Would you buy a drone made by GoPro?

I wonder if they will incorporate remote camera control into this new product. I know my son, the photographer, would like to be able to control his GoPro remotely like I can with my P2V+.

UrAwFuL said:
I just hope it's not overpriced. :lol:

Oh I kinda think it's going to be a bit on the costly side. And probably have 73 different models that are almost all exactly the same.

Oh wait... that's what we have now. :)

Would you buy a camera made from DJI?

I was disappointed in the vision plus 1080p video quality. 720p@60fps is nice but doesn't cut the cheese at todays standard.

In saying that, I've seen the inspire footage on youtube but cannot compare as youtube compresses and i don't have a 4k display.

It was said today the cost would be between $500-$1000

I would, although wouldn't be first in line. At least you wouldn't be locked in to a mediocre camera that breaks easily and isn't repairable. A GoPro drone wouldn't be cheap, but I'll bet it would be far more cost-effective than a DJI.

Frankly, I think GoPro would be crazy to bring out a drone in this muddled regulatory environment.

Yes. And there is nothing muddled if you are flying for fun and not for profit.

Kind of hard to believe that for $500-$1000 they are going to be able to put out a high quality product. The camera and gimbal alone cost $500-$1000 in some cases. I hope they are successful, I like their products.

Jstic said:
Kind of hard to believe that for $500-$1000 they are going to be able to put out a high quality product. The camera and gimbal alone cost $500-$1000 in some cases. I hope they are successful, I like their products.

I'd bet you buy the drone and then have to put whatever flavor of gopro you want on it. I picked up a P2 with zenmuse and using my GP4 black and the video is amazing. Dont have FPV yet but will come soon.

The more competition, the better it will get for us.
I say bring it on. Show us what you can make. If it's better and cheaper I will buy it. And I will not be the only one...

I believe their price range quoted was for a drone without the camera. There is no way they can sell a drone with a gopro at $500, even a gopro 3.
So just a drone priced between $500 and $1000 is doable.
At the higher price, they can even make a better drone than the phantom2. And at this price, with a removable camera that can be used for other action footage, they can have a winner. Biggest question is: what quality will their drones be.

Here is another thought: given the current assets that gopro has, I would not be surprised if they buy a company that makes drones to speed up the process.

Months away on the requirement for a license for commercial use but as I read it "ametuer" or recreational use is not the issue

I agree with you that it is likely that the FAA will leave hobbyist use alone for the time being, but it is clear that the entire drone concept, commercial and hobbyist, is getting a lot of attention and a lot of it is unflattering. It is a new and unsettled area of endeavor. It's not like the old days where the whole "drone" concept revolved around a bunch of geeky R/C pilots (I've been one for 40 years) getting together on a Sunday afternoon at their remote flying field. That was easy for the public to ignore. Now, you can take your drone off from your porch and spy on your neighbor sunbathing, chase their dog, or crash into their kid. Drone flyers have no standard-bearer organization. The only one that comes close to being our lobbying mouthpiece is the AMA, and they don't quite get it either (their requirement for a spotter for FPV, and major photography restrictions, for example). We're kind of on our own, no one to carry the sUAS banner at the lobbyist level, and likely only a few "incidents" away from really getting the attention of the FAA and causing them to have to shift their attention from just protecting the livelihood of commercial aerial photography pilots to addressing the perceived concerns (aided by the sensationalist media, who is not our friend) about the safety of the public and their protection from privacy intrusion. You know that there are many drone and other FPV pilots that will continue to bust the FAA Advisory Circular rules and ignore the AMA's safety code and recommendations in AMA Document 550.

If I was the CEO of GoPro getting ready to commit my company to a very expensive expansion of my business model, I'd be really thinking hard about those issues.

MacCool said:
I agree with you that it is likely that the FAA will leave hobbyist use alone for the time being, but it is clear that the entire drone concept, commercial and hobbyist, is getting a lot of attention and a lot of it is unflattering. It is a new and unsettled area of endeavor. It's not like the old days where the whole "drone" concept revolved around a bunch of geeky R/C pilots (I've been one for 40 years) getting together on a Sunday afternoon at their remote flying field. That was easy for the public to ignore. Now, you can take your drone off from your porch and spy on your neighbor sunbathing, chase their dog, or crash into their kid. Drone flyers have no standard-bearer organization. The only one that comes close to being our lobbying mouthpiece is the AMA, and they don't quite get it either (their requirement for a spotter for FPV, and major photography restrictions, for example). We're kind of on our own, no one to carry the sUAS banner at the lobbyist level, and likely only a few "incidents" away from really getting the attention of the FAA and causing them to have to shift their attention from just protecting the livelihood of commercial aerial photography pilots to addressing the perceived concerns (aided by the sensationalist media, who is not our friend) about the safety of the public and their protection from privacy intrusion. You know that there are many drone and other FPV pilots that will continue to bust the FAA Advisory Circular rules and ignore the AMA's safety code and recommendations in AMA Document 550.

If I was the CEO of GoPro getting ready to commit my company to a very expensive expansion of my business model, I'd be really thinking hard about those issues.

Yes I would buy a GoPro drone. GoPros are sold outside the US, where there are other regulations so there is a market for such a drone. The spotter rule has been the standard in other contries for years, no big deal. No, you can not fly your drone anywhere you like, we have to adapt to this. It is not a freedom thing, it is a safety thing. Introduce a test and licensing for flying drones where safety might be an issue may be the way to go...

MacCool said:
commercial and hobbyist, is getting a lot of attention and a lot of it is unflattering

Just like the first cell phone with a camera on it caused a panic. "Privacy! Think of the children!!". But now? So long as you don't whip it out in the men's room and start flashing pics you are probably OK.

Or Google Glass. When I first got one last November the reaction was: "OMG! He's got a camera near his eye! He's stealing my soul!!! Witch witch!! Burn him with fire!!" But now a year later Glass is old news and nobody cares (I still love mine though).

Drones will be old news in a year or so and people will be a lot more relaxed about them.

Jstic said:

CBS Morning News is where those numbers were told today.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl