Winds aloft - what is your comfort zone?

May I ask how you switch between these modes easily (e.g. w P4P). And does the Drone stay level or does it loose height during this manouvre as well? thanks
I'm not familiar with the P4P. On my P3P, there's a small 3-way switch on the left front of the controller. In ATTI mode the drone will maintain height, but won't stand still horizontally unless the wind is calm.

... or, you could use UAV Forecast like Nightwolf suggested above and know what the wind conditions are in seconds without even leaving the ground.
UAV Foreast - don't leave home(point) without it.
I'm a professional engineer by trade. I would always trust real-time data for my exact location over anything that an app tells me.

I would always trust real-time data for my exact location over anything that an app tells me.

I get that. So, if the windspeed at 100' is, let's say, 45 mph exactly how do you continue your experiment when you can't bring your drone back? I must have missed something.

Last edited:
I get that. So, if the windspeed at 100' is, let's say, 45 mph exactly how do you continue your experiment when you can't bring your drone back? I must have missed something.
As I do a rapid ascent, if wind speeds exceed the lateral maximum velocity of my drone, it will start drifting sideways. That's happened to me a couple of times. As soon as I notice this, I make a rapid descent to a lower altitude where I can control it. Then I land it, because it's too windy to fly.

As I do a rapid ascent, if wind speeds exceed the lateral maximum velocity of my drone, it will start drifting sideways. That's happened to me a couple of times. As soon as I notice this, I make a rapid descent to a lower altitude where I can control it. Then I land it, because it's too windy to fly.
Well said, MassDrone. The P4P clearly has a greater ability than I'm prepared to utilise, which will allow a safe descent or return to where you are if conditions are too much for comfort. I've experienced this a couple of times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94