wobbles after upgrade

Reaction score
hi guys just joined :)

just got myself a p2, and switched to naza mode and upgraded to v3.14 and now it wobbles slightly when take off. maybe just my fingers twitching abit but cant help feeling if the upgrade might have done something.

please help!

many thanks

Hi Froggy8
since the switch over, have you done an IMU and compass calibration, it may be that you need to do an IMU cal.
(if not sure how check out the forum loads of tips, No.1 make sure the Phantom is really cold before you start IMU cal).
Waylander

Reactions: froggy8
thank you very much for the reply.

when i upgraded it, i didnt do a compass calibration nor an IMU calibration, i dont know what IMU is.

Hi Froggy8

Search the forum, you'll probably find a link to a youtube video of how to do it, and read the Phantom instruction manual, it gives you a good description of what to do.

The IMU calibration is used to reset the phantoms Giro's, in simple terms they are the devices that tell the bird if she is flying level, etc, if they are not set correctly, you will get drifting, or wobbling. Also if one motor is not performing as well as the others, ( many reasons, bad or out of balance props for one ), may cause the craft to wobble as the IMU tries to compensate for one underperforming motor, by altering the speed of the other motors.
Waylander :)

im new to this and i might have flown it wrong if that makes sense. i may just be paranoid.

shall i just do another test flight?

i only tried flying it once downstairs in house with loads of things around it.

could it be possible the phantom can cause some sort of turbulence with the things around it?

would it be ok if i click on default parameter?

Hi Froggy8

No I don't think that will resolve your issue, read the user manual, or watch youtube videos, they will show you how to do an IMU calibration.....
Waylander

i have done the imu calibration now, just reading up on dischargin the battery after 20 cycles.

maybe you can help me please, from my understanding, all i do is leave the battery in the pahntom and switch it on till it goes off then charge teh battery. is that correct?

If You put the battery into the Phantom, and either, hover in position, or place a weight through the landing skids ( I just put a 2 lbs pri-bar through the legs ) and run the phantom until the battery drains down to the level, indicated in the DJI app, that you want ie 20%.

Waylander

Reactions: froggy8
is it normal if it wobble ever so slightly when take off? i have a feeling i might be expecting too much, been hovering for a while now indoor and it stays more or less in the same spot.

think i might have to put a video on here to show you but overall i really do think its flying/hovering great!

Reactions: Waylander
If You put the battery into the Phantom, and either, hover in position, or place a weight through the landing skids ( I just put a 2 lbs pri-bar through the legs ) and run the phantom until the battery drains down to the level, indicated in the DJI app, that you want ie 20%.

Waylander
i have made a thread with a video showing that it drifts to the right abit

doesnt seem to wobble now

Hi Froggy8

Search the forum, you'll probably find a link to a youtube video of how to do it, and read the Phantom instruction manual, it gives you a good description of what to do.

The IMU calibration is used to reset the phantoms Giro's, in simple terms they are the devices that tell the bird if she is flying level, etc, if they are not set correctly, you will get drifting, or wobbling. Also if one motor is not performing as well as the others, ( many reasons, bad or out of balance props for one ), may cause the craft to wobble as the IMU tries to compensate for one underperforming motor, by altering the speed of the other motors.
Waylander :)

HI Waylander

Your comment about the one underperforming motor potentially causing a wobble - this seems right on the mark with my P4P. It has a very slight oscillation in the hover, holds position well, but with a variation in sound associated with the change in revs of the motors (calm wind conditions).

My question - do you have any idea how much play one can expect on the motor when testing for looseness of the bearings? If I hold the motor and move it up and down the shaft, I get about 1mm movement on one of the motors and about half that on the others. Is there a benchmark you know about?

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl