You need a permit to operate the Phantom in Canada!

If that is your intent you will need the Phantom to have at least 100,000$ liability coverage for commercial use.

In canada for personal use your home insurance covers it, including theft, loss or damage, before, during and after flight.
So if it jumps in a lake it is covered, which is good when you have a gimbal and gopro attached. The amount lost can be hard to swallow.

This information has been verified and acknowledged by my insurance company on three seperate occasions.
Desjardins insurance if you wish to know.

ericdes said:
If that is your intent you will need the Phantom to have at least 100,000$ liability coverage for commercial use.

In canada for personal use your home insurance covers it, including theft, loss or damage, before, during and after flight.
So if it jumps in a lake it is covered, which is good when you have a gimbal and gopro attached. The amount lost can be hard to swallow.

This information has been verified and acknowledged by my insurance company on three seperate occasions.
Desjardins insurance if you wish to know.

That's a conversation I'll have with my insurance provider, Co-operators. I already have 2M liability for my tree moving business so I'm hoping to incorporate it in there, same type of work site, more or less :)

Thanks for verifying about insurance needs but are you sure about he home ins. covering an off property crash (ie lake)? seems like a hard one to believe, really good if that's true and used for recreational purposes.

mcmax20 said:
peterlindsay said:
mcmax20 said:
Because that's still technically not legal. The P2 is still being used for commercial purposes and so requires a SFOC in Canada. If its just a bit of extra paperwork to do yearly I don't mind. I'd rather be able to offer an aerial service and charge for it rather than always looking for a workaround, this may open up other doors too!

My understanding in speaking with TC was that if you are not accepting money for the video then it is outside the "commercial" statement. But if you are doing it as a service as part of your business or under the business name then yes you are probably quite correct. My understanding that it is just not a little bit of paper work especially at the start with each commercial flying instance needing an application until some point they may give you a blanket coverage for a certain period of time. Best of luck and look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Has anyone received their SFOC? If so how did you prove all of the things they ask for as part of the application process, such as proving your ability to operate your UAV (phantom)?

This whole thing is crazy..... what are people actually doing out there cause I'm guessing no one is actually applying for these things 20 days before they want to add a little aerial footage to their video job?

GBP Creative said:
This whole thing is crazy..... what are people actually doing out there cause I'm guessing no one is actually applying for these things 20 days before they want to add a little aerial footage to their video job?

20 days? Very optimistic!

I'm over 2 months now and still waiting...

ShotBy.CA said:
GBP Creative said:

20 days? Very optimistic!

I'm over 2 months now and still waiting...

What region are you in, as I have heard it depends on how busy the office is????

Hi FrankB and ShotBy.CA,

I'm looking to purchase a maxed out Phantom 2 set-up with zenmuse gimbal, FPV, etc for commercial use here in Northern Ontario. I've looked at the FCC documents and requirements. I would be using the system primarily for filming client locations which are usually private areas covering large spaces (golf course, mining site) were there would be minimum chance for risk concerning humans being in proximity.

FrankB I understand your remote area situation is why you have been successful is receiving a blanket FCC green card for 1 year at a time. Because I am new here I do not as of yet have PM privileges. I would appreciate if you both might email me so I can learn any tricks or prerequisites that will ensure I am successful with my first FCC submission ([email protected]). Thanks in advance guys!

Regards,

- John

I'm in the exact same boat as John J. Want to get a little business off the ground and am looking into applying for my first sfoc. Need insurance first and curious as to what that may cost me? Or any help would be much appreciated related to getting my business going. Even about registering it or making a website etc. pretty excited about it but nervous too. Ps- I don't have the ability to DM yet either as I am fairly new here.

Thanks!

John J. said:
Hi FrankB and ShotBy.CA,

I'm looking to purchase a maxed out Phantom 2 set-up with zenmuse gimbal, FPV, etc for commercial use here in Northern Ontario. I've looked at the FCC documents and requirements. I would be using the system primarily for filming client locations which are usually private areas covering large spaces (golf course, mining site) were there would be minimum chance for risk concerning humans being in proximity.

FrankB I understand your remote area situation is why you have been successful is receiving a blanket FCC green card for 1 year at a time. Because I am new here I do not as of yet have PM privileges. I would appreciate if you both might email me so I can learn any tricks or prerequisites that will ensure I am successful with my first FCC submission ([email protected]). Thanks in advance guys!

Regards,

- John

I call BS .. my buddy is helicopter pilot .. we have disgusted this to ne end not only is there no current laws pertaining to our phantoms but the powers that be said they do not want to go there anyway.. I live on west coast of Canada have not seen in print anywhere that these are illegal in anyway or need to be registered as I heard other say..

colonelangus said:
I call BS .. my buddy is helicopter pilot .. we have disgusted this to ne end not only is there no current laws pertaining to our phantoms but the powers that be said they do not want to go there anyway.. I live on west coast of Canada have not seen in print anywhere that these are illegal in anyway or need to be registered as I heard other say..

I think the law is pretty clear... If you're not flying it for commercial purposes, you fall under Model Aircraft and are permitted to fly your Phantom just fine... Your city may have bylaws however for model aircraft in public parks, so, you may want to look into that...

When you applied for the SFOC did they scrutinize the equipment thoroughly in advance? If you change up your equipment, switch cameras, upgrade motors or frame do you have to reapply or exhibit mastery of the new setup?

Are they ok with RTF's like Phantoms & Iris or custom built modular rigs?

Thanks

Hi Cicada,

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I had a very busy summer flying and riding my motorcycle :)

Anyway yes you need to go into great detail about your equipment, and each major change will require you to reapply.

They are definitely ok with RTF systems such as the Phantom.

Does anyone know how to get cheap liability insurance that would satisfy the regulations?

New regulations just published grant an exemption even for commercial use for UAV under 2kg. So no permit is required anymore. However liability insurance is still required. I'm considering doing a very rare video with my quad: my business is web design, occasionally I do photo and video for my clients, usually related to web projects. It would be nice to offer quad aerial video in addition to normal. The problem is that it would only happen very rarely. I couldn't find any insurance cost information. I heard one number, about $2500 / year. It's OK for a full-time business maybe, but doesn't work if you only do this once in a long while. I was wondering, maybe there is an insurance that can work for one day, or a week? Same kind as you would have when organizing an event etc.

I would appreciate any advice.

Did anyone manage to find any insurance at all? How expensive was it and who can provide it?

Thanks.

romandesign said:
Does anyone know how to get cheap liability insurance that would satisfy the regulations?

New regulations just published grant an exemption even for commercial use for UAV under 2kg. So no permit is required anymore. However liability insurance is still required. I'm considering doing a very rare video with my quad: my business is web design, occasionally I do photo and video for my clients, usually related to web projects. It would be nice to offer quad aerial video in addition to normal. The problem is that it would only happen very rarely. I couldn't find any insurance cost information. I heard one number, about $2500 / year. It's OK for a full-time business maybe, but doesn't work if you only do this once in a long while. I was wondering, maybe there is an insurance that can work for one day, or a week? Same kind as you would have when organizing an event etc.

I would appreciate any advice.

Did anyone manage to find any insurance at all? How expensive was it and who can provide it?

Thanks.

Pm'd you the guy I have used.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z