Won't fly straight and camera films/take pics with falling h

Reaction score
Hi fellow pilots.

Thanks for looking.

1) I've had my remote calibrated both in the phantom assistant as well as the RC assistant on my PC. Still when I push forward on the right stick the phantom fly at a 45deg left angle.

2) see pic. I get horizontal bars.
uty8yhu7.jpg

Any ideas for fixes would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Won't fly straight and camera films/take pics with falli

#! - R u in Phantom or NAZA mode?

#2 - The lines across the picture are from the props and sunlight. Turn away from the sun and they will go away.

For the picture, try a different memory stick. Could be sunlight, but that distortion looks very uniform so it may be a bad camera. Turn away from the sun. Does it still do it?

On the control issue. You have calibrated and moved the sticks through their full range of motion? Is your compass calibrated? Are you in NAZA mode or Vision mode? If in NAZA mode, are your S1/S2 switches both up? In the Assistant, when you flip S1/S2 on the calibration or IOC pages, are you seeing the Assistant display change indicating the switches are functioning properly? This could also possibly be a bad motor or ESC.

ocphantom said:
Hi fellow pilots.

Thanks for looking.

1) I've had my remote calibrated both in the phantom assistant as well as the RC assistant on my PC. Still when I push forward on the right stick the phantom fly at a 45deg left angle.

uty8yhu7.jpg

TIA

\

The remedy is due shortly for the left slide.. You may notice a J hook at the end of a straight run, also a toilet bowl effect when you lift off, and hover.. Where the copter goes into a giant circle.. This is based on one's compass declination.. Due a google search to find out yours.. Mine is 17.3+ .. Major problems, but they tend to correct during the course of the flight..
I had lines similar to that.. I was told it was due to the light at certain angles hitting the props.. Try your copter in a place where the lines show up, then remove the props and try again, see if you get the lines.. There's also numerous youtubes on this.. Can be corrected, apparently, by putting a small cowl on the top of the lens..

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

#2 - The lines across the picture are from the props and sunlight. Turn away from the sun and they will go away.

Naza.

I will try replicating the horizontal bars by pointing at the sun again.

Come to think about it, the bars are intermittent. You might be right that it only happens when facing the sun at a certain angle.

Thanks for the reply.

Dirty Bird said:
For the picture, try a different memory stick.

Silly. A different "memory stick" will not change the prop shadows that are hitting the lens.

Drone996 said:
Silly. A different "memory stick" will not change the prop shadows that are hitting the lens.

Did you read what I said immediately thereafter? They may well be prop shadows, but they display incredibly even banding in their presentation. They aren't normally so perfect which could, in fact, be an indication of a faulty memory card or camera.

Dirty Bird said:
For the picture, try a different memory stick. Could be sunlight, but that distortion looks very uniform so it may be a bad camera. Turn away from the sun. Does it still do it?

On the control issue. You have calibrated and moved the sticks through their full range of motion? Is your compass calibrated? Are you in NAZA mode or Vision mode? If in NAZA mode, are your S1/S2 switches both up? In the Assistant, when you flip S1/S2 on the calibration or IOC pages, are you seeing the Assistant display change indicating the switches are functioning properly? This could also possibly be a bad motor or ESC.

Camera:
I will try to replicate camera issue by pointing the camera towards the sun.

Controls:
Yes did the full range. Twirled around the sticks, made circles cw and Ccw.

Yes compass calibrated. Noticed the issue when flying out in the hills and I replicated the issue same in my alley.

Flying Naza mode. 3.02.

Yes Both s1 and s2 up.

Yes I confirmed the s1 and s2 moves in conjunction with the screen on the assistant display.

Thanks for the reply.

obiwan_pierogi said:
ocphantom said:
Hi fellow pilots.

Thanks for looking.

uty8yhu7.jpg

TIA

\

The remedy is due shortly for the left slide.. You may notice a J hook at the end of a straight run, also a toilet bowl effect when you lift off, and hover.. Where the copter goes into a giant circle.. This is based on one's compass declination.. Due a google search to find out yours.. Mine is 17.3+ .. Major problems, but they tend to correct during the course of the flight..
I had lines similar to that.. I was told it was due to the light at certain angles hitting the props.. Try your copter in a place where the lines show up, then remove the props and try again, see if you get the lines.. There's also numerous youtubes on this.. Can be corrected, apparently, by putting a small cowl on the top of the lens..

Appreciate the feedback. Will look into a lens hood.

Dirty Bird said:
Drone996 said:

Did you read what I said immediately thereafter? They may well be prop shadows, but they display incredibly even banding in their presentation. They aren't normally so perfect which could, in fact, be an indication of a faulty memory card.

Yes I read your entire post.They are prop shadows. Banding can't be caused by a faulty memory card.

Hmmm. I guess that brings us to motor, esc, or flight controller.

When you turn the motors by hand, do you feel similar resistance?

When you idle them up, do they appear to spin at similar speeds?

When spun up to max speed (without props installed!) do they sound the same?

Upon landing, does one motor feel warmer/cooler than the others?

Try moving the props to the opposite motor.

You could try opening the aircraft shell and verify all wires are securely plugged into the NAZA?

You might try removing the NAZA plugs, one at a time so you don't mix them, and reinserting. In case you have a soft connection.

How do the motor solder joints look on the ESCs?

ocphantom said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

Naza.

Come to think about it, the bars are intermittent. You might be right that it only happens when facing the sun at a certain angle.

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting... it sounds like your in course lock mode. I assume when you say 45 deg. it flies a straight path t a 45 deg angle from what should be straight ahead? Did it do this in Phantom mode when you first got it?

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
ocphantom said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

Naza.

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting... it sounds like your in course lock mode. I assume when you say 45 deg. it flies a straight path t a 45 deg angle from what should be straight ahead?

The camera remains pointing straight but the phantom flys about 45 deg to the left. This is with me applying forward right stick pressure

And it is a straight path flying at a 45 degree angle from the way it is facing? Did you fly it in Phantom before you changed it to NAZA?

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
And it is a straight path flying at a 45 degree angle from the way it is facing? Did you fly it in Phantom before you changed it to NAZA?

If I'm recall correctly, the GPS module has an arrow indicating the forward direction it is supposed to face. Not sure if it is visible when mounted? I wonder if your GPS is mounted 45 degrees off?

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

I also remember reading some users had to rotate the compass around the leg, but I don't recall the criteria for determining how to orient it correctly?

I did a quick search for lens hood. Looks like this issue is called "prop shadow". I couldn't find a solution other than electrical tape or just being conscience of where the camera is relative to the sun.

To help with the prop shadows you can try the props for the E300, they are grey and not as reflective

cougar said:
To help with the prop shadows you can try the props for the E300, they are grey and not as reflective

They are also opaque and will cast shadows. Reflectivity has nothing to do with the props blocking sunlight and casting shadows.

I talked to Steve at Dave's Motors about the controls and he thinks the issue is due to a bad Compass calibration. Which may be true. He said if after takeoff it swirls around like water in a toilet bowl instead of a nice steady hover then it needs another Compass calibration. He also recommended the remote-control calibration in the assistant.

I will try calibrating the remote again both in the Phantom assistant And RC assistant. I will also try another Compass calibration and make sure it hovers in place nice and steady before flying off and see if I can duplicate issue.

If that doesn't solve it I will resort to what dirty bird referenced and open up the bird and check connections. Btw all 4 rotors offer the same resistance when hand twirling them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures