107 Certification Question

Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast the other day and they said there are so many benefits to getting the 107 certification and listed one of them as not having to call towers for permission to fly. Is this really the case? I can't find that anywhere and see no benefit other than being able to get paid for you work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you get your remote pilot certification there is not a blanket 5 mile radius from the airport rule. If you have your part 107 certification you can just check and see what the airspace is. You can fly in class G airspace without having to call anybody and you can request a permanent (up to 4 years) waiver for other airspace authorizations. Also you can request a temporary airspace authorization online. Rumor has it that there will be major changes to the airspace authorization process making it nearly instant.

I would challenge you to start studying for the 107 test, even if you don't end up taking it you will learn a lot.

Reactions: Falcon900
If you get your remote pilot certification there is not a blanket 5 mile radius from the airport rule. If you have your part 107 certification you can just check and see what the airspace is. You can fly in class G airspace without having to call anybody and you can request a permanent (up to 4 years) waiver for other airspace authorizations. Also you can request a temporary airspace authorization online. Rumor has it that there will be major changes to the airspace authorization process making it nearly instant.

I would challenge you to start studying for the 107 test, even if you don't end up taking it you will learn a lot.

Thank you. That does explain a lot. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

but you pay on the other end. watched a video of a man with 107, and he has to register each drone.

False. A pilot with 107 must receive ATC authorization to fly in controlled air space. Anyone (107 or not) can fly in class G airspace without authorization. I highly doubt there are waivers that last as long as four years.
Where are you getting your info from? I suggest you check facts before passing on info.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

False. A pilot with 107 must receive ATC authorization to fly in controlled air space. Anyone (107 or not) can fly in class G airspace without authorization. I highly doubt there are waivers that last as long as four years.
Where are you getting your info from? I suggest you check facts before passing on info.

Not false, you sir should go ahead and do your own research.
1. A 107 certified Remote Pilot may receive a waiver which may or may not require them to get ATC authorization to fly depending on the limitations of said waiver
2. Anyone may not fly in class G airspace without providing prior notice
, you are wrong here as well. Section 335 (a) (5) says
"(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of
the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air
traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model
aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5
miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon
operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is
located at the airport))."
So if the class G airspace is withing a radius of 5 miles from the airport you MUST provide prior notice of the operation. This is what the OP was asking about.
3. Yes it is possible to get a waiver for up to 4 years, here is the link to the Waiver/Airspace Authorization Instructions. Also here is a screenshot of page 3 of those instructions in case you are too lazy to look for yourself:

Airspace Waiver Authorization Instructions Page 3 Screenshot.jpg

Reactions: ShivarenoP3
Not false, you sir should go ahead and do your own research.
1. A 107 certified Remote Pilot may receive a waiver which may or may not require them to get ATC authorization to fly depending on the limitations of said waiver
2. Anyone may not fly in class G airspace without providing prior notice
, you are wrong here as well. Section 335 (a) (5) says
"(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of
the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air
traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model
aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5
miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon
operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is
located at the airport))."
So if the class G airspace is withing a radius of 5 miles from the airport you MUST provide prior notice of the operation. This is what the OP was asking about.
3. Yes it is possible to get a waiver for up to 4 years, here is the link to the Waiver/Airspace Authorization Instructions. Also here is a screenshot of page 3 of those instructions in case you are too lazy to look for yourself:

View attachment 74291

Research done, license acquired and obviously read more than you have.
6cb2e5479f7019de31bac0243d79d04f.jpg

Here's some reading for you if YOU'RE not too lazy.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

By definition class G is uncontrolled airspace and cannot be within controlled airspace. It may be beneath it but not within it.
You still must contact ATC every time you fly even if you obtain a waiver.

Yes class g airspace can be within 5 miles of an airport. The 5 mile radius rule applies to hobby fliers regardless of if it is class g airspace or not. I have my license too, you may need to brush up on your facts. Did you even read page 3 that I linked? Why didn't you acknowledge that you were wrong about the 4 year Waiver possibility?
c232b1b772e1e35dec816756c9fdc92d.jpg

We can argue all night. You believe you're right, I know I am. Not willing to waste time on it. As far as the four year waiver I said "I highly doubt it" didn't say it was false.

but you pay on the other end. watched a video of a man with 107, and he has to register each drone.

