Wind speed Threshold PV2+

Reaction score
Hi, people,

What do you think it is the Wind Speed threshold to fly PV2+ safely and with confidence :?:

At what speed do you put the "No Fly" Limit :?:

Experiences :?:

Thanks!!

Somewhere there's an officially suggested maximum of 'force 4' which is around 13mph.
The forward speed is not much above 30mph flat out in GPS mode so you are really pushing it much over 20mph.
The difficulty is estimating when it reaches a dangerous speed, especially higher up.
Wind speed can more than double above ground-level obstructions such as trees and buildings.

Alexbar said:
25 to 40 Mph?

it depends what mode you are flying in. in standard 'phantom' mode ( out the box ) it has less speed than in 'NAZA' mode on manual control cos it won't let the aircraft pitch or roll too much. i'm not sure if 'ATTI' mode gives you more pitch and roll than 'GPS' in NAZA mode????

that said though, you'd need some good skills to fly in manual mode in 35 knots of wind?? but i wouldn't recommend it unless you like repairing things! :mrgreen:

I don't like flying in more than 20kmph gusts. You can hear the phantom working hard in those conditions. It can manage but I don't like the feeling!

Alexbar said:
Hi, people,

What do you think it is the Wind Speed threshold to fly PV2+ safely and with confidence :?:

Thanks!!

20kt (gusting at ground level) is about the most I would fly in. Be careful with altitude though - big increases in wind speed with height are normal.

If you have OSD installed on your drone, test it on a a calm day. Find out your max speed at GPS/ATTI and Manual (if you use it) mode. That minus few meters per second should be the absolute maximum you should be flying in. For me it's probably 20mph, that I still feel comfortable, with gusts even stronger. But then I won't be trying to go for distance, just flying around nearby. 30-35 mph winds would probably be maximum my drone could handle if really need be.

Thing is that your max speed is dependant on your firmware version as well. the newer it is the slower the drone flys and less wind it tolerates.

We had an incident in Estonia where one pilot lost control of his drone in strong wind (behind trees) and before that he notices that at full power back home he was going 1-2m/s the opposite direction. I don't know if he did try to speed up with ATTI or not. Pilot was lucky and the drone was found the next day.

Depends on how adventurous you are. I have more fun and challenges when it is windy. Your phantom flies very well in the wind. The biggest challenge is getting it on the ground. I like do touch and goes when it's windy, it's excellent practice. I've never used them, but prop guards would have saved me a lot of $.

I've seen conch crawl 1 to 2 meters a second. I can get over 30 ms down wind when it's just a bit breezy. I won't necessarily test the 2000 meter range limit to the down wind side with a low battery, but g wizz man have some fun. Start slow, but play in the wind. It will make you a better pilot.

It's pretty amazing how well the P2V and P2V+ react to surprisingly high winds. I flew my P2V+ in gusty winds, 20-30mph and it did fine. I launched slightly sheltered and hand landed (as I always do, even in no wind). Just watching it hover is exciting. I've flown my P2V at almost 70mph downwind - http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ver-20849/ and it looks fantastic at that speed. My P2V+ has been to over 65mph.

I recently flew in very gusty (25kts+) conditions and was very surprised at how well the bird handled things.
I thought it was too windy but eventually decided I might be able to launch and get some flying in sheltered conditions behind a headland. When I launched and checked it out before intending to drop down to shelter, the Phantom was happily hovering so I cautiously put it up a little and then a bit more. I was concerned that the wind would be stronger at height but ended up sending her out quite a way, lots further than I originally thought I could. Here's a pic I took. The amount of white water gives an indication of wind speed and as you can see my Phantom was flying high.
http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/i-v4ww9r2/A

wharfbanger said:
Alexbar said:
Hi, people,

Thanks!!

20kt (gusting at ground level) is about the most I would fly in. Be careful with altitude though - big increases in wind speed with height are normal.

Yeah, thast my fear ... wind speed increase at high altitude. Seems we need telemetry of a new sensor ....

nhoover said:
It's pretty amazing how well the P2V and P2V+ react to surprisingly high winds. I flew my P2V+ in gusty winds, 20-30mph and it did fine. I launched slightly sheltered and hand landed (as I always do, even in no wind). Just watching it hover is exciting. I've flown my P2V at almost 70mph downwind - http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ver-20849/ and it looks fantastic at that speed. My P2V+ has been to over 65mph.

That wind seems incredible to me to be flying... :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl