With P4P out, Mavic is dead

It's kinda like the video I saw yesterday, where the girl says (of the Mavic) "The best camera is the one you have with you".
I saw that clip on you tube, its the comparison clip of the mavic vs the karma.
But i don't agree, she was impying that it doesnt matter wich drone you have with you, cause your dlsr your carrying wil always be better, but you cant shoot air photos or videos.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

But i don't agree, she was impying that it doesnt matter wich drone you have with you, cause your dlsr your carrying wil always be better, but you cant shoot air photos or videos.....

Nope, different video, comparing Mavic and P4Pro:

This may surprise you a bit, if you're holding out for the Inspire2...

It's impressive that the P4P comes so close to the Inspire camera in terms of dynamic range and resolution. But don't forget the Inspire can shoot video Raw files in ProRes to an SSD and that will kick the crap out of the the P4P camera. Of course you only need that if you are doing film or broadcast work.

Wow, that is impressive. Obviously the P4P isn't going to replace the Inspire for advanced professional use, but it's amazing how close they are (in terms of image quality at least) considering the price difference. It also shows how far the P4P surpasses any other consumer drone available today.

It makes no difference what the topic was when the quote was said because all photographers commonly say "the best camera is the one you have with you at the time of need". It's a long used statement and not associated with any one product.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Vasekp
Not likely on 2.4 Ghz, and even worse on 5.8 Ghz. A lower frequency would have better penetration but I doubt we'll ever see that, don't think there are any worldwide allocations available with sufficient bandwidth.

Yes definitely , I was just making a general point about penetration vs distance... and yes 5.8 would be worse... too bad there seems to be too much going on in the 900mhz band...

IMO the P4P launch and delivery is less troubled simply because the P4 platform already exist and is well developed, whereas the Mavic is an entirely new concept, designed and built from ground up - AC and Tx.

The Mavic is for portability, and that quality should not be underestimated: as one who dismissed the I1Pro for being a real pain to carry around, assemble and fly (it still scary ppl around me a lot more than the more common Phantom...), I'm sure I'll love the size and ease of the smaller drone.

The P4P is for higher quality photo and film jobs, but IMO the Phantom line is still a bit too big to have with me most times. I hate to turn every flight into a "happening", drawing ppl and attention and questions and looks. The Mavic should be a lot better in that sense too, stealthier, thus more flights in more places.

Even though the image is not up to P4P or I2, and may need more post production too, it's still good enough for the most jobs I get. At least for the time being, maybe that changes in the future with the spread of 4K TVs and monitors. And for pro demands (higher codec, resolution, etc.) I can always hire higher payload aircrafts too.

5 times the price? What am I missing here? It looks to me like you can get the inspire 2 with the X4S camera for a bit more than twice the price of the P4P, right ($3600)? And, isn't the X4S camera at least as good if not better than the P4P camera?
You're forgetting some things... mainly a pair of batteries for the Inspire 2 at that price point. Most people consider the Inspire 2 Premium combo with the X5S at $6K as the comparison. If you're popping for the Inspire 2, why wouldn't you put the best camera on it? The P4Pro looks to fill the gap nicely at a much lower price point. Those camera results are very impressive!

Wait a second. It doesn't come with batteries? I mean you are going to want extra batteries for your phantom too right? Those aren't free are they?

Maybe people should stop comparing the P4P to the 6K rig. It's called a budget. If you have to have "the best camera" the P4P is not the option. It would be the I2 with x5s. . That's not really a fair comparison. Maybe just compare it to the next step up, the I2 with x4s. The x4s is still a better camera than the P4P and you also get to turn the gimbal 360°, it flies even faster, and the props will not interfere with the video. There is also the option to upgrade your camera in the future if you choose to do so.

So if your budget can not afford the $6+ option, there is a $3600 option that should be considered. If $1500 is all your budget allows there is the P4P.

Last edited:
:( I wish money was no object! I would keep my P4 (practice for the kids) get a P4P and a mavic and a inspire2 with all the goodies. They all fly and have different capabilities so I can't really compare them equally. I told my wife that we should get a mavic, it would be nice to take along hiking because it's a whole different tool, she replied "your a tool" lol

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
:( I wish money was no object! I would keep my P4 (practice for the kids) get a P4P and a mavic and a inspire2 with all the goodies. They all fly and have different capabilities so I can't really compare them equally. I told my wife that we should get a mavic, it would be nice to take along hiking because it's a whole different tool, she replied "your a tool" lol
The P4P is great and all, but if I could justify spending the money I'd get the Mavic and the I2. With that combo, there is no need for the P4P. Mavic for portability and I2 for capability.

Have the Mavic... Love the Mavic! Have owned every Phantom since the Vision+, except the P4 as that had no real camera upgrade.

Mavic is for those people who need portability, that's why I bought it. When you're hauling around camera equipment through hiking trails, on bike or motorbike, less gear is best. I'm a long time amateur photographer and the Mavic produces a better image than one would think for the size. Trim function is a photographers dream. I now take it everywhere with me.

I've preordered the P4P not just for the stunning 20 Mpixel camera with improved dynamic range but more for the 5 sensors. I'm usually filming in areas with objects all around and it is super difficult to shoot forward and fly backwards. The P4P can do this while avoiding objects which is exactly what I need. I've been using a Typhoon H for this but the Typhoon is like the Inspire in that it's not very portable.

To sum up... LOVE the Mavic (it is my goto drone for everyday use), and looking forward to the P4P for those amazing shots.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I agree. I have a P3A and I love it. Each has its own purpose. I ordered a Mavic and was very excited until the P4P was announced. The sensors are enough to draw you in. But that camera seals the deal!!! Now I will have to start saving all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The P4P is great and all, but if I could justify spending the money I'd get the Mavic and the I2. With that combo, there is no need for the P4P. Mavic for portability and I2 for capability.

If money is a constraint, just go P4Pro for semi-portability and better camera feature.

P4P+ will offer the portability and deployability of the Mavic with the quality of the I2 at half the price. My only issue is the range and the true battery life for my style of flying. For my P4, I need a battery mod and a transmitter mod to reach up to 6 miles away for 12 mile flights, but if the P4P+ can deliver 4.3 miles reliably and fly 12 miles without a battery mod, I will be one happy camper, as the camera is insanely better than the P4!:cool:

I do love P4 for almost perfection however still want Phantom do flips and fly acro mode, make it all around drone.

I do love P4 for almost perfection however still want Phantom do flips and fly acro mode, make it all around drone.

Phantom 2 with DJI Naza controller in manual mode will do the trick ;-)

Really though, I'm not sure if you want a gimbaled acro mode bird... you probably want a dedicated 'copter with a fixed camera - and those can be made/had for pretty cheap.

Get a $55 Syma X5C and flip away. Trust me, you don't want your P4 gimbal doing flips and ripping off! I already have severe stress cracks on one of the P4 rear arms from chasing speed boats back and forth at high speed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z