Part 107 or no Part 107, every drone more than .55lbs and less that 55lbs must have the registration of the owner posted somewhere on the drone, that does not require tools to view. But no one that has a drone that falls between the weight parameters above, are required to have a unique registration for every drone.

We can argue all night. You believe you're right, I know I am. Not willing to waste time on it. As far as the four year waiver I said "I highly doubt it" didn't say it was false.

I think doing a little research and reading the information I have posted is not a waste of time since you will realize you are wrong. Don't accuse someone of spreading misinformation until you are absolutely certain that they are. It is people like you that confuse the community and cause people to shy away from the hobby/profession.

Part 107 or no Part 107, every drone more than .55lbs and less that 55lbs must have the registration of the owner posted somewhere on the drone, that does not require tools to view. But no one that has a drone that falls between the weight parameters above, are required to have a unique registration for every drone.

If you are a hobby flyer you can put your same registration number on all of your drones. If you are a 107 Certified remote pilot you must register each SUAS

Last edited:
Reactions: Timtro
Could an equally qualified 3rd person chime in here so that can get this straightened out...as I would really like to know the correct answers to these.

Reactions: AerialEye
Could an equally qualified 3rd person chime in here so that can get this straightened out...as I would really like to know the correct answers to these.

Here's what's up. The way sinisalo worded his first post on this thread sounded to me as follows: (there is no blanket 5 mile rule for 107 pilots. You can just look it up and see what the airspace is) I took this as him saying 107 pilots don't have to follow the 5 mile radius rule for airports, just look up the airspace and fly.

Then (if you have a 107 license you can fly in class G airspace) I took this as him saying you need to have a 107 to fly in class G airspace.

What he meant to convey is this: there are class G airspaces within 5mile radius of some airports which lie under B,C,D or E airspace. If you hold a 107 you are allowed to fly in said class G airspace without contacting ATC.

A miss understanding over a poorly worded paragraph.

As far as the 4 year wavers, yes you can obtain a waiver for a period of 4 years.

watched a video of a man with 107, and he has to register each drone.

You nailed it. If a Part 107 operator has three birds, it'll cost him 3 x $5 = $15. And if he buys a 757 to fly his family around, the registration is going to cost him another $5.

SB

Reactions: OkiePhlyer
You nailed it. If a Part 107 operator has three birds, it'll cost him 3 x $5 = $15. And if he buys a 757 to fly his family around, the registration is going to cost him another $5.

SB
That's exactly what it cost me.call 3 of my phantoms have "N" numbers which each cost $5. These are the birds that I use for my business flying. Both of my Symas have the same number, my hobby registration number which cost me a one time $5. Those are the ones that I fly with my grandson.

Here's what's up. The way sinisalo worded his first post on this thread sounded to me as follows: (there is no blanket 5 mile rule for 107 pilots. You can just look it up and see what the airspace is) I took this as him saying 107 pilots don't have to follow the 5 mile radius rule for airports, just look up the airspace and fly.

Then (if you have a 107 license you can fly in class G airspace) I took this as him saying you need to have a 107 to fly in class G airspace.

What he meant to convey is this: there are class G airspaces within 5mile radius of some airports which lie under B,C,D or E airspace. If you hold a 107 you are allowed to fly in said class G airspace without contacting ATC.

A miss understanding over a poorly worded paragraph.

As far as the 4 year wavers, yes you can obtain a waiver for a period of 4 years.

That's the problem in today's society... People are quick to voice their opinions before listening to a complete thought. Had you read post in its entirety, you would have understood his original post and knew from the beginning what he meant..

Just to add, the FAA has an online function to apply for clearance inside some restricted zones at the FAA Waiver Request section of the web site. Operators with a 333 exemption can still contact the airport manager and ATC, but not under §107.

The real problem is the 90 day processing period, which is not practical for normal commercial activities where customers say "I need it this week". That means filing for a spring flight in the winter when the weather channel can't get it right two weeks out.

One good thing, VERIFLY is working on a solution to get insurance coverage in restricted areas where authorized. I'm working with them on a BETA version of the mobile app now.

Note: The "responsible person" filing for the waiver is not required to hold a remote pilot certification, but a certified remote pilot must be the PIC for the operation. More FAA info here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl