Reusing Phantom 3 batteries

Reaction score
I want to use Phantom 3 batteries in my own project. I see on Phantom there are two lugs (+/-) and there are four smaller spring loaded pins to touch the flat contacts on the battery (some kind of monitoring?). Would I be able to use the battery without connecting the small pins, just the +/- lugs, like a normal 4S LiPo ?

Thanks.

Reactions: RodPad
Lost on the 4S LiPo question.

You made me look. I didn't know the four pins were springs that only make two contacts on the battery itself.
Since you can charge the batts via the two wire charger?
We all know you can power the battery without it being inserted.

I guess I would put a VOM on it that RMS and see what it reads, Then start testing the current draw.

Hopefully another member has better knowledge than me.

Rod ..

I want to use Phantom 3 batteries in my own project. I see on Phantom there are two lugs (+/-) and there are four smaller spring loaded pins to touch the flat contacts on the battery (some kind of monitoring?). Would I be able to use the battery without connecting the small pins, just the +/- lugs, like a normal 4S LiPo ?

Thanks.
The four smaller wires are most likely for monitoring each battery's voltage during charging in order to provide "balanced charging of each individual battery". They can be probably be ignored during your own project's use of the Phantom battery as a power source. Virtually all of today's multicell LiPo batteries have these smaller wires in their own connector to take advantage of LiPo chargers that can perform balanced cell charging. The number of these smaller wires is typically = number of cells + 1.

Reactions: TACdrop and RodPad
The four smaller wires are most likely for monitoring each battery's voltage during charging in order to provide "balanced charging of each individual battery". They can be probably be ignored during your own project's use of the Phantom battery as a power source. Virtually all of today's multicell LiPo batteries have these smaller wires in their own connector to take advantage of LiPo chargers that can perform balanced cell charging. The number of these smaller wires is typically = number of cells + 1.

I'm missing something, the charge cable only has two terminals?

Rod ..

I'm missing something, the charge cable only has two terminals?

Rod ..
My bad (I should have looked at my P3P).
Indeed, the charging cable connector only has two robust flat prongs that insert into the battery.

What threw me was the mention of 4 pins in the P3's battery compartment. So I looked at my P3P and its battery. Next to the battery's charging pins are two, wide PCB traces that extend out from one side of the battery charging pin housing. My battery was at half-charge and the measured voltage across the two PCB traces was about .8VDC. It is these PCB traces that the 4 spring-loaded pins make contact, 2 pins per PCB trace.

I've no idea their purpose. But my bet is that the charging ports directly connect to the prop motor drive circuits and the 4 pins directly connect to the computer electronics.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Well I think those are the part of the communication that also effects the RTH etc stuff.

Running Litchi missions, one of those SRTH? Setting got turned on.
Anyways, It overrode Litchi because of head wind, sure with averaging 20 mph to the location. I turned around before it got there, used 10% battery to get back.

BTW, I gut stuck on the details. :rolleyes:

Rod ..

Thanks.
I use old P4P batteries to run my mobile network. They'll run my wireless router for about 30 hours. I love having the LED capacity lights. Perfect for field operations. Each dot on the battery represents 10 flights. Needless to say, this battery was retired.

DSC08199.JPG

DSC08201.JPG

I made this well over a year ago. I don't remember the pinout. I purchased the adapter cable from a company that is now defunct.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palletliquidation