1.5mins

Yes sir :).

You local?
Yeah. I live in Shirley. Brockenhurst looks great. I've been doing a few flights in the forest with my P3P, some great views around but need some ideas. Do you have any good locations you can recommend for flying?

Yeah. I live in Shirley. Brockenhurst looks great. I've been doing a few flights in the forest with my P3P, some great views around but need some ideas. Do you have any good locations you can recommend for flying?

Brockenhurst and boltons bench are good, youve got lepe and calshot, water makes for some nice shots :)

How about you? where have you been flying?

We should meet up for a fly lol

Everytime i have been to lepe its been too windy! I had a great flight next to a windy road near beaulie. There are also some nice areas off the road to fordingbridge. Had a great one flying over a valley at Trafalgar hill with the sun reflecting off the pools of water. It would be good to meet up for a fly with a fellow Phantom pilot. None of my mates share my obsession with quadcopters!

Reactions: Dazzauk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik