Wrong/inaccurate NFZ - cannot take off - what to do?

Double check the unlocking list in the Go app and make sure it's turned off. This just happened to me recently after a firmware update. I was already unlocked for a specific NFZ so whenever I fly there, I have to go turn it on. But per DJI (and they were correct), if you are flying in a non-NFZ you need to turn off the unlocking list or it will think you are in a NFZ even if you're not..

I have never used it. I will check this the next time this happens.

Interestingly - I went back to this location tonight, 2 am, took off and flew no problem, same place, nothing changed,

DJI has a consistency problem here of some nature.

I wonder if there is a server being contacted in real time and it's timing out so defaulting to last NFZ in effect, or something similar.

Interestingly - I went back to this location tonight, 2 am, took off and flew no problem, same place, nothing changed,

I wonder if there is a server being contacted in real time and it's timing out so defaulting to last NFZ in effect, or something similar.

Yes sucks. I have had TFR pass / expire (Im in NJ, around 30miles from where Trump stays in Bedminster). And the next day I still couldnt fly My Inspire 2. But my other Inspire 2 would take off. I dont think it ever recieved TFR. If you have a job coming up, never connect you drone to the internet.

How are you flying at 2am? Do you have a waiver to fly at night? If not, I would not want to be publicizing illegal flights on this popular site. #FAAtrolls

Call the police! Someone is playing with their toys at night!
You don't have to call them. They are already here (looking on websites like this for violations). I was not being a snitch. I was honestly saying to a fellow operator, you might want to rethink publicly announcing that you are breaking the rules.

And introducing a new concept. He stated in the original post that there was no visible NFZ but he could not take off. Since the new firmware restricts flights for NFZ and max height, can they also ground a drone between the hours of dusk to dawn, in violation of rules in the US region?

Latest firmware and DJI go 4 iOS app, flat take off location. No compass or IMU issues. Reminder: I had JUST taken off from this area 4 hours ago, nothing changed in those 4 hours in my end.

This goes back to a post I made a year ago. NO aircraft manufacturer, ANY aircraft, should ever EVER Hard lock the pilot out of full control of his craft.
Name me any helicopter or airplane in the world that could be stuck sitting at the terminal at the airport because it was in a NFZ. Tell me of any aircraft that while it was flying would suddenly just land, NO MATTER WHAT IS BELOW because it crossed an invisible NFZ line on the ground.

Consider: anyone can fly aircraft of any kind anywhere in the world: at night, over people, over nuke plants, over the White House, buzz Area 51, land at the kremlin. Not one aircraft on the world would take control away from the pilot and force an auto landing, or percent the craft from doing those things or worse. But herr comes DJI, the world police, and take control of YOUR aircraft away from you at its whim (and I've just demonstrated that they can be wrong) and you can't do a damned thing about it. This is outright BS and this is a class action lawsuit in the works.
In my opinion, the main difference between drones and aircraft is that anyone can buy a drone without any training or licence and potentially kill life and cause serious damage.
I believe that it would be good to bring in licensing and tests for all drones (now and for the sky filled future) to sort the responsible from the irresponsible. I believe the majority of responsible pilots on this forum would be happy to demonstrate their skills and differentiate themselves from the inexperienced. Then with certificates the area restrictions can be authorised to be lifted to avoid professionals losing jobs and income. It should cost a small amount for the licence like yacht licensing in U.K. and would also give another vocation opportunity for experienced pilots to be trainers to pass on their wealth of experience for a market driven reasonable fee.
I think the more anti-publicity of drones and more accidents that are bound to happen, it will be inevitable anyway.
Now I shall duck awaiting the incoming fire

Maybe the issue is in google maps?
If it's showing a stadium, national park or what ever it may more then likely the GO app is looking at it.
The app programmed to look google maps which shows everything by point of interest.

Check the dates on your SD card pictures/videos, I noticed mine were wrong after the update, maybe at that *wrong* time there was a nfz?

In your original post, you state you lost an $800.00 job due to this issue. Is being paid to fly at night now considered being a hobbyist? Just asking for clarification, NOT to start any arguments.

+1
Details, details.

In your original post, you state you lost an $800.00 job due to this issue. Is being paid to fly at night now considered being a hobbyist? Just asking for clarification, NOT to start any arguments.

Original job that I was to be paid for was pre-dusk.

Then, as stated, I went back late at night just to see if things changed. So, at THAT time it was back to hobbyist mode, paid job was already lost earlier during the day.

I'll tell you exactly how to solve the problem. If you still have the box, pack everything up, ship it back to DJI and buy a different brand. This fix works every-single-time! After $5000 with DJI I've learned an expensive lesson - the frustration isn't worth the product when plenty of good alternatives exist.

I was flying a pre-hurricane mission with a state agency last week. Had confirmed that we were just outside the airport zone. Went to fly, and the DJI app restricted flight to 50 meters downrange and 30 meters altitude. I tried (unsuccessfully) to unlock the zone online, and was getting frustrated, with the client standing next to me.

So I shut off the DJI app, and fired up Litchi. Flew the mission without any issues. Problem solved. After the job, I was able to unlock the zones for the next day's missions. But I flew it using Litchi anyway.

Last edited:
I was flying a pre-hurricane mission with a state agency last week. Had confirmed that we were just outside the airport zone. Went to fly, and the DJI app restricted flight to 50 meters downrange and 30 meters altitude. I tried (unsuccessfully) to unlock the zone online, and was getting frustrated, with the client standing next to me.

So I shut off the DJI app, and fired up Litchi. Flew the mission without any issues. Problem solved. After the job, I was able to unlock the zones for the next day's missions. But I flew it using Litchi anyway.
If you're getting paid to fly, check out the new Yuneec 520. MUCH better craft for commercial use. No NFZ worries. 6 rotor safe as well. Interchangeable cams too!

If you're getting paid to fly, check out the new Yuneec 520. MUCH better craft for commercial use. No NFZ worries. 6 rotor safe as well. Interchangeable cams too!

Although also 2x the cost and w/ 1/4 the control range.... :-\

Otherwise, it does look quite interesting though.

In my experience, control range has been about 1.25 miles with DJI or Yuneec depending on humidity and temp. I have flown the Typhoon H as far as about 2 miles on a cold dry day. Not many of us live in the desert or ocean where optimal conditions exist. I think DJI has taken a little liberty with advertised range - unless you read the small print. Yup, it's much more expensive. I suggested if it was a tool making money the difference in investment could be the loss of one DJI job due to NFZ issues. But really we're comparing Yuneec's commercial bird to DJI's consumer model. Compared to DJI's commercial models the price and functionality is comparable. Yes, I'll give you DJI has some fun modes but I only find myself using follow-me, POI, tripod and waypoints. Yuneec has finally made a SDK available so I expect the 520 to take off quite well - no pun intended! Finally, I've owned an H for a year now. (Also have the P4, P4P+, Mav and a few racers) I've done one, exactly one firmware update to the H. How many has DJI released in the same time? Heck, I don't know but it's many. I just want to use my equipment, not fret over it every week or two. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart