Would you fly in a drought-stricken area during a "burn ban"?

Pretty rare but it does happen .

OK, now we have a study. Yes, it happens, One of these reports states that it is unknown what drone it was, yet they show a picture of a Phantom. The other piece states that not all drones run on batteries. So, what do they run on, gasoline? Journalists are a funny lot. We do agree on one point, "Pretty rare but it does happen".

That was my big worry when I couldn't retrieve my P4 in a canyon. I know the battery is totally to the point now, that it has been "neutralized." I checked some old P3 batteries to see if I could get them to ignite. I drove a nail through them and they were just powder.

if same happen with a drone there will be always the drone pilot who is the 'bad guy'.
This thread is full of indications of people who confuse a hazard with risk.
Yes .. Lithium batteries have caused fires, lots of fires in grass, in planes and in houses.
A quick google search will show that many house fires have been caused by lithium batteries.
i-8qD9QDm-X2.jpg

But while a drone flight could result in a wildfire, the likelihood of that happening is infinitesimally small.
Of the millions of flights carried out by members of this forum and sister forums, none have ever been reported.
I wonder if those that suggest it's not worth taking the chance keep their laptops, mobile phones and power tools in fireproof enclosures outdoors?
Where do they keep their drone batteries?
Do they have gas stoves indoors or store a car full of gasoline in the garage?
All of those things could cause a housefire, but given proper safety controls and the extremely small chance of such an event, they usually don't.
Just like flying your drone usually doesn't cause wildfires .. even crashing drones usually doesn't.

I have been a wild land fire fighter for 35 years, living in a high fire danger area of North Central Washington state.

Even though I keep a district fire truck in my yard, I have not flow for months due to the dryness. I have been a part 107 pilot for three years and have had a P4P crash and battery catch fire. I would hate to have to explain to my neighbors why they lost there homes because of my drone. However I will still fly for our counties S&R mission.

Reactions: The Springs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